It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy To Destroy Anything Other Than Corporate Owned Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
By chance I bumped into these articles on the net, in which the existance of independent Net Radio are being threatened. They have to pay to the extreme for royalties for copyrighted songs that they play. Something which regular broadcast radios never have to do. As a former internet radio broadcasterrrr using shoutcast. This kinda irritattes me.

First they attack net neutrality, then all kinds of independant media, and now this. To me it's a conspiracy to destroy anything that isn't mainstream or corporately controlled.

Internet Radio Suffers a Major Setback
Internet Radio on Life Support Again

Myths & Costs of webcasting.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
You'll always be able to get rights to use songs by the artist. True, you have to purchase the proper licenses, but it is still doable. Better than paying royalties every time you play a song.

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Do the regular radio stations do that? And if not, why do the internet radio stations have to do it?

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
You know, the corporate elites won't be able to run the world to the ground for much longer...

True they are getting away with so much but everything has a limit and this limit is in near sight.

Only a matter of time now before their greed pushes them too far and it all collapses right back in their faces.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Do the regular radio stations do that? And if not, why do the internet radio stations have to do it?

Yes, regular radio stations have to pay the artist to play their songs. The internet stations were also paying the same rate, but the issue here is that the Copyright Review Board sees internet stations as part of the digital domain and characterizes every play as a download. This really is a huge blow to any internet radio station that plays anything other then truly indie (and I mean TRULY indie as most "indie" labels are now owned by larger corporations).

This is part of a larger trend of the music business shooting itself in the foot. It's the problem with what happens when people who know nothing about the music world try and run the music business. F### 'em. I hope the corporations collapse on their own crap music that everyone steals anyways.

Maybe one day they'll realize that if you release good music, people will feel it's worth buying. No wonder people download songs when all they want is one song off an album of 12 crappy songs.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
What about radio stations that broadcast on radios and also allow people to stream the station from their website? Would they have to pay two different royalty fees?

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Hey guys, I will close this thread. Please discuss further in the other one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks.

Bandit

new topics

top topics

join