It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw the virgin mary

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Why wouldn't the Devil use images of Mary to decieve the masses? It's genius. That is how the Devil works.

Mary was a special person. She did her job and should be respected, but never prayed to, for that is in direct conflict with her son she gave birth to.

If God had special message for people on Earth, he would send an angel to deliver the message. Not dead people. It's in the Bible folks!

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Why wouldn't the Devil use images of Mary to decieve the masses? It's genius. That is how the Devil works.

Mary was a special person. She did her job and should be respected, but never prayed to, for that is in direct conflict with her son she gave birth to.

If God had special message for people on Earth, he would send an angel to deliver the message. Not dead people. It's in the Bible folks!

This is ridiculous, what the hell would make you think that?

Would a demon lead people to Jesus Christ?

Would a demon preach the love of God?

Would a demon want to abolish war?

Like they say, a tree is known by its fruit.

Anyone who thinks the Blessed Mother is not special is kidding themselves, could you imagine being told that you are gonna give birth to the Messiah? Think about that for a second. She gave birth to God incarnate, if that is not an honor, then I don't know what the heck is.

Again, Catholics DO NOT pray to Mary, we are not worshiping her, only God should be worshiped.

What we are doing is asking her to pray for us.

Let me ask you a question, do you think people stop praying when they get to heaven?

If you go to heaven after you die, are you gonna stop praying for the people of earth?

If you go to heaven after you die, are you gonna stop praying for your family and friends that you have left behind? Are you not going to pray for your wife, daughter, son, grandson etc.?

I would certainly like to think that you would want to pray for your loved ones.

[edit on 15-4-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
True, if the Mary I saw was a demond, then he wouldn't be a very good one because he was giving me more reason to believe in God.

The demond idea is absolutely ludicrous.

[edit on 15-4-2007 by wildcat]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildcat
The demon idea is absolutely ludicrous.

no more ridiculous than the idea that you actually saw the virgin mary or that the mary you speak of was immaculately conceived, was impregnated by the holy spirit as a virgin, never had sex during her marriage, and was assumed into heaven.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
How would any one know what clothes the Virgin Mary wore unless we had a photograph or an actual painting of her from a sitting she did for an artist, neither of these things exist.

Heavenly visitors do not wear clothing like you or I wear. They are seen in garments of splendor - shining and beautiful. At least that's the discription of those who claim to have seen angels, the saints, Mary, and/or Christ.

If she was seen, she wouldn't be wearing what she wore in life. That actually goes with what the bible says, about how people who go to heaven will be called by a new name and have their robes washed clean in the Blood of the Lamb etc etc ...

Originally posted by tomquinn
What color was she? White, Black...

In the apparitions of Mary she has appeared many different ways. Whatever culture she appears in, she seems to appear looking like she belongs to that culture. There are numerous theological thoughts behind why she does that ...

She was only a "virgin" for a while she had other children to Joseph.

Not true. There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that Mary and Joseph had children. There is no place in the bible that says - so-and-so, the son of Joseph and Mary. This concept of 'other children' has been disucssed at length here and debunked.

Originally posted by djohnsto77
it's clear she had children the normal way after Jesus,

Nope. Nowhere in the bible does it say she had other children.

Originally posted by clearwater
The immaculate conception is actually a reference to Mary's mom, who was conceived without sin.

Nope. The Immaculate Conception is Mary. SHE is the one who was concieved without sin. It isn't St. Anne her mother. It's Mary. The Immaculate Conception feast day is December 8th. It's a marian holy day.

Originally posted by thehumbleone
You should feel lucky to have had a vision of the Blessed Mother.

I agree. If it's authentic, then it's a wonderful thing.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
So all the praying to the Saints and Mary is pretty much a waste of time.

www.catholic.com...

Christians ask each other to pray for them all the time. Scripture tells us to pray for each other and to ask others to pray for us. Asking the saints in heaven to pray for us to God is no different. It's not a waste of time at all.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that Mary and Joseph had children. There is no place in the bible that says - so-and-so, the son of Joseph and Mary. This concept of 'other children' has been disucssed at length here and debunked.

On what thread? In my Bible (the NIV) at some points (I'm not at home so I have no time to go looking for the quotes) it mentions 'Jesus mother and brothers are outside' and when he preaches in Nazareth the people say 'isn't this the son of the carpenter? Aren't his sisters here with us (paraphrased)'.

Also James was mentioned as 'the brother of Jesus'.

[edit on 16/4/07 by jimboman]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
On what thread?

On many of the anti-Catholic threads. I'm not going to go through them all to find them. It's all been discussed a bunch over the past four years that I've been here.

Anyways - NO WHERE in the bible does it say someone is the son or daughter of Mary and Joseph. No where.

They used the term BRETHREN -
Brethren

Early Church Fathers on the fact that there are no siblings for Christ -
early church quotes

If Christ had siblings He would not have given John and Mary to each other at the foot of the cross. That would have insulted any siblings that he had and it would have been unnecessary.

[edit on 4/16/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Your virginity breeds mites, much like a cheese.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I will always be a virgin until marriage like scripture teaches.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildcat
A couple of days ago, I was typing in things on my computer and I caught this figure in the corner of my left eye. It was a kneeling girl with her hands together and had clothes on that looked like the ones the Virgin Mary wears in pictures I've seen her in. Then I turn around and she disappears. There is nothing in that direction that I could mistaken for Mary, so it must be her. She must of been praying.

What a blessing you received. I would be praying (not to Mary) to find the meaning.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Early Church Fathers on the fact that there are no siblings for Christ -
early church quotes

[edit on 4/16/2007 by FlyersFan]

And of course this is a Catholic website.

Have you tried getting a concordance?

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   

On what thread?

On many of the anti-Catholic threads. I'm not going to go through them all to find them. It's all been discussed a bunch over the past four years that I've been here.

Give me an example of a thread.

Anyway, in the meantime try this link:

www.apologeticspress.org...

It examines the Greek meaning of the word, not the English one. After all the New Testament was written in Greek, not King James English. Which a lot of people tend to forget...

BTW, I believe Mary was a virgin when became pregnant with Jesus, but not that she remained a virgin until her death.

[edit on 17/4/07 by jimboman]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Give me an example of a thread.

I already told you. I'm NOT going back through 3-4 years of threads to find them all.

I believe Mary was a virgin when became pregnant with Jesus, but not that she remained a virgin until her death.

You are free to believe whatever you like. However, the bible absolutely does NOT say that she had other children.

BTW - just FYI - John Calvin, Martin Luther, Zwingli, and Bullinger believed in Mary's perpetual virginity.

As far as your link goes ... here's MORE information that they fail to deal with - (from the PROTESTANT lingistic reference 'An Expository Dictionary of New testament Words')

Adelphos: Denotes a brother, or near kinsman; in the plural, a comunity based on identity of origin or life. It is used of:

1 - Male children of the same parents ..
2 - male descendants of the same parents, Acts 7:23,26; Hebrews 7:5 ..
4 - people of the same nationality, Acts 3:17, 22 Romans 9:3 ...
5 - any man, a neighbor, Luke 10:29; Matthew 5:22, 7:3 ..
7 - persons united by a common calling, Rev 22:9
8 - mankind, Matthew 25:40; Hebrews 2:17
9 - the disciples, and so, by implication, all believers, Matthew 28:10; John 20:17
10 - believers, apart from sex, Matthew 23:8; Acts 1:15; Romans 1:13; 1 Thessalonians 1:4; Revelation 19:10 (the word 'sisters' is used of believers only in 1 Timothy 5:2)

ALSO - In the King James -
- Jacob is called the 'brother' of his Uncle Laban (Gen 29:15; 29-10)
- Lot and Abraham call each other 'brother' (Gen 14:14; 11:26-27)
(the RSV uses 'kinsman' at 29:15 and 14:14)

Use of 'brother' or 'brethren' for mere kinsmen; Deuteronomy 23:7; 2 Samuel 1:26; 1 Kings 9:13, 20:32; 2 Kings 10:13-14; Jeremiah 34:9; Amos 1:9

Neither Hebrew nor Aramaic has a word for cousin. The NT was written in Greek, as your link said, and it does have such a word. The literal rendering of the Hebrew word 'ACH', which is used by the first desciples and Jesus is 'adelphos', which is the literal equivalent of the english 'brother'. But what does 'brother' mean in English? Many different things - same with the bible.

ALSO -

- Luke 2:41-51 - Jesus lost in the temple. No mention of siblings.
- Matthew 23:8 (and 23:1)- Jesus calls the crowds and his disciples 'brethren'.
- Matthew 12:49-50 Jesus calls disiples who do the Will of the Father - 'my brothers'.

Of course - we still have what Christ did from the cross.

John 19:26-27: "He said to His mother, "Woman, behold your son!' Then he said to the disciple (John), 'Behold your mother'. This would not have happened if there were siblings. It couldn't happen. Jesus gave Mary and John to each other - to take care of each other. If there had been siblings this wouldn't have been necessary. If there had been siblings, Christ would also have just slapped them all in the face by doing this.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Let's just agree to disagree then. I'm not going to change my view and neither are you.

As long as we agree that Jesus was God incarnate who died to take away the sins of the world then that's all that matters.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Thank you jimboman for your effort to end fights. My threads always are locked because of fights that I did not start.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I think that you should really go to a psychiatrist and tell him all the 'wonderful' things that happen to you.

Do you think they would put it down to a visit from divinity?? Maybe a vist from lucidity!!

G

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Look if it happen it happen and God blessed you. But God told us to watch out for fakers. One way or other still work for God see you in heaven. just please dont start praying to mary because of this, like the cathics. ITs not right.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Based on your grammar, spelling, and punctuation, I say you must be a kid. A kid in some religion school perhaps. We have different beliefs so I ask you to not tell me what I should or should not do, it's not right.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by wildcat]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Lol. Judging, your not suppost to Judge. I am 24. And I dont go to church. i read the Bible the word of God. And we're suppost to be at peace. Being mad does help God's world. Two of the greatest commandments from Jesus are- to love God with all the haert and all the soul. To know he is the only God. Second- Love the neighors was you would love the self. My point in last post stay watchful.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join