It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Disruption In Gulf Stream?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I on a regular basis monitor Atlantic sea surface temps. There seems to be another disruption in the current which is visible in this image.

www.climatepatrol.com...

It seems strange that this shows up during a period when we are experiencing very unusual weather. Not only has it been cold this month but now we have a major storm brewing that will basically stall around New York City and just drift around for a few days. This enormous storm seems to form without any major players involved. There is no extreme warmth ahead of it. There is no injection of arctic air behind it. What is the driving force behind this? What impact could the salinity of the Atlantic Ocean had on this?

Please share your thoughts. Also if you are having trouble spotting the disruption in the current just find the area between 30N and 45N as well as 60W and 75W.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Man i ust had a look a the last 20 days of that area. not much difference except for a bit of the water spiking out and just raising temperatures from the 15 degree mark to the 20 degree mark. the water temp was probably just below the 20 degree mark to begin with anyways.

there's no real big change except for the last 1-2 days and thats not a BIG change at all. The water is getting warmer in that area anyways. It should be starting to warm up in that part of the world anyways due to spring over there yeah? It might be cold where you are.... but water absorbs 90% of sunlight.

In day after tomorrow the water temperatures get much colder. not warmer. you got nothing to worry about except better swimming conditions without a wetsuit.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I am latitude-challenged.

Granted it is unusual weather.
And, I only checked my area, but we had some very cold weather in early April in 1982 (record low of 15F)
I also remembered this from mid-March in 2003. Wasn't it also a perfect sotrm, although earlier in the year
www.smokymountainnews.com...

What effects do you think a stall would create for weather this spring and summer?

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
That curve in the current isn't normal. A little while back I had posted a thread in Fragile Earth that gave you a 200 day (maybe longer) animation and you won't see anything like that in the 200 days. What I'm looking at isn't so much a temperature drop but rather where the water is going and not going.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I'm no expert, but that little loopback does look strange to me.

I'm in the center of that nor'easter in NYC. It's been raining cats and dogs all day and it's not going to clear up until mid - late week.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Did you get any good pics or video? You better say yes lol. Here in about 2 weeks I'll have a full 365 database of SST images. Then I'll be able to compare on a daily basis year to year images. I wish I would have started this years ago.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Excellent information Indy!

I think you are right, we are having an unusual weather these days and that could be one of the reasons.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I happened to look at the ClimatePatrol sat images about a week ago, then again today. There is still very little movement. It sure looks like the GS has been stalled for a significant period of time.

Latest: April 21, 2007

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Heres some nice annimations showing the GS from 2000 and forward.

Link has more animations with differing steps, 2-day or 7-day.

rads.tudelft.nl...

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I cannot believe there hasn't been one word in the media about the GS being stopped near dead for almost a month.

Has anyone else seen anything in the media? Did I miss something? I just searched a couple of news engines and nothing came up.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Nice animation greatlakes. Its a shame they don't have the animation using their old recording system which gave a better indication of the real current strength.

RRex I haven't heard a word. Also do you notice how many times the current gets disrupted in the area of 65W?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Indy thanks for the update on the Gulf Stream.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Thank you Indy for your time and information.
Please, keep up the good work and whenever possible, keep us updated.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
May 7th - Major Southern Flow Happening

I monitor DEOS every Monday for the latest posting of the Gulf Stream, and I've been noticing the development of another major diversion. Take a look at the split and the southern bleed-off occurring ... from the previous images its been building for a couple weeks.

rads.tudelft.nl...

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
~ RRex I haven't heard a word. Also do you notice how many times the current gets disrupted in the area of 65W?

Indy, sorry I didn't reply earlier. My schedule is erratic. Yes, I have noticed that ~ 60-65W. I'm not familiar with the currents off NS, so I couldn't speculate.

I know the Bay of Fundy sees some radical tidal shifts. Local geography probably has something to do with it.

[edit on 5/10/2007 by RRex13]

new topics

top topics

join