It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More evidence for evolution than for god

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Now in case you havn't figured out from the title of the thread I am an Atheist.
Now with that done and said i can get on with this topic.
If you look hard enough you will see that there is more evidence to support evolution than there is to support the existence of "god"
Just look at Chimpanzees, the genetic makeup of humans and chimps is around 97-98% identical, the only difference is that chimps have a few less chromosomes than humans.
Have you ever heard of Oliver the "half human chimp" now it was proven that he wasn't a human chimp hybrid but his genetic makeup is closer to a human than any other chinp here is a link en.wikipedia.org...(chimpanzee)
Also there has been plenty of fossil evidence to support the theory of evolution, you just have to look, but sometimes that isn't enough to convince the Bible bashers, so let me ask them a few questions-
1- Why wasn't your God worshipped since the dawn of humanity, if God created man and the earth why wasn't he worshipped since the dawn of time?
2- Why hans't anyone ever seen him? at least hindu's and other religions know what their god's look like, Christians and Jew's have no idea what their's looks like.
Religion was just mankinds first attempt at explaining everything we didn't know or were afraid of like death or were did we come from?
Science is our next attempt at that, it's about time mankind moves away from these primitive superstitious beliefs and accepts scientific knowlege!
Religion should stop being taught in schools, and it should be replaced by scientific fact!
And also evolution doesn't suggest we evolved from apes it states that HUMANS and APES SHARED A COMMON ANCESTOR that is how the two species are realated.
But that is my view i would like some responces, oh and if your a christian or catholic or whatever please don't rave on about the bible and Jesus and that im going to hell and whatnot!

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ozvulcan
Science is our next attempt at that, it's about time mankind moves away from these primitive superstitious beliefs and accepts scientific knowlege!
Religion should stop being taught in schools, and it should be replaced by scientific fact!

That is a very dangerous way of thinking. It was once scientific fact that the earth was flat..

Also, i think you'll find that evolution and god actually go hand in hand, but God is actually just an expression for the total consciousness/quantum field in which we exist.

I agree with religion being mass control, but there is alot more truth buried within religions than most people realise. You just need to look in the right places

In the next few years science will undergo massive revelations as the truth about how reality functions comes to light, again...yes thats right, again. The truth of how reality works has been known long before, its just those who write the history books have omitted who knew the information/secrets.

Reality is quantum. Existence is infinite. Evolution IS creation, and it happens on every level, not just on the cellular one.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

If you look hard enough you will see that there is more evidence to support evolution than there is to support the existence of "god"

Well that would be easy since there's no evidence at all to support god.

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
That is a very dangerous way of thinking. It was once scientific fact that the earth was flat..

It's the church that was maintaining that opinion and was brainwashing it into the people who were kept ignorant because only monks and scholars knew how to read.

The first known person to discover the Earth was round was Yajnavalkya, followed by Pythagoras. (Maybe there was earlier ones but it wasn't written down)

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
97% or 98%? Not bad. How'd you get this number?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
It really depends on your definition of God. I believe in god, but i find that almost religions dont even come close to a good definition. I see god as some all powerful force, and he certainly doesnt look like a man with a beard, and he doesnt live in the clouds. It (god has no gender) is all around us always, we are made of it. Everything that exists is god. It works in mysterious ways that we cant truly understand at its deepest levels.

I feel there is every evidence for evolution. In fact I think we look to much like monkeys for us to not come from them. Does this mean god doesnt exist? No, god works through the beautiful process of evolution. People too often try to seperate god and evolution, I think they work together perfectly.

Just my opinion...

[edit on 16-4-2007 by Vipassana]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vipassana
is all around us always, we are made of it. Everything that exists is god. It works in mysterious ways that we cant truly understand at its deepest levels.

Replace the word "God" with "The Force" and there you have it.

I to know there is a far greater entity out there that is beyond our comprehension though I can figure that whatever it is, is The Force.

/7A

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon

is all around us always, we are made of it. Everything that exists is god. It works in mysterious ways that we cant truly understand at its deepest levels.

Replace the word "God" with "The Force" and there you have it.

I to know there is a far greater entity out there that is beyond our comprehension though I can figure that whatever it is, is The Force.

/7A

force or God, higher power, something way beyond anything anyone could have ever imagined. I think i understand then that your beef is with religions who put forth a traditional view of god that is completely foolish. God isnt a man or some elephant monster or the sun or w/e most of these religions define it as.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I too am an atheist. I don't like to attack those that believe in a higher power though. I just don't believe.

I think humans evolved with a need to believe in some higher power to help with the psychological hardships our ancesters faced. I think it's ok for us to begin shedding that trait. Although unless we evolve some more our brains will always be wired to crave that need to explain things we have a hard time coping with with a higher power. Whether it exists or not may be irrelevent I'm afraid.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I think i understand then that your beef is with religions who put forth a traditional view of god that is completely foolish.

I am not religious, I follow my own belief. I don't agree with religions because, they have taught people to follow there ways rather than people exceeding its system. >_>

/7A

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   

It was once scientific fact that the earth was flat..

First of all, this is completely false. It was never, ever, EVER scientific belief that the Earth was flat, it was "common sense" based on how things looked to our naked eye. Even in classical times there were mathematicians in Alexandria in Egypt who did measurements of the angle of the sun (shadows) in wells in different places but at the same time that showed the Earth was round, the idea itself is not old, just the acceptance of that idea.

There have, of course, been plenty of wrong hypotheses in science. Maybe one of the most famous is the idea of the "aether" (en.wikipedia.org...). This concept explained the facts, but as time and knowledge moved forward, the hypothesis was able to be dispelled and put in it's place were better ones. That's why science is great, because it changes in the face of new evidence and better explanations. Sometimes these explanations are supported by so much evidence and work so well that they graduate to "theory", which is as high as you can go. On a side note, I think it's funny when creationists say evolution is "just" a theory, they really have no idea what this word means! So of course I have to agree and say yes, it's a theory, and theory is extremely powerful and supported by tons and tons of evidence! They really want to say "guess" or possibly "hypothesis". Anyway, point is is that religion really doesn't do this, and when it does it is very slow at it.

People too often try to seperate god and evolution, I think they work together perfectly.

God can be fit to work with anything since it's just made up in your head. The nice thing about evolution is that it takes away the need for a God in the first place, we no longer need that entity to explain the complexity and, really, the existence of life. Imagine a God who works through evolution, the big bang (which, again, there is heaps of evidence for), and other natural laws that he set up and ask yourself, "what is the defining characteristic of this God?" The answer? He is incredibly lazy. He basically would have set up the universe about 13 billion years ago, set off the big bang, and let the laws of nature do the rest for the rest of time. So, really, who needs him in the first place?

top topics

join