It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trident: MOD Plans To Move South - But Where?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
According to an exclusive in today’s Scotland on Sunday, a senior MoD source has confirmed that the Ministry of Defence is actively engaged in a search for suitable locations for the relocation of UK’s Trident missile submarines away from their present Scottish bases. This has been prompted by the very real possibility that Scotland will seek full independence in the near future.

"It is logical that we should look at other sites for basing and servicing the submarines, and for storing the missiles," a senior MoD source said last night. "We have to look at everything that might have an impact on this project, and the possibility of a change in the devolution settlement - however remote that may seem - is one of those factors."

The result was the resurrection of nine alternative venues originally considered alongside Faslane when the Macmillan government was seeking a base for the Polaris deterrent over 40 years ago. Given that five of these were also in Scotland, the MoD was left with only four venues that could remotely be described as fall-back options - Milford Haven, in Wales, and Portland, Falmouth and Devonport on the south coast of England.

Scotland on Sunday understands that Devonport, where the four Vanguard-class submarines are refitted and refuelled, was considered the next-best option - albeit a distant second to Faslane, as it does not have a facility to compare with the Royal Naval Armaments Depot at nearby Coulport.

Revealed: the MOD plan to move Trident

Fears of independent Scotland prompt defence chiefs to seek a base south of the Border

On a personal note, I live very close to one of the sites that were examined for possible use as a Polaris base back in the 1960s and dread the possibility, however remote, of this area becoming a new 'Faslane'.

zero lift

mod edit: added external quote tags

Quote Reference (review link)

[edit on 18-4-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I suppose it's sensible to start looking for an alternate home for the Trident submarines should Scotland take the route of independence.

If you look into the proposal, though, I'm sure you'll find some positive points - especially economic. A new base will obviously create lots of new jobs as well as be a major boost to the local economy (the thousands of people who work there have to sleep, eat and enjoy themselves somewhere local - hard for them to dash to London every time they went shopping or wanted to go to the cinema).

But yes, this is yet another argument against independence - who will employ the thousands of workers who are employed at Faslane?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
It was only a matter of time before the incessant negativity of the SNP began to affect the union. They are a shower of wasters. I'd love to see credible plans for replacing the thousands of jobs lost when trident goes, along with all the British naval and air bases set up in Scotland.

The SNP are a disgrace to Scotland. I'd even consider strategically voting Labour just to keep the small-minded idiots out of power.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Maybe another scare mongering tactic, to get voters to vote labour, ( I for one is not falling for it), if they wish to move trident down sout do be it... Least that SUB Base wont be no-1 target if ever the UK went to full scare war with another country.. Oks the amount of jobs that will be lost is alot... but dont yall think they are just saying this to scare voters into voting for labour again?

We have had the coalition Gov in for how long, I think it is about time we hadchange in the S/P..... Wont vote for SNP either, or the tories, might as well either go for the greens or an independant msp....

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   
They could always store them at my house. All I ask in return is that I can use one on The Emirates Stadium at an Arsenal vs Chelsea match.

Taking football hooliganism to a whole new plateau...

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
First it was rosyth base now its faslane, the RN will now have no offcial bases in scotland apart from the rosyth naval yard (Yeah as big place as THAT is). And people still ask me why the sea cadets are the RN's only recruiting force in scotland.

new topics

top topics

join