It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Officials: At Least 32 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
I disagree.

Prove it. Show me where he was committed.

He was refered, and released not committed.

VA Gunman Committed Thread

Va. Tech gunman was stalker; went to mental facility

www.newsday.com

On Dec. 15, a friend of Cho alerted campus police that Cho might be suicidal. Police transported him to Access, a state mental health agency, which arranged for him to be committed for mental health treatment. Flinchum said he did not know the duration of the treatment or whether it was a voluntary or involuntary commitment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-4-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Here is a pic that the Gunman sent to nbc during the 2hrs between shootings 1&2

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Wow,that is scary.I'm really afraid that there going to be copycat's that want there 15 minute's of fame also.What's really scary is that the next person is probably going to try to kill more then this person.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
GOOD GOD!!! What happened to that young man's soul to turn him into THAT? That is what I want to know.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Christ that image really disturbed me a lot. What was going on inside of his head when he did that. More to the point why would someone want to mail something to the media half way through committing such a massacre it's almost like stopping from washing a car going out to the post box so you don't miss the post that day and come back. I know he did not obviously want to alert anyone to his planned actions but still seems pretty devoid of any kind of humanity. I am starting to find this whole thing very creepy indeed.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Heres a list of all the threads that have been made about it so far, I thought it might be good to have while this is still a major news thing. Then add more when they are made.

Virginia Tech Shooting Threads

Federal Officials: At Least 32 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting – News Story Discussion

Va. Tech gunman was stalker; went to mental facility

Holocaust survivor sacrificed his life to save students at VT

Killer had Imaginary Girlfriend

CU Junior Arrested For Comments About Virginia Tech Gunman

Virginia Tech Shooting

32 people shot and killed. Heres some of their profiles

VT Shooter, Some questions

VT.. Ishmael Ax + Pope?

V. Tech Shooters GRAPHIC PLAYS *for reading*

First hand account from one DAMN lucky Virginia Tech student! Questions regarding the official story

VaTech Gunman Contacted NBC News During Massacre

Breaking: Cho sent package to NBC in Between Va Tech Shootings

Gun Control Issues

Reid warns against rush on gun control

Guns, Constitution, Rights, Bans Debate Thread

Other School’s Issues Following VT

Bomb Threat at Texas University

Threats rattle schools in 7 states: Update 10 states.

Will we ever be safe from School shootings

Other

What you would have done

Freedom of Speech blocked

Virginia School Shooting: Another Government Black-Op?

Medication Caused Virginia Tech Massacre Shootings

Ismail Ax- VT shooting linked to terrorism

If anymore pop up I'll try and add them as quick as I can while I still have an edit button.

[edit on 18/4/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by lazuruswolf
Christ that image really disturbed me a lot. What was going on inside of his head when he did that. More to the point why would someone want to mail something to the media half way through committing such a massacre it's almost like stopping from washing a car going out to the post box so you don't miss the post that day and come back. I know he did not obviously want to alert anyone to his planned actions but still seems pretty devoid of any kind of humanity. I am starting to find this whole thing very creepy indeed.

People with that type of psychosis routinely feel the need to explain or justify what they did or planned to do. From theri point of view, the reasoning is important because it validates their thinking and justifies what they plan to do.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Justify what?!? Sorry but there whole thing he did was evil beyond anyone's comprehension and that is wrong. I am sorry but I don't buy that at all it's not justified it was the act of someone who was mentally sick and that image shows a person who has lost control of his mind and any morals he had left. You can't justify going and killing people you you do not even know. Sorry but that's insane he's not justifying anything other than wanting to be made a martyr for what he has done and that's not able to be excused.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
makeitso,

With all due respect I was a law enforcement officer for over 7 years I know basic local, state, and federal laws well. When someone has been committed to a mental institution, per federal Gun Control Act of 1968 they don't get a gun period.

The ATF regulation is trumped by all federal laws, because it is only a regulation that can be interpreted.

He was committed to a mental facility, end of story.

April 18, 2007 — - A court found that Virginia Tech killer Seung-Hui Cho was "mentally ill" and potentially dangerous. Then it let him go. In December 2005 -- more than a year before Monday's mass shootings -- a district court in Montgomery County, Va., ruled that Cho presented "an imminent danger to self or others." That was the necessary criterion for a detention order, so that Cho, who had been accused of stalking by two female schoolmates, could be evaluated by a state doctor and ordered to undergo outpatient care. According to the "Temporary Detention Order" obtained by ABC News, psychologist Roy Crouse found Cho's "affect is flat and mood is depressed. "He denies suicidal ideation. He does not acknowledge symptoms of a thought disorder," Dr. Crouse wrote. "His insight and judgment are normal." That information came to light two days after Cho, a Virginia Tech senior, killed 32 people and then himself in a shooting rampage on the university's campus. 'An Imminent Danger to Himself' The evaluation came from a psychiatric hospital near Virginia Tech, where Cho was taken by police in December 2005, after two female schoolmates said they received threatening messages from him, and police and school officials became concerned that he might be suicidal. After Dr. Crouse's psychological evaluation of Cho, Special Justice Paul M. Barnett certified the finding, ordering followup treatment on an outpatient basis. On the form, a box is checked, showing that Cho "presents an imminent danger to himself as a result of mental illness." Immediately below it was another box that is not checked: "Presents an imminent danger to others as a result of mental illness." Authorities said they had no contact with Cho between then and Monday's mass killings.

ABC News

RT, I think there is a difference in VA between "committed" and a temporary observation order.
In this case he was not "committed". He was placed under temporary observation. The psychologist basically found that he was depressed. Depression without a suicide attempt is not considered a disability. That is why he passed the NICS. If he was subject to a in-patient care (committed) then he would have been barred from gun ownership and flagged on NICS.

I will check with the lil'mrs. when she gets home tonight, she will know. They are working them 14 hours a day right now at the VT Counseling Center. What is cool is that people from local business are bringing in breakfast, lunch and dinner for them. Bad part is she is getting home around 11-12 every night.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Did anyone happen to get a look at the picture NBC had posted earlier (can't seem to find it now) appeared to be page 11 of the manifesto (I think it was page 11, but definitely one of the five pages they did show). It was a picture of the sky.

The picture of the sky had something in it. Possibly ... a satellite.. or ufo, but now I'm unable to find it. Did anyone else catch it?

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   
A product of American society, tragic really, the gunman must really have been rejected I wonder if the signs of the incident were apparent before hand. I cant believe that people didn't see signs of any of this, seems strange.

Something will have to be blamed for his frame of mind.... maybe violent computer games again...... Ban Grand Theft Auto? Not the American society.

Do you think that banning a computer game of this sort will really make a difference. How can something like this be stopped?

The answer lies in forcasting the incident before hand, I'm not having it that people in contact with the killer didn't have any idea that something was wrong.
And I wonder how much to blame his environmental society are for "Pushing him over the edge"

It is apparent that the gunman suffered from mental illness yet unclear how this illness developed. From reading certain articles some point out that friends of his ExGirlfriend warned her of him, and asked her why she was with such a guy.

Do people not realise that this rejection could be the foundation for the problem. And if a few people thought this perhaps it was the attitude of the University. Reading the Newspapers this morning (English) there are statements given from numerous people who knew Cho, stating he was a loner. I wonder how many of the people tried to give him the time of day.

There is no excuse for the crime that this phsyco commited my point is how did he get there in the first place and the answer is in the lack of interaction, trauma of rejection. I can only imagine what he went through when I read statements of people still joining in on the "Lets tear this guy apart" bandwagon which probibly occured also during his life.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Astras]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astras
Something will have to be blamed for his frame of mind.... maybe violent computer games again...... Ban Grand Theft Auto? Not the American society.

Do you think that banning a computer game of this sort will really make a difference. How can something like this be stopped?

I am sorry but pinning the blame on Grand Theft Auto as a game that is somehow responsible is absurd. The families of Columbline did that as well and tried to sue the games industry it failed mainly because the industry pointed out that the public and gamers themselves ask for violent games and most of the surveys conducted or research asking if playing these types of games causes them to be more violent most said No to that.

Also GTA as a games series has poor graphics that in no way reflect what it would be like to kill someone in a real world situation I've got some of the games and to be honest I would find it hard if nigh on impossible to think that someone could use those games as a combat training simulator is laughable. It's just too crap for that and unrealistic as well.

You would have to be seriously off your head to take a game by Rockstar like that as what would happen in a real world situation as serious and realistic those games are not any of those things and I personally still feel that violence passive or interactive is partially to blame so is the media on so many different levels. We can't escape the fact that society as well as a whole is also to blame.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I wonder if NBC's trying to capitalize off of being sent the "manifesto?"

They could advertise their network as "mass murderer approved" or "Cho's favorite source for all the up to date information." I bet it was all Brian Williams or David Gregory's fault. They were sending him messages through their reporting no doubt.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
“Here There Be Monsters”

In the old days when cartographers came to unexplored areas of the world, they left it blank and either drew in dragons or wrote, “Here there be monsters.” Of course we now know that there are no monsters lurking on the edges of the world; but alas, we cannot say the same about the perimeters of the human mind and consciousness. This week, unfortunately, we have become acquainted with one of those monsters, Cho Seung Hei.
The events at Virginia Tech Monday are horrifying, they tear at the soul and make one want to reach out some way with a hug, a word of comfort; an act of mercy, prayers for the living and prayers for the dead. The tears flow, the gut clinches but still there is no relief.
Perhaps because it is so local, and so senseless, I have found the massacre to be the most moving and heart wrenching event since 9/11.
How did this happen? Apparently there were dozens of warning signs, but still 33 are dead, 29 are wounded. By all accounts this young man had all the bells and whistles going to warn people that, here there be monsters. Some it seems picked up on them, but still nothing was done. Why? Simply put, we really don't want to believe that another soul; much less one so young, can be so damaged, so toxic as to be dangerous to not just themselves but to others as well. We just don't want to believe that someone can be so lost and so full of anger and hate that they can be coldblooded enough to plan and execute such an event. Yes, there are terrorists. Yes, there are mass murderers and war lords, criminals, and gangs; but one so young. No, it cannot be. The same was true at Columbine. No one wanted to believe, despite all the warnings that those two young men, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold could commit such a premeditated act with such, dare we say, glee. Here there be monsters. And now, Cho Seung Hei. Not only did he planned his act out, in advance, he stopped after killing two, made a package advertising, and justifying his act with words, with video, with audio and with photos, and then mailed it off to NBC. Here there be monsters.
I watched what they showed of the video on the news last night, I saw the photos and heard the voice. Since then I have seen more on line and the only thing I can ask is, My God what happened to this young man's soul to turn him into that... that... monster we all saw last night?
Was the young man insane, mentally unbalanced, delusional? No sane person commits acts like this. At the same time he was smart enough and talented enough to get into Virginia Tech. He was functional enough to make it as far as senior, no easy task. Still, we are lucky to know what goes on inside our own heads, much less another's. What ghosts haunt us at night? What longings urge our loins? What dark gods command their worship... what sacrifice required? Beyond the borders of our conscious, our waking mind, here there be monsters. This young man deemed himself a victim somehow who had no choice in what he did. But, look, if you can, at his face in that horrible video and those grim photographs... you see a face not just sculpted with hate, but a being, a child of God adrift from his soul. It is not just mental illness. many suffer from some sort of disorder of the mind, but they do not kill 32 people. Many people are angry at the vicissitudes of life but they do not plot murder. Many people feel that they have been treated unfairly but they do not produce blood curdling videos of their angst and send them off to media outlets. What happened to this young man? That is what I want to know. And probably that is the one question, the only real question, that will forever go unanswered.
I am not one to hold grudges or to hatefully condemn someone, especially after the have already condemned themselves. I mourn the senseless deaths, the lives cut short, the violence of it all but I also will mourn this young man, Cho Seung Hei for the personal hell he found himself in and unable to extract himself from. No soul should ever have to go through that. But, also I mourn for his parents; Oh God the agony, the shame and the grief they must be going through. It is bad enough to lose a child, much less to lose a child this way. may God bless and keep them safe. May God bless and keep the victims safe. May God bless and keep us all.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
www.godhatesfags.com...
www.godhatesfags.com...

On the day of the April 16th 2007 campus massacre on the Virginia Tech campus, the Church declared its intent to protest the funerals of the students killed. This was announced on the Church's www.godhatesamerica.com website. On April 19th 2007, GoDaddy, the Internet registrar responsible for that website and its associated domain had suspended its registration, returning a "whois" DNS server entry of "suspended for spam and abuse". Internet searches find no indication of any allegation against Westboro in this respect having been made public, though a number of journalists and bloggers have expressed revulsion at the Church's plans to picket these funerals.

The Westboro Baptist Church plans on protesting at each of the funerals b/c America is "going the way of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Wow... and people say that "islamofascists" are the source of all of our problems. Extreme Christianity, or any religion really, never fails to amaze me.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by el_madmaster]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by el_madmaster
Wow... and people say that "islamofascists" are the source of all of our problems. Extreme Christianity, or any religion really, never fails to amaze me.

Oh come on. Christianity is as much to blame for these idiots being idiots as the guns were for Cho's rampage.

Cho went crazy he had a gun people got shot.

These Westboro nuts went crazy, happened to call themselves Christians, funerals get picketed.

And yes some crazies like blowing themselves up and they happen to be Muslim.

So call Cho a mad shooter, okay.
Call the Westboro's crazy Christian fundies or Christofascists, fine.
And call the exploding Muslim fundies Islamofacists, its true.

Just dont do something stupid like claim religion is why they act the way they do. They act the way they do bacause theyre crazy. If they were all wearing Levi's would it be the jeans that made them crazy? Those trendy commercials with the hipsters can be very persuasive.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by el_madmaster
www.godhatesfags.com...
www.godhatesfags.com...

The Westboro Baptist Church plans on protesting at each of the funerals b/c America is "going the way of Sodom and Gomorrah.

I am simply disgusted, I can't believe that they are doing that. They are seriously missing the point of Christianity. Also seems to be totally thoughtless.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
When exactly did NBC receive the video? Who watched it, and to whom did they send it after receiving it? How long before they received the video did the shootings begin? Was there enough time to contact the local authorities?

If so, then I think NBC has a lot of explaining to do.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Now it comes out that he was picked on during High School AND College...

Link here

I knew it !!.......bullies picked on him to no end and the psychological trauma they caused is what made him "flip" out .......but of course its not the bullies fault.....thats what they do......pick on and harrass someone till they go nuts and then say "why did he do it??"

Remember.......the next person YOU pick on could come back for revenge......and it won't be your fault...it will be the poor guys fault who you picked on and drove crazy.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astras
A product of American society

And this coming from someone who is a none american and probably hasnt ever stepped foot on american soil. How typical.

EVERY society has their corks in it. Not just america. Its truly sad, but banning video games will not resolve anything.

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46 >>

join