It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want To Bet on Global Warming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Got the Gambling Bug?

Like long odds?

This is for you..

NORFOLK, Va. - Think global warming will raise the oceans enough to submerge Cape Hatteras? Want to bet on it?

An online gambling service has started taking bets on global warming, including whether it can submerge some of the East Coast's top vacation spots.

The odds that Virginia's Cape Henry will be under water by 2015 — 200-to-1 at BetUs.com. Its odds for Cape Hatteras flooding by the same date — 300-to-1.

Don't bet on it, says Phil Roehrs, a coastal engineer for the city of Virginia Beach. Roehrs said although sea levels are rising along the East Coast, scientists are not predicting anywhere near the levels and dates provided by the gambling service.

"No wonder the odds are so good," Roehrs said.

That hasn't stopped bettors from taking a chance. About 3,000 placed bets during the first three days on online booking, said Reed Richards, a spokesman for BetUs.com.

Most gamblers on the site have put down money that Manhattan will be submerged before New Year's Eve 2011.

"Don't ask me why," Richards said.
Yahoo News

My Money is staying in the bank thank you...

Semper

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
2-1 That we have the technology to fix the planet without going "Green" but refuse to use it because the tree huggers don't like it.

4-1 A volcano goes off and we go into another mini-Ice Age.

8-1 Al Gore drowns in Anartica is frozen, and later revived in the year 2512. History books remember him as the worlds biggerst chump

10-1 I'm not buying beach front property in Florida.

15-1 I might have beach front property in San Antonio, Texas.

25-1 That the world as we know it ends.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
3,000 people placed bets during the opening 3 days? That's ridiculous. Myself, I think I'll stick to betting on horses

join