It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The limits of pictures that can be used as Avatars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
i was intending to make an avatar which would use a picture from the Normandy Landings in 1944, but the picture I was thinking of would be along these lines:

______________Warning some people may not like this___________________________

But I know that graphic images are not exactly to be used, so advice would be helpful.

BTW, I was thinking of adding text along the lines of, "Have we lost the freedoms they died for?".

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If you want to use a shock value avatar you should use pictures of dead people from the twin tower terrorist attacks and use the label:

"Extreme islam did this to us!"

Just my thought.

M.Agenda!

[edit on 16-4-2007 by Midwest Agenda]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I would have to say no to this image as an avatar.

Please see the Avatar guidelines found here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

ATS and BTS is a diverse community with a mission to help people understand important issues from current events and history. Due to an evolution from women in bathing suits to women wearing less while in suggestive poses that often detracts from the mission, the following content guidelines apply to the content of both avatars and signatures:
1) No photos of persons wearing less than shirt-and-shorts.
2) No artwork (non-photo) of persons wearing less than bathing attire.
3) No persons, or lnks to persons in a sexually suggestive pose.
5) No persons engaged in what would be considered an obscene gesture.
6) No persons pointing weapons at the viewer of the image.
7) No images or links to images containing blood or gore.
8) No images or links to content containing people involved in an illegal act.
9) No images or links to images containing illegal objects.
10) No images that are taunting in nature toward any person or group of persons.
11) Other content, which at the discretion of forum staff, is designed to be vulgar, obscene, or offensive to the majority of ATS and BTS visitors and members.

[edit on 4-16-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Midwest Agenda
If you want to use a shock value avatar you should use pictures of dead people from the twin tower terrorist attacks and use the label:

Er, shock value isn't really the idea of it, just wondering if it was acceptable or not, any graphic "shock value" images are generally given plenty warning in threads, whereas with an avatar, they will be visible without a warning.

Worldwatcher, so if it was from further away so as to not have blood or gore visible, would that be acceptable?

[edit on 16-4-2007 by apex]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

Surely that is only in the context of gratification though? There is nothing gratifying about that picture.

It's a fine line but there is a difference.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

Surely that is only in the context of gratification though? There is nothing gratifying about that picture.

It's a fine line but there is a difference.

hadn't thought of that.

Anyway, approaching the idea from the other direction,

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
IMO, I think the second image would be best suited to prove your point. Whereas there are people here who are not old enough to be involved with normandy, and those who are not versed that well on our history, the national cemetary puts a very clear definition on your point. Reguardless of which war, it can apply to all wars, not just one specific event. So this can draw attention and bring true meaning and effect to all those who see it, not just an older generation.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
it's a very line to draw indeed,

but as with the second image, I think it's clear you can obviously get your point across with a just as effective image that doesn't contain a soldier lying in his own blood, shortly after his death.

A green field filled with crosses and headstones can convey as much if not more about death, the military, and war than just one person's gruesome death.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

it's a very line to draw indeed,

but as with the second image, I think it's clear you can obviously get your point across with a just as effective image that doesn't contain a soldier lying in his own blood, shortly after his death.

A green field filled with crosses and headstones can convey as much if not more about death, the military, and war than just one person's gruesome death.

Yes, I thought it would be better to use the second image really. The first i found a bit quickly on a search, and didn't really think about too much before posting. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I absolutely agree. However, the original image is equally as powerful and just as important for different reasons. It shows the reality of war that a romanticised picture of a headstones never could.

Regardless of how graphic it s, a picture that important should never be deemed "unsuitable" because of its content. Unless someone wrote "pwned" above it or other such BS, then it is in bad taste. You know what I mean?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

Regardless of how graphic it s, a picture that important should never be deemed "unsuitable" because of its content.

But where would you then draw the line John? We shouldn't forget about the Holocaust either but should we allow pics of mass graves? As was previously stated there are young and sensitive people here.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
i was intending to make an avatar which would use a picture from the Normandy Landings in 1944, but the picture I was thinking of would be along these lines:

>>Photo removed

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
We shouldn't forget about the Holocaust either but should we allow pics of mass graves?

Absolutely!

As was previously stated there are young and sensitive people here.

If they're that sensitive then I imagine the majority of the content on this site has frazzled their poor young minds! Alien abduction; Cattle mutilation; end of the world scenarios; political leaders murdering, stealing and lying e.t.c.

Even just reading about this stuff would keep a child up at night!

Don't think of me as insensitive or ignorant though, of course children shouldn't view an image like that. I could think one way and say that we should prepare them for the harsh realities of the world, but I prefer to see the more humane side and say we should keep the playful innocence of childhood in them as long as possible.

If that's the intention though then even in written form most of the subjects on this site are not going to achieve that. Personally I'd have and age limit of 13+ for this place although I can certainly understand as to why that would cause problems.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. It's just the way I feel about it at this moment in time.

typo

[edit on 16-4-2007 by John Nada]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I hear what you're saying John but it's a matter of escalation. We've seen that repeatedly with avvy's with girls in them. The guidelines state "Nothing less than a shirt and shorts." Then others come up with skimpier and skimpier clothing and now we're WAY past what the guidelines lay out.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
koka, thanks for the WATS, never had one of those before I think.

Well, here is the first version of it, i might get a different one of a similar theme, possibly a more current one, and put them on a random set.

Edit, here are both of them, and I have them set as random:

If either is deemed unsuitable I will remove them of course. Also, if anyone wants to use one, send me a U2U, or a similar image I am sure. Not that its hard to make, but anyway.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Midwest Agenda

Just my thought.

M.Agenda!

How tasteless are you?

OP, the pictures you just posted work fine imo.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
apex, I would not have objected to your choice of pictures......the black and white shot removes the blood and gore factor, IMO. I do imagine a lot of members, younger ones especially, would probably not recognize the subject.

The one you've chosen gets the point across very well......( could be considered a mass grave, if someone wanted to look at it that way. )

What was that about an avatar giving insight into a member??

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
I do imagine a lot of members, younger ones especially, would probably not recognize the subject.

Do you think so? As much as I can remember, I've known about D day since I was at most 10, and I'm 18 now. But i suppose some people may not recognise such an image so easily if they are not in an area that has it in their history so much

The one you've chosen gets the point across very well......

Thank you, I thought it would, but then i thought pretty much any image of that theme would.

Does it?

Whatever insight it gives about me would be helpful to me if I knew, I was just sitting around and thought it would make a good avatar for this site.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex

Does it?

Whatever insight it gives about me would be helpful to me if I knew, I was just sitting around and thought it would make a good avatar for this site.

Sorry, I was referring to my avatar being an insight about me....

I would certainly recognize the D-Day photo, but my kids have heard many more stories about Italy ( my Dad) and the Pacific landings ( my Father-in-law).....they'd not be as likely to think of D-Day right away.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by frayed1]

top topics

join