It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left handers = smarter people

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Is it logical that a lefty can be smarter because they use more left sided functions. Since most dont use much of the right side of the brain anyway, and a lefty I would think would use the much less, means like a pc, the brain should be able to split is process power better for more right sided thinking, thus smarter leftys.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
nah i just think we (lefties) use the other side of our brain which means wea re more creative. not at all smarter.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I'm a lefty and I suck at math. Im much better in literature and writing than I am at math.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Don't take this the wrong way, but I heard back in history, people used to wipe their ass with the left hand, and for a long time it was considered the dirty hand. This of course was a long time ago...

Again, no offense intended...

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I also heard about us lefties being more creative.
I work at a local garden center/nursery/florist. Many of us are lefties, much higher than the national average.

FWIW.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The left hand is controlled by the right side of the brain and vice versa.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I'm a lefty, also a visual thinker.

[edit on 16-4-2007 by damefool]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
What about people who are paralyzed and cannot use either hand, would this make them statistically stupider than able handed people?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NLDelta9
Is it logical that a lefty can be smarter because they use more left sided functions. Since most dont use much of the right side of the brain anyway, and a lefty I would think would use the much less, means like a pc, the brain should be able to split is process power better for more right sided thinking, thus smarter leftys.

Intelligence is subjective. Who's to say that a creative person is smarter than a purely logical one? Also as another poster pointed out it's reversed:Right handed people are normally 'dominated' by the left hand side and vice versa, therefore leaving right-handed people 'smarter'.

And where does your theory leave ambidextrous people?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Well, I'm left handed, but I'm pretty average with math, I managed through all my calculus courses. It was of course...required. I prefer physics. Just because you're lefty doesn't mean you suck at math, or vice versa. Nor does it mean that right handers are incapable of creative thought.
All in all... the truth of the matter is that left handers think with the right side of the brain....

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Next month I plan to start the day that I increase my abilities. I'm going to learn everything about probability off of the internet. I'm going to begin practicing writing with both hands until I have mastered them. I figure enhancing two things that I want to be able to do is a good start.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   
There must be some sort of evolutionary reason why there are so many right handers then lefties (am I right in thing only 1 in 5 are left handed)

For the life of me I can't think of it. Possibly right-handed hammers?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I believe that a lot of it can be explained simply by conditioning from a pre-existing condition...

Take for example, I grew up right next to my older brother, literally. So, if we were out beating innocent animals with sticks or shooting neighbors with bb guns right next to each other, it is convenient to be like-handed such that sticks and guns aren't right next to each other and getting in the way. It is a learned behavior that, I believe, may contribute more to someone's right or left mindedness than vice versa. The hemispheres of the mind develop through exercise and general usefulness with respect to one's situation. The brain is a curious beast.

Righty, by the way...

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Left handed people are supposed to be more artistic than R/H people.

I'm left handed, play guitar, write poetry when the mood takes and have a very keen fashion sense (albeit for other peeps) and not my own clothes lol.

Excelled at Math when still a pupil many moons ago, also was acomplished as a athelete / football / rugby etc.

One odd thing though, if I play golf or cricket for example, I take a right handed players stance, my brain just cannot get to grip with a left handers stance, weird that one.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
I'm a lefty and I suck at math. Im much better in literature and writing than I am at math.

Bah !

I was born a lefty, and my mum forced me to use my right hand...

Hence, I suck at math, mediocre at music, boring when it comes to on the spot creativity, and generally feel like Im stuck between one and the other.

Lol..

And thats no joke...

I feel almost like, you know when you have a new set of plasticine and its all vibrant colours and you just mush them all together, you end up with bland grey.

Im neither here nor there.. ;/

Any new parents dont force your kids to be one or the other... imo..

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I am a lefty, but I have sufficiently obliterated enough brain matter so my mental capabilities are now equal to that of a righty.

I like equality!!!

[edit on 2007/4/16 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
What about ambidextrous people? I use my right hand for writing but i eat, hold any kind of bat or golfclub in my left. I also tend to carry things in my left hand. If i try to write or throw with it though it is impossible. I am easily distracted... anyway back to work

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I am a leftie who survived the attempt to force me into being right handed. I write both poetry and essays as well as short fiction. I am a former chef, a photographer of some skill, I can paint and draw, just spent the past 3 years studying graphic arts, and a decent gardener, very well read. Suck a math but understand science... can't sing or play any musical instrament. Over the years my hobbies have ranged from astronomy to homebrewing beer to wild mushroom hunting and they change on a regular basis and as a result keep things interesting.

All that being said, I think it is more due to a relentless curiousity than anything else. My parents taught me to think for myself, and ended up regretting it.

The biggest argument against lefties being more creative and especially intelligent is George W. Bush.

[edit on 16-4-2007 by grover]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
Left handed people are supposed to be more artistic than R/H people.

I'm left handed, play guitar, write poetry when the mood takes and have a very keen fashion sense (albeit for other peeps) and not my own clothes lol.

Excelled at Math when still a pupil many moons ago, also was acomplished as a athelete / football / rugby etc.

One odd thing though, if I play golf or cricket for example, I take a right handed players stance, my brain just cannot get to grip with a left handers stance, weird that one.

Hm, thats quite interesting! Actually, this whole thread is a eye opener. But lets get to the subject at hand, I quote your post because it best suits me, not because I want to one up, but since you gave us a little information...

I'm right handed, I play guitar, I write poetry when I find myself in either a humorous manner or as you said, the mood suits. I do indeed have a keen fashion sense, but I have my thing, I enjoy a good blazer but enjoy denim pants, but I make it look good.

I cannot say I excel at anything at the moment, considering I'm still under study. I can however, explain that at math, I'm at least a year behind, at history however, this is where I truly learn my best. I find the events of history should be learned and taken example from, as a fine teacher once put it. "We need to learn from the past to better the future." And the idea that the simple functioning of hand eye coordination dictates how smart, creative, or logical one can be. Thats simply ignorance. Granted, scientists may say I'm wrong and I don't say they are not right either. Be it true the left is more creative and the right so on and so forth, thats all fine and dandy. But that simply isn't the rule to follow on. Lets take a look at musicians. Jimi Hendrix as I'm sure some of you know quite well is left handed, and one of the bests things to hit the music scene since electricity. This is a great example fighting the cause that left is more creative. But lets take a look at lets say...Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai, or if you really want to be open minded, Hip-Hop artists of the like that are right handed. I personally like MF Doom and whether he's left or right is beside the point. But the true point is, creativity knows no bounds. And for all the people who I know are going to skip this 'long' banter, I'll keep it short and sweet...

Creativity knows no bounds. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Not really on topic, but I always bug my friend (who is right handed), that left handed people are SUPERIOR to right handed people (Not that I actually think that...). heh......

Anyway, I just think we're better at diferant things, no handedness is better.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join