It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. 3000 Troops And Gun Ships To Be Deployed In Darfur

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   

U.N. 3000 Troops And Gun Ships To Be Deployed In Darfur

www.iht.com

The U.N. Security Council moved swiftly to start what will likely be a months-long process to deploy the first significant U.N. peacekeeping force in conflict-wracked Darfur following the Sudanese government's long-awaited approval.

Council members immediately started the process of getting U.N. funding for the 3,000 troops, police and other personnel — as well as six attack helicopters and other aircraft and equipment to beef up the beleaguered African Union force which has been unable to halt Darfur's four-year conflict.

The U.N.'s most powerful body called on the government late Monday to facilitate "the immediate deployment" of the so-called "heavy support package," which is the second phase of a U.N. plan to help the 7,000-strong African Union force. But it made clear the U.N. goal is deployment of the third and final phase — a 20,000-strong "hybrid" U.N.-AU force.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
english.pravda.ru
www.playfuls.com
www.timesargus.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
UN chief urges action over Darfur (from ATSNN)
UN to investigate Darfur genocide

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
For any one who has had any concern over what has been happening in Darfur this has been long awaited. The things that have been happening to the people in Darfur has been beyond barbaric. As the new states this will not yet be happening but it is in the process. It may still be years before the hundreds of thousands can return to the burned out wreckage that use to be there homes.

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
If any one has been following this here is something new.

SUDAN'S government is using airplanes disguised as United Nations craft to carry out bombings in the conflict in Darfur, a newspaper citing a United Nations report said today.

The confidential UN report also said Sudan was violating UN Security Council resolutions by flying arms into the region.

The Times' story includes photographs from the UN report of a Sudanese armed forces plane. UN investigators said it had been whitewashed and had "UN'' stenciled on its wing and bombs laid out beside it.
sorce

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
its about time. this has gone on for far to long.those poor people are going threw hell.it makes me think how good me my wife and kids have it.I think we could do soo munch more in helping people in dufur,sudan than we are doing in iraq.the un and the world should have been on this at least 2 years ago

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Didnt the U.N. make a statement about this move like six months ago?

Was that instance something completely different or is that just how long it takes to work a plan through U.N. red tape?

Regardles it would be nice for them to get some help, finally, even if it is just for show. *cough cough, Rwanda, cough, cough*

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
About time is right, this line in the OP is comical:

The U.N. Security Council moved swiftly to start what will likely be a months-long process to deploy the first significant U.N. peacekeeping force in conflict-wracked Darfur following the Sudanese government's long-awaited approval.

Moved swiftly? Wrong answer, these poor people have been suffering far too long with no concerted effort to stop the genocide, now they are "moving swiftly?", tell that to the thousands of victims who would have had a chance if the UN had in fact "moved swiftly."

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Didnt the U.N. make a statement about this move like six months ago?

Was that instance something completely different or is that just how long it takes to work a plan through U.N. red tape?

Yes this statement was made many months ago. I think the big stumbling block hear was they were waiting for approval from Sudan. I am surprised they gave any approval at all. But from the second source I posted, the Sudan is now apparently using plans painted with U.N. markings to drop bombs on the people in Darfur.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Moved swiftly? Wrong answer, these poor people have been suffering far too long with no concerted effort to stop the genocide, now they are "moving swiftly?", tell that to the thousands of victims who would have had a chance if the UN had in fact "moved swiftly."

No they have not moved swiftly. For some reason they might have expected the government of Sudan to welcome them with open arms even though they would be there to stop the genocide that they are causing. This is still a long ways from over. It might take six months or so now before the troops start arriving. And even then it is just a token force. Don't really know how much good it will do.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
It's about time Sudan or any of the other governing bodies allowed the UN to come in and at least offer a helping hand

For those of you that are interested, Google Earth raised the quality of their pictures in the Darfur area and have captions about some of the things that happened in Darfur.

There are high resolution pictures from Google Earth about these devastated areas along with stories from "the people" and before and after pictures of some of the villages.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It's about time more help arrived in the area to stop the tragedy there from getting worse. Too much killing has gone on while the World has twiddled it's collective thumbs.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Talk about moving slow. According to This it was supposed to be 17,000 troops IN JANUARY. The AU force was supposed to be gone already.

The only question in my mind though is when the Southern Sudanese will make their play for Kordofan, Blue Nile, and seccession, and how big this AU/UN mission will be when it happens, and how much support they will give to it. If I had to guess, the Ethiopians will at the very least be quietly passing weapons to the South.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The AU would have left, the issue was one of financial and logistics.

Several western nations stepped-up and provided money (The US still provides something along the lines of 80% of the cost to keep the AU forces fielded) and the EU and UN were/are providing near additional combined US$ 200 million. Canada and NATO have been providing equipment and many other nations have been supplementing the necessary funds…

Getting meaningful UN sanctions and SC support has also been a difficult road, and don’t expect UNMIS to have many teeth:

It has also been stalled over threats by Russia, which sells substantial amounts of arms to Khartoum, and China, which has made large investments in Sudan's burgeoning oil sector, to veto a resolution that would impose economic sanctions or an arms embargo against the regime.
Source

The geopolitical situation has been moved to work around the UN because of the conflict of certain national interests forcing the need to go to direct national sources for function.

mg

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
"U.N. 3000 Troops And Gun Ships To Be Deployed In Darfur"

Just in time to stop the massacres... oh wait...

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
this is pure jokes

1. millions of people are alreday displaced
2. thousends of people have already been killed
3. millions of people are starving in their own country

this whole thing is a joke

the UN should have steped in as soon as this mess came to light
insted they waited a couple years for the mess to escilate

the UN is a Joke

and this deployment is to late

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
About time. This has been going on for far too long, ridiculous.

I've recently been looking at Google Earth to see the extent of the damage and it's really sickening. If you haven't checked it out, do so, that'll give you realistic information on just how bad the situation is.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

the UN should have steped in as soon as this mess came to light
insted they waited a couple years for the mess to escilate

the UN is a Joke

Yes the UN should have stepped in as soon as this mess was recognized. No they should not have waited several years.
But I don't think the UN is a complete joke. Yes they have proven to be rather lame in many situations, such as this one, but I at least think they are one step above the League Of Nations.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
but I at least think they are one step above the League Of Nations.

Heh! A good point, there.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
If only this type of mobilization would have occured in Angola and Mozambique in a "timely" fashion as well, we might have been able to avert such disasters.

This is emblematic of the UN, financial interests first, peoples lives second.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
InSpiteOf.
I am confused about the financial interests. How does it make for financial interests for the UN to let Sudan kill all the people in Darfur?

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I was referring to to National and Financial interests held by certain members of the UN Security Counsul.

IE Russia and its Arms/military technology and Oil ties
Source
source

I didnt mean to imply that the general UN assembly believes the financial interests are more important, but when a policy of inaction has taken root for the better part of 4 years it makes me wonder exactly why such a waste of life is occuring, and who wants it to continue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join