It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kasparov Arrested In Moscow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Kasparov Arrested In Moscow

news.sky.com

Former world chess champion Garry Kasparov has been arrested by police in Msocow.

The vehement opponent of President Putin was seen smiling and waving to journalists from inside a police van.

Kasparov - who heads the United Civil Front opposition organisation - was detained as he made his way to Pushkin Square.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Yet another opponent of Vlad Putin arrested, along with scores of supporters of the anti-Kremlin movement. These are certainly troubled times for Russian politics and freedom of speech.

The question is, how far will Putin be able to push his agenda before there is a major backlash?

I see also that the Russians now have something similar, albeit much harsher, to what the UK has: no protesting outside parliment! Unless you are 'given permission' that is...

news.sky.com

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terran Blue

Yet another opponent of Vlad Putin arrested, along with scores of supporters of the anti-Kremlin movement. These are certainly troubled times for Russian politics and freedom of speech.

The question is, how far will Putin be able to push his agenda before there is a major backlash?

I see also that the Russians now have something similar, albeit much harsher, to what the UK has: no protesting outside parliment! Unless you are 'given permission' that is...

news.sky.com

I don't really care to be honest. Look at it this way - yes he wasn't a supporter of putin, yes this is something he has in common with other individuals who have been arrested or even killed (litvinenko), BUT what if there is something else behind that that we won't know about until later if at all? All I have to say is in Russia atm, and throughout it's history people in high positions or with large sums of money and fame have often caused problems in the country by doing something illegal or being related to something illegal.

Not even that but Russia also has to deal with ALOT of people migrating out of russia then running to the media and screaming how horrible it is there and then making a living off the publicity. These people start going on shows and writing books about how terrible and tyranic Russia and putin are. Then we have the western media all over it going "OMG here we have russians telling this so it must be exactly so". What they don't realize is that those who leave their country for good on their one initiative only do so for one reason: they hate it! They absolutely hate it and see no good in it! Even if they were exiled then they hold a grudge and try to do what they can to hit back on the goverment that exiled them. Therefore all the people spreading this outside of russia - that's why they do so. Now as for those who say the same and criticize Russian politics for being undemocratic and such - if you're not living there or have never lived there you don't have a say so as far as I'm concerned. You have no chance to see the real situation here. Na, I'll rephrase that - you have a say so but you have no right to try and change it.

Russia has improved moer than any country has ever from the state they were in after the collapse of their old regime. It's funny to see the western media call it communistic and oppressing compared to what it used to be in the 90s. You guys will never see good in this country if you don't stop focusing on it's problems inherited after the collapse of the USSR and take a look at the improvments made. You might just notice it's becoming better after all.

Regards,
Maestro

new topics

join