It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CPU Core cooling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Just wondering if I open my window during the winter and let it cool my core if that would have any benifit for my computer. I have done this before and gotten my core temp down to +7C. Before when the window is closed I get an average core temp of +30C.

May seem like a weird question, but cooling is good for systems.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Cooling your CPU down at +7C is certainly more benifical than +30C, but then wouldn't you have to wear a skidoo suit when working on your computer?

Not much point in opening your window in the winter only when the CPU is idle, and later letting it overheat when it's busy. You need constant cooling.

But I'm surprised you actually get +30C on average, you have nothing to worry about at this temp. Generally CPUs can handle hotter than that just for normal usage like office work and gaming.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Do what I did with my last PC. Get yourself some dryer ducting. 2 tubes. One going to your intake, one on a hole on the other end as en exhaust. Both tubes lead outside.

In the winter my PC ran at about 1C. If I left it off too long, it froze solid, so you may want to think about being able to close off the ducts.
Either way, with the ducts in place, the cold air doesnt get into your house as easily.

Or you could do what my friend did. He took a wine freezer, modified it, and built his PC inside of that.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
A wine freezer? How did he deal with ice buildup?

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I would not advise what you have done. If your PC froze solid, and then ice formed then melted into water when it got hot again... didn't it short it out? If it froze and the ice melted this would be the same thing as pouring water on your computer. Not that advisable.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The wine cooler actually didnt build up ice... I know he extensively modified the thing... who knows, maybe he also built some form of de-humidifier into it.

As for me and my ducting, yes, I have had a few shorts because of it, lol. But you know what? My entire computer is built from parts of other dead computers, each part in there typically gets replaced within a month anyways, so I don't really care what happens to most of it.

It's typically allways running now, so freezing isnt a problem, except in the middle of winter.

It's summer now, or soon... so I wont have any issues.

You have to understand that I am in the habit of purposely destroying electronics... I essentially like to see exactly what they are capable of, then, when the cards become useless, I salvage them for parts, knowing what each chip is capable of in terms of heat, cold, and EM power fluctuations... yeah, that one is another story...

I especially love the popping sound of capacitors!

Call me crazy, or just someone who has an insane access to parts...
The hard disk drive is the ONLY thing in it that I dont want to get damaged... considering I keep that in a seperate enclosure, I have no problems.

[edit on 23-4-2007 by johnsky]

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Do what I did with my last PC. Get yourself some dryer ducting. 2 tubes. One going to your intake, one on a hole on the other end as en exhaust. Both tubes lead outside.

In the winter my PC ran at about 1C. If I left it off too long, it froze solid, so you may want to think about being able to close off the ducts.
Either way, with the ducts in place, the cold air doesnt get into your house as easily.

Or you could do what my friend did. He took a wine freezer, modified it, and built his PC inside of that.

I've always thought about using a freezer as a cooling unit for a computer but It's not really ideal. A freezer or refrigerator is not made to cope with objects that generate heat. The freezer will break sooner or later.

join