It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Domino Theory"... so did it actually happen considering Vietnam was lost?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The theory that the pro-imperialists of the era shocked the public with was that if we didnt support the imperialist programs in Asia, most notably Vietnam, that all of the other little countries in the region would fall over to the commies like a 'domino effect'.
en.wikipedia.org...

Well we lost Vietnam, to the commies, so did the rest of the asia region fall over as the imperialists warned?

This could be a very important angle of perspective from the Cold War era as this was the hinge that the imperialist establishment used to justify ballooning national debt and the eventual deaths of millions.

[edit on 16-4-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The funny thing about this is that the arguments of the hardcore, extreme right fanatics that actually believed in a good reason to invade Vietnam fall apart when confronted with the reality of the Domino Theory:
It was never proven.
After intervention in Cambodia (putting an end to the Khmer Rouge's somewhat misguided ideals of autocide) and other neighbouring states the dominoes fell no further.
South East Asia didn't become a giant Commie superstate and the 'safety' of the world was threatened no further. Heck U.S intervention has practically crippled Vietnam.

Also I'm kinda confused about the intention of your post IgnoranceIsntBlisss so please enlighten me.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
One of my primary research subjects is American Imperialism. I'm trying to chart the entire history of it (check my sig links and other posts). I have major sections of it at the expert level, especially the lead up and so on involved with that particular war, but I've been into this particular (historical) "thrust' for less than a year, and I wasn't around back then to know this sort of worldwide perspective after Nam. I was hoping some might be able to further elaborate on this specific subject while also getting it some exposure to the bigger picture at the same time. I seek to document the entire history of 'AI' and lay it all out into persepective so people can see the real truth.

I see this as a serious issue on American history. For starters like it was ever our business what went on over in their continent to begin with. But more directly this domino claim literally led to the deaths of 58,000+ Americans and millions of havenots. And if "our" intentions was never truley about "freeing' people it sheds serious light on the imperialist actions of the US Government today, adn all of yesterday.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Try using a different source than wikipedia and maybe we can discuss this intelligently. We all know wikipedia is B.S.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
What usage of the word "imperialism" are you using? It's been my understanding that under the conventional use of the word, of the powerful nations in world history the United States has been pretty much the least imperialist by far.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Imperialism:

From "Your Dictionary"
1. The policy of extending a nation's authority by territorial acquisition or by the establishment of economic and political hegemony over other nations.
2. The system, policies, or practices of such a government.

We invaded Iraq and Afghanistan and they are under our control. The U.S. may not nominally be imperialist, but it is in practice. Certainly, our govt practices imperialism and that would fit definition #2.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
One of my primary research subjects is American Imperialism. I'm trying to chart the entire history of it (check my sig links and other posts). I have major sections of it at the expert level, especially the lead up and so on involved with that particular war, but I've been into this particular (historical) "thrust' for less than a year, and I wasn't around back then to know this sort of worldwide perspective after Nam. I was hoping some might be able to further elaborate on this specific subject while also getting it some exposure to the bigger picture at the same time. I seek to document the entire history of 'AI' and lay it all out into persepective so people can see the real truth.

I have 2 books to suggest to you for very well-documented reading:
The People's History of the U.S. - by Howard Zinn (Princeton professor)
William Manchester 's volumes of history, sorry don't know the exact name but you can check it out on Amazon.

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking here. Could you clarify a little? Thankyou.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by seisen
Try using a different source than wikipedia and maybe we can discuss this intelligently. We all know wikipedia is B.S.

Thanks for the response.

Could you please prove to me that the article on Wikipedia is 'B.S':

The domino theory was a 20th Century foreign policy theory, promoted by the government of the United States, that speculated if one land in a region came under the influence of Communists, then more would follow in a domino effect. The domino effect suggests that some change, small in itself, will cause a similar change nearby, which then will cause another similar change, and so on in linear sequence, by analogy to a falling row of dominoes standing on end. The Domino Theory was used by successive United States administrations during the Cold War to justify American intervention around the world. Precursors to the theory include the Marshall Plan and the Korean War.

Doesn't that sum up Domino Theory pretty damn well?
Oh I see where your coming from. Go on. Post a link to an extremist, right wing organisation that believes that 'Nam had to happen. The U.S had to invade.
Couldn't let those damn Reds take over the world now, could we?

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   

So could you tell us then what part you think is BS? The domino theory, that we lost in Vietnam, that we were ever in Vietnam, etc.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
It's been my understanding that under the conventional use of the word, of the powerful nations in world history the United States has been pretty much the least imperialist by far.

That's because a major side of the empire is done covertly, especially since the Cold War.

For an in your face discussion of the overt side please see here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
And if you'd like to get into the covert side please bring it up there so this thread doesnt get way out of context, if you could.

But for here we can talk about how Vietnam itself was an imperialist war, which is no surprise as it was France's colony and that's a major reason we 'got sucked into' it.

[edit on 18-4-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
So you refuse to accept that the Domino Theory ever existed because you have a gripe with wikipedia? Jeez.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
I'm not sure what exactly you are asking here. Could you clarify a little?

Well i was hoping to gain some added insight from any who may have a good background/knowledge of foreign affairs from that era, and additionally I figured that naturally any who know this stuff would be able to throw out some resources with ease in knowing the material.

I hope to check out those books. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
There are no sources listed on that wikipedia page, I'm not saying the domino theory doesn't exist I'm saying find a better source than freaking wikipedia. Anybody can put whatever they want on their, why do you think colleges are banning it, because it is B.S.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
en.wikipedia.org...

Well we lost Vietnam, to the commies, so did the rest of the asia region fall over as the imperialists warned?

Note how I asked for more info, after throwing that easy wikipedia link up there incase anyone wanted to know the basics of the concept.

This thread isnt about debating wikipedia. As far as Vietnam history speaks for itself. I asked for more input. I didn't ask to debate if the Domino Theory existed. If you doubt that it did I have video of characters like LBJ using it to justify his imperial war.

Nice Red Herring

en.wikipedia.org...
O wait, maybe "Red Herring" isn't real since it's at wikipedia

But really, yo, wikipedia is a work in progress. So is the United States. Let's ban America while we're at it.

[edit on 18-4-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   

There are no sources listed on that wikipedia page, I'm not saying the domino theory doesn't exist I'm saying find a better source than freaking wikipedia. Anybody can put whatever they want on their, why do you think colleges are banning it, because it is B.S.

Seisen, I was a teeneager during the Vietnam war years, and because my family was in politics, we read and watched on TV everything we could about the war. The Domino theory was the reason they gave for us going into Vietnam in the first place. The Domino theory was everywhere, the govt did a PR job on it, just like they have terrorism.
The Domino theory is real, it's a fact.

IIB, I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. You can U2U me.

top topics

join