It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Officials: At Least 32 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I think it is because there are two or more shooters, the chief said the shooter was dead, but who or which one was he referring to?

Stunned, is an understatement and I can see it is affecting the police as well as the rest of us.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Apparently, there has been numerous bomb threats in the past...

FOXNews is reporting it.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
7 injured and 1 critical,

Seems all up in the air at the sec,

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
In a local TV (phone) interview, a Blacksburg student, says
student scuttlebutt is,
a boyfiend/girlfriend arguement was the start of the incident.

Shooter supposedly shot RA , when he came to room to tell them to quiet down, then shot girlfriend.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
this totally freaks me out....Virginia Tech is just 30 some miles down the road from me. The are saying that there were 2 separate shootings at 2 separate halls... 1 dead and 1 wounded at one and the balance of 20 some people at the other (plus the shooter) dead for a total of 22 dead... no word on how many others are wounded. Tech is a huge influence in this area in sports, education and in business so for our area this is a gigantic.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
22 dead and many more injured.

WTF?

I hate to say it, but this could be a diversion type thing- God!!! I dont even know-

Could it be someone "higher" than just plain kids at school???????????

Anyone? or am i crazy?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
they are now saying that it is 22 including the shooter and that they have no evidence yet that the two separate shootings are connected though I personally would be surprised it they weren't.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
He used a hand gun, and unloaded round after round,

thats being said from a witness from the collage,

[edit on 16-4-2007 by asala]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
apparenlty he lined up the students up and shot them, execution style.

FOXNews are talking about the weapons used, some guest speakers are talking M16..which is military. The guy could be ex-army, if he has high powered weapons.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Rumour is that he lined up the students shooting them while shouting for his Girlfriend,

There saying this went on for possible 2 hours?????

[edit on 16-4-2007 by asala]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
for a relationship matter? man thats insane!

I dont get why people are ok with takin others lives.

lame.

My hearts go out to the families.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Virginia Tech's website has been altered due to the volume of hits they were receiving following this incident. It now shows simply the following:

04/16/2007, Updated 12:40 p.m.

Two shootings on campus today have left 22 confirmed dead, including students.

Families wishing to reunite with students are suggested to meet at the Inn at Virginia Tech. The university is planning a convocation for tomorrow at noon at Cassell Coliseum for the university community to come together to begin to deal with the tragedy.

Counseling is available in the Bowman Room in the Merriman Center (part of the athletic complex) for employees who seek assistance following today’s events.

All faculty and staff have been released and asked to go home effective immediately.

The university will open tomorrow at 8 a.m. but classes are cancelled.

It also states "Gunman Deceased" so I dunno... I'm not near a TV unfortunately. Hopefully someone can confirm what the deal is with the perp.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Laws and legislation mean nothing. When a criminal wants to obtain a weapon they will and do not care what the consequence are.

Remember they are not thinking rationally like you and I.

The reason I can make these comments is that I was a reserve law enforcement officer for over seven years in the Detroit area, I also trained the same number of years in urban combat, especially after Columbine incident. The police in most metro areas are now trained not to wait for SWAT and to respond immediately to the shooters.

I also am still active in an organization called the IRPOA or the International Police Officers Association and I have had the great privilege of meeting officers from the UK many times, as I have traveled there too. I still keep abreast of the problems through them and it appears criminals control the majority of guns these days, in the UK. It is the same in Canada as well.

Again unless you are in law enforcement and have been around criminals that do not think rational you will have no idea what I am speaking of. Criminals laugh, mock, test, and disregard any laws that have been written by logical and rational people, that is why they are called criminals.

Originally posted by infinite

How can he get access to that amount of weapons?

I fail to understand it. Thats all.

[edit on 16-4-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Latest report is at least 20 dead and as many as 30 dead now and maybe 20 injured. Latest as of 1300 EDT. Very tragic story.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'm a bit confused, who shot the girlfriend who was cheating? Is he the one that's dead?

Why would anyone allow themselves to be executed? If you know you're going to die, why not rush the guy psycho-style? At least you have a chance. It's human instinct to want to survive.

Peace

[edit on 16-4-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Starting to lean towards the one shooter scenario, though how could the police be called to a shooting incident with fatality around 0715hrs, and no clamp down or increased security until the second string of killings over 2hrs later???

Why didn't they shut down the university earlier?

Also a FNC phone report was a reporter who was in touch with his niece who is holed up with a friend 1/2 mile from campus in an apt. She said she can hear the police bullhorns telling everyone to stay hunkered down, also they were trying to figure out how to release the public schools in the area without causing a mad rush to the schools by parents.

Very disturbing story.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Heres a gallery of pics

hosted.ap.org...

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Ok the President of the University just issued a statement. Normally i would link to it, but their website keeps going down because of the insane volume they must be encountering. So... sorry for the huge quote (I know we're not supposed to do that) but it's the only way for everyone to see the very latest news straight from the source, the President of the Uni himself.

BLACKSBURG, Va., April 16, 2007

The university was struck today with a tragedy of monumental proportions. There were two shootings on campus. In each case, there were fatalities. The university is shocked and horrified that this would befall our campus. I want to extend my deepest, sincerest and most profound sympathies to the families of these victims which include students There are 22 confirmed deaths.

We currently are in the process of notifying families of victims. The Virginia Tech Police are being assisted by numerous other jurisdictions. Crime scenes are being investigated by the FBI, University Police, and State Police. We continue to work to identify the victims impacted by this tragedy. I cannot begin to covey my own personal sense of loss over this senselessness of such an incomprehensible and heinous act The university will immediately set up counseling centers. So far centers have been identified in Ambler Johnston and the Cook Counseling Center to work with our campus community and families.

Here are some of the facts we know:

At about 7:15 a.m. this morning a 911 call came to the University Police Department concerning an event in West Ambler Johnston Hall. There were multiple shooting victims. While in the process of investigating, about two hours later the university received reports of a shooting in Norris Hall. The police immediately responded. Victims have been transported to various hospitals in the immediate area in the region to receive emergency treatment.

We will proceed to contact the families of victims as identities are available.

All classes are cancelled and the university is closed for the remainder of today. The university will open Tuesday at 8 a.m. but classes are cancelled. The police are currently staging the release of people from campus buildings.

Families wishing to reunite with the students are suggested to meet at the Inn at Virginia Tech. We are making plans for a convocation tomorrow (Tuesday) at noon at Cassell Coliseum for the university community to come together to begin to deal with the tragedy.

-----------------

Counseling is available in the Bowman Room in the Merriman Center (part of the athletic complex) for employees who seek assistance following today's events.

Faculty and staff on the Burruss side of the Drillfield are being released and asked to go home effective immediately. Faculty and staff on the War Memorial side are asked to leave at 12:30 p.m.

-----------------

Virginia Tech has closed today Monday, April 16, 2007. On Tuesday, April 17, classes will be canceled. The university will remain open for administrative operations.

There will be an additional university statement presented today at noon.

All students, faculty, and staff are required to stay where they are until police execute a planned evacuation. A phased closing will be in effect today; further information will be forthcoming as soon as police secure the campus.

Tomorrow, there will be a university convocation/ceremony at noon at Cassell Coliseum. The Inn at Virginia Tech has been designated as the site for parents to gather and obtain information.

-----------------

In addition to an earlier shooting today in West Ambler Johnston, there has been a multiple shooting with multiple victims in Norris Hall.

Police and EMS are on the scene.

Police have one shooter in custody and as part of routine police procedure, they continue to search for a second shooter.

All people in university buildings are required to stay inside until further notice.

All entrances to campus are closed.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
American person with 2 9mm guns killed himself after killing others.

Not sure of anymore, I think it's best to wait and see what the official report for everything is.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Dr. Love,

Actually you make a great point. The perpetrators are not expecting anyone to rush them and feed off of fear, as seen the many Columbine clips. Law enforcement would never suggest anyone rush the perp, but if that scumbag is cutting down multiple people that may be the only chance, unless people decide to wait for police.

These are not rational situations, so remember anything can happen, but sometimes irrational bravery saves many people.

Originally posted by Dr Love
I'm a bit confused, who shot the girlfriend who was cheating? Is he the one that's dead?

Why would anyone allow themselves to be executed? If you know you're going to die, why not rush the guy psycho-style? At least you have a chance. It's human instinct to want to survive.

[edit on 16-4-2007 by Dr Love]

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join