It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Officials: At Least 32 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'm not saying banning computer games will solve anything, in fact I am saying the opposite. My main point was that Cho is a product of society.

Maybe he could have been helped, maybe he couldn't. Its the manner that everyone is laying into him now... makes me think what they were like to him before hand...

I don't think identifying faults in people (Bullying also) and rejecting them as people is the way forward... getting people help, being more open to mental illness and accepting people for what they are could help society not produce Freaks as in this incident.

And I am not targeting American society only, because this happens all around the Western world but more frequently ends in suicide rather than rampany killings.

But at the end of the day this is the reason this occured, it didn't occur because of a computer game, because Guns are available for purchase. As soon as people realise that the way in which societies are structured can produce this kind of individual, steps can be taken in preventing future incidents...

Pointing the finger and slating people (Bullying) is not the answer and will undoubtly make fragile minds think more irratic.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Astras]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astras
......Pointing the finger and slating people (Bullying) is not the answer and will undoubtly make fragile minds think more irratic.

And if no one had ever bullied him how would this have played out ?? my guess is it would have NEVER happened !! Bullies always act as if its not their fault that someone snapped after they picked on them for years.....take away the bully equation....and my guess is that this would have not taken place.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Fred Phelps wants to protest at these kids funerals? Bastard! He knows nothing of the Christ and the teachings of Jesus. He exhibits all that is wrong and ill with Christanity today and nothing of what is right about it. AND he is a coward to boot. A few years back a disturbed man walked into a gay bar here in Roanoke Va. (35 miles northeast of Va. Tech) and started shooting. By the time it was over one was dead and several others wounded. Fred Phelps then announced that he and his group would protest at that young man's funeral. He also asked the local police to provide him protection so he could practice his first amendment rights. They politely and correctly refused. he never showed up and the young man was allowed to be laid to rest in peace. Once again some a--hole tried to hide behind the first amendment as he spewed poison. Fortunately this time he was refused cover for his hate, and faced with the possibly of having to deal with the reprocusions of his actions, backed down like the low life coward that he is.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I think something needs to be said about NBC airing Cho's material so soon after the tragedy. It sickens me that NBC is profiting from this while families are still mourning. There is no tangible reason in that material for commiting the murders. He was a sick, troubled kid period

When something like this is aired on national news it just shows other sick people that they can become famous for killing..............now that shows how screwed up our capitalistic society is. It reminds me of the movie "Natural Born Killers" or "15 minutes".

Forget about guns, video games etc. How about the fact that mass murders become famous due to the capitalistic society we live in......

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I f he hadnt have been bullied he still propb. would have bee crazy but he wouldnt have been as violent. Alot of people were/are bullied..But there has to be something a bit off with you in the first place to take it to the level of killing people (esp if they are no the ones that bullied you)

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
this event surves a higher purpose that we don't understand at this point in our spirital evolution...

Maybe changing the way people think about having alot about materalist wealth...............

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I just found this image form Infowars.com ,it show's what could be Cho and another individual in military clothing and a ski-mask.They also seem to be inside a military style tent.

:pu:

Also this is the site where it came from.
www.libertyforum.org...

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Samblak]

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Samblak]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
hmmm
that could be anyone in that picture

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Yes it could be anyone, but it does resemble him and nobody has declared it not to be him yet.Rumor is that the New York Time's is looking into it.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
What if it's a dopplegannger. You know, someone who looks like you but is not you. Heck they could have taken a picture of this guy in the still shots possing with the guns and we would not know the difference, same with the school shootings and we would not know the difference, and well as they say, dead men tell no tales. You just get some asian guy who is the duplicate to do the killing. Just search for a suicidal patient that is on medication.

I am been hearing so much about this Manchurian Canadidate thing. I would like to thing this was just a regular school shooting, well there is nothing regular about them is there. What I mean is, I would like to think that the government was not involved, or this was not a cover up for something, or some weird illuminati, power of the number 33 thing, but some of the stuff does seem a little bit off.

There was a really good conspiracy thread around here somewhere on this, but I can't seem to relocate it.

Anyone remember that late 80's movie, Heathers?

People will just buy up anything as long as it fits a profile, and most times we won't even question it.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The VT shooting was a great tragedy, but I myself am a student at a large university, and honestly, I'm not surprised that this happened. I mean, college campuses are so large, that anyone could walk in and start shooting people, although that could really happen anywhere. I know at my university when you enter the dorms they have an individual at a desk waiting for you to show them your id card or sign in, but to be completely honest, there's nothing stopping someone from just walking in, signing in at the desk, and then going up to the 7th or 8th floor and start a shooting spree. Therefore, a question that comes up is "what steps can we take to prevent this from happening again?" and honestly, I can't think of a single thing. I mean, I guess you could check people and their belongings (bags, etc.) before they enter a building, but do you know how long that would take, especially at a large campus like VT's? You could compare doing that to having metal detectors at inner city schools. It might work but it would be far to inconvenient and time consuming. God, imagine if you had to wait 20 minutes to get into the building where your next class is being held? People would just give up and go home and skip for the day. And even if bags were checked, if someone is determined enough, they could get in. It's terrible that this happened and hopefully some good will come from it, and I think we can all agree that our hearts are with the families of the victims and hopefully they can regain their hope and happiness

[edit on 19-4-2007 by MKamo]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Grover, for your 'here there be monsters' post:

You have voted grover for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Thank you for your insight, reasoning and compassion. Especially in regards to Cho's family, they will be the forgotten victims in this tragedy.
I hope that you will share that post with others not on this board, I think it comes closest of all I have read to the true message that we should take from these sad events.
With your permission that is something I would like to do - at least with my family and friends. U2U me if you feel that would be appropriate.
To anyone on these boards that haven't read that post, please do so, and take the time to contemplate it.
Cheers.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I knew I was right on this. He was adjudicated by a judge with a mental illness in 2005.

Someone is going to pay big. Federal Laws where broken and he should have never had a gun period.

Rules Should Have Barred Weapon Purchase of VA Shooter

news.yahoo.com

McLEAN, Va. - A judge's ruling on Cho Seung-Hui's mental health should have barred him from purchasing the handguns he used in the Virginia Tech massacre, according to federal regulations. But it was unclear Thursday whether anybody had an obligation to inform federal authorities about Cho's mental status because of loopholes in the law that governs background checks.

Cho purchased two handguns in February and March, and was subject to federal and state background checks both times. The checks turned up no problems, despite a judge's ruling in December 2005 that Cho "presents an imminent danger to himself as a result of mental illness."

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
And I was right too.

From the same article you quote!

Virginia State Police send information on prohibited buyers to the federal government. They maintain that the sale was legal under state law and would have been barred only if the justice had committed Cho to a psychiatric hospital. Barnett ordered outpatient treatment instead.

Initially states were required to provide all relevant information to federal authorities when the instant background checks were enacted, but a U.S. Supreme Court ruling relieved them of that obligation.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I wonder where this kid learned to shoot?He used two smaller caliber handguns ,right?Just wondering where and when he trained to be so accurate with the weapons that he had.I agree he should have never have been sold those guns in the first place.
Very tragic.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
You know why they are saying this? CYA that is what they are doing. LOL!

Because no one wants to be wrong, get sued, be in the media for screwing up and have political blood on their hands.

They screwed up and they know it.

This is going to be a political nightmare, since he was deem "mentally ill"

Originally posted by makeitso
And I was right too.

From the same article you quote!

Virginia State Police send information on prohibited buyers to the federal government. They maintain that the sale was legal under state law and would have been barred only if the justice had committed Cho to a psychiatric hospital. Barnett ordered outpatient treatment instead.

Initially states were required to provide all relevant information to federal authorities when the instant background checks were enacted, but a U.S. Supreme Court ruling relieved them of that obligation.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
thank you for the kind words ilandrah. I write, not professionally, but I write as a way to work out things in my own mind and sometimes i share them, either because I am pleased how it came out, or I feel that it is something worth sharing. I have posted it on various other places I go as well as sending it off to the local paper (Roanoke Times) I do not know if they will print it or not.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
UPDATE

25 are now dead in this shooting, making this one of the worst in US history,

Actually, it is 33 deaths (including the killer), but it is not the worst in US history.

Bath School, 18 May 1927, 45 kills, 58 injured.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

Originally posted by asala
UPDATE

25 are now dead in this shooting, making this one of the worst in US history,

Actually, it is 33 deaths (including the killer), but it is not the worst in US history.

Bath School, 18 May 1927, 45 kills, 58 injured.

en.wikipedia.org...

that was not a shooting though... that was a bombing. In regards to shooting deaths on campus, this is the worst in US history.

BTW Asala's post was made early in the of the 16th, the day of the shootings when the tally of known dead was still rising.

[edit on 20-4-2007 by grover]

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
So... Rush Limbraugh, (or as I like to call him, mush loosebowels) that big fat drug addled idiot got on the air yesterday and said that Cho Seung Hui was a liberal because he was railing against the wealthy in his video.

OH SHUT UP!!!

What I want to know is how do I get a job that pays me millions a year to spout bull hooey on the air?

What's sad is that somewhere there are damned fool idiots nodding their empty little heads in agreement going... yep, uhuh had to be a liberal that one yep uhuh.

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46 >>

join