It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:58 PM
link   
what are your thoughts on this?

I'm really interested in this one "5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.", but I want to hear all your thoughts on any of them.

P.S.
Please no sarcasim from unbelivers, but your thoughts are welcome

Thanks for the help, and information.
Glan

Matthew Chapter 5
1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:
2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:06 PM
link   
By "meek" I believe this might be meant to mean "peaceful or loving or forgiving" Since this coincides with the Commandments, this might be a good thing. To go against this order, it might mean to be wrathful, spiteful, etc. For example, if someone physically harms you, and you forgive them, you are being "meek", if someone attacks you and you give them two swift kicks to the stomach and head, then you are disobeying this order..did that make sense? lol

-wD

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
By "meek" I believe this might be meant to mean "peaceful or loving or forgiving" Since this coincides with the Commandments, this might be a good thing. To go against this order, it might mean to be wrathful, spiteful, etc. For example, if someone physically harms you, and you forgive them, you are being "meek", if someone attacks you and you give them two swift kicks to the stomach and head, then you are disobeying this order..did that make sense? lol

-wD

Yes, but do you think that "The Meek" will actually live on earth with God? Or is it to be meant a diffrent way? I was always taught that being absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. I guess that's where my confusion is.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   
funny you post this b/c i was actually thinkin of making a post about the beautitudes. this passage is one the my favorite things to read in the bible

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
i think what makes it a good passage is that it's a good set of rules to live by,

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:19 PM
link   
By "The meek" living on Earth with God, sure, they will. They followed God's commands, didn't they? This is all God is asking for, but, some people don't get it, and make it too complicated. To be in heaven with God is to follow his rules he set in stone a long, long time ago. Not only the "meek" though, will probably be with God. All humans make mistakes, so not all people will be "meek", and not all "meek" people will have other attributes that others have. I think it is more of an 'overall' thing than having all things perfect, after all, humans aren't perfect.

-wD

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
This is what I got from www.godrules.net...

Verse 5. Blessed are the meek] Happy, oi praeiv, from raov, easy, those who are of a quiet, gentle spirit, in opposition to the proud and supercilious Scribes and Pharisees and their disciples. We have a compound word in English, which once fully expressed the meaning of the original, viz. gentleman; but it has now almost wholly lost its original signification. Our word meek comes from the old Anglo-saxon meca, or meccea, a companion or equal, because he who is of a meek or gentle spirit, is ever ready to associate with the meanest of those who fear God, feeling himself superior to none; and well knowing that he has nothing of spiritual or temporal good but what he has received from the mere bounty of God, having never deserved any favour from his hand.

For they shall inherit the earth.] Or, thn ghn, the land. Under this expression, which was commonly used by the prophets to signify the land of Canaan, in which all temporal good abounded, Judges xviii. 9, 10, Jesus Christ points out that abundance of spiritual good, which was provided for men in the Gospel. Besides, Canaan was a type of the kingdom of God; and who is so likely to inherit glory as the man in whom the meekness and gentleness of Jesus dwell? In some good MSS. and several ancient versions, the fourth and fifth verses are transposed: see the authorities in the various readings in Professor Griesbach's edition. The present arrangement certainly is most natural: 1. Poverty, to which the promise of the kingdom is made. 2. Mourning or distress, on account of this impoverished state, to which consolation is promised. And 3. Meekness established in the heart by the consolations received.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Well to understand this you need to understand the word "Meek"

Meek is the translated version of the greek work "Praus" and "Praus" means the following:

It was used to describe a soothing medicine.
It was used by sailors to describe a gentle breeze.
It was used by farmers to describe a broken colt

And so what do all of them have in common they all are a great power under control.

A few passages the illuminate this definition

Matthew 11:28, 29 - "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

Ephesians 4:1,2 - "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;"

Colossians 3:12 - "Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;"

What I draw from this is simple meekness is curbing the "natural" desires to rebel, fight, have our own way, push ourselves forward, etc. We submit to the Lord in obedience to His will.

"Shall Inherit the Earth" simply means Those who are meek are truly satisfied. They are content. The wicked, in their rush to possess, usually miss or overlook the best of this world, or else, having seen it, they refuse to pay the price to gain it, or having gained it, they are miserable. Most importantly the meek will also inherit that new heaven and earth - Heaven.

A.W. Tozer
The meek man is not a human mouse afflicted with a sense of his own inferiority. Rather he may be in his moral life as bold as a lion and as strong as Samson; but he has stopped being fooled about himself. He has accepted God's estimate of his own life. He knows he is as weak and helpless as God declared him to be, but paradoxically, he knows at the same time that he is in the sight of God of more importance than angels. In himself, nothing; in God, everything. That is his motto.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Christ Himself was meek.
Come unto me,
all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest,
said Christ.
Take my yoke up
on you,
and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light (Matthew 11:28-30).

The Apostles of Christ also preached meekness. The Epistle of the Apostle James tells us--

Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you?
let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not,
and lie not against the truth.
This wisdom descendeth not from above,
but is earthly,
sensual,
devilish.
For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure,
then peaceable,
gentle,
and easy to be entreated,
full of mercy and good fruits. . . . (James 3:13;17).

Let your moderation be known unto all men (Philippians 4:5),
exhorts the Apostle Paul.
He does not mean for us to be meek for show,
but rather that we strive so that meekness becomes a widely recognized quality for Christians.
The Apostle numbers meekness among the fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5:23).

Meekness is an unchangeable state of mind,
which remains the same in honor and dishonor.

Meekness consists in praying calmly and sincerely for a neighbor when he causes many turmoils.

Meekness is a rock overlooking the sea of anger, which breaks all the waves that dash against it, yet remains completely unmoved.

Meekness is the buttress of patience, the door, or rather, the mother of love, and the foundation of discernment,
for it is said: The Lord will teach the meek His ways (Psalm 24:9).

Meekness prepares us for the forgiveness of sins; it is boldness in prayer; an abode of the Holy Spirit.
But to whom shall I look?
Even to him that is meek and quiet. (Isaiah 66:2).
In the hearts of the meek the lord finds rest,
but a turbulent soul is a seat of the devil."

For this is thank worthy,
if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.
For what glory is it,
if, when ye be buffeted for your faults,
ye shall take it patiently?
but if,
when you do well,
and suffer for it,
ye take it patiently,
this is acceptable with God.

For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us,
leaving us an example,
that ye should follow his steps: who did not sin,
neither was guile found in his mouth; who,
when he was reviled,
reviled not again; when he suffered,
he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously (I Peter 2:19;23).

By the commandment of meekness,
Christ foresaw not only such a possession of the earth.

The time will come,
when the earth in reality will belong to the meek. According to the word of the Apostle Peter,
we, according to his promise,
look for a new heaven and a new earth,
wherein dwelleth righteousness (II Peter 3:13).

By God's Judgement, the meek will become citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven,
which the Psalmist calls the land of the living.
I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living (Psalm 26:15).

the prayerful instruction of the contemporary teacher of meekness, the Venerable Siluan of Athos:

The soul of the humble is like the sea; toss a stone into the sea and for a minute it slightly disturbs the surface, and then falls into its depths.
So do afflictions drown in the heart of the humble man, because the Lord's power is with him.
Where dwellest thou,
O humble soul; and who liveth in thee; to what shall I liken thee?
Thou burnest brightly,
like the sun,
and burnest not out; but with thy warmth thou warmest all.
To thee belongeth the land of the meek,
according to the word of the Lord.
Thou art like unto a flowering garden,
in the heart of which there is a splendid home,
where the Lord doth love to abide.
Thee do heaven and earth love.
Thee do the holy Apostles,
Prophets,
Hierarchs and Venerable love.
Thee do the Angels,
Seraphim and Cherubim love.
Thee,
the humble,
doth the Most Pure Mother of the Lord love.
Thee doth the Lord love and rejoice over.

www.stjohndc.org...

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:41 PM
link   

"Shall Inherit the Earth" simply means Those who are meek are truly satisfied. They are content. The wicked, in their rush to possess, usually miss or overlook the best of this world, or else, having seen it, they refuse to pay the price to gain it, or having gained it, they are miserable. Most importantly the meek will also inherit that new heaven and earth - Heaven.

Ok, so "content" with the things/pleasures (what not) we recieve HERE WHILE ON EARTH? If that is what you mean I agree, AND that was a very good explanation.....Or am I mis-understanding?

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by glan

Ok, so "content" with the things/pleasures (what not) we recieve HERE WHILE ON EARTH? If that is what you mean I agree, AND that was a very good explanation.....Or am I mis-understanding?

Exactly, content with the things provided to them here on earth. To be content is a great joy.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I am a very strong believer, and I TRY to have an answer for most question (KEY WORD TRY)

The other day I had a J/W come to my door, and NORMALLY I invite them in, and I"am more than happy to hear what they have to say (I was more than happy to hear what they had to say), but I didn't invite them in.

He was a very nice man and asked me the normal questions. I told him what I believe and he brought a few verses up, and I could not give a good explanation. I felt ignorant

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I am a very strong believer, and I TRY to have an answer for most question (KEY WORD TRY)

The other day I had a J/W come to my door, and NORMALLY I invite them in, and I"am more than happy to hear what they have to say (I was more than happy to hear what they had to say), but I didn't invite them in.

He was a very nice man and asked me the normal questions. I told him what I believe and he brought a few verses up, and I could not give a good explanation. I felt ignorant

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I believe this passage means that the person who does not spend his lot on frivolous stuff, this person shall have great abundance in wealth--money.

Being meek is not spending your wealth, but saving and being a steward over it. As time passes, the person shall truly inherit the abundance of the earth.

I believe that this is in reference to wealth and property, with religious connotations.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL

I believe this passage means that the person who does not spend his lot on frivolous stuff, this person shall have great abundance in wealth--money.

Being meek is not spending your wealth, but saving and being a steward over it. As time passes, the person shall truly inherit the abundance of the earth.

I believe that this is in reference to wealth and property, with religious connotations.

Now this is the first thing that comes to thought when you say that (I am not saying you are wrong)

Matthew 19:24
One thing I say unto thee: it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to go into the kingdom of heaven.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The meek shall inherit the earth..........after everybody else has already had their way with it.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I believe that meekness is an inner sense of acceptance for life and what it brings you. It means not being mad because someone stole your car, but instead being happy that you knew what it was like to have a car, and also that you can now experience life without one. It means understanding that no matter how wealthy or affluent you may be, you are no more valuable or special than the homeless man on the street.
It is one aspect of "Love your neighbor as yourself".

I think that "inherit the earth" means that those who are conceited and self-serving will eventually bring about their own demise, whereas those who are empathetic and willing to put others ahead of themselves will endure. They can be killed and imprisoned, but for every one that is, their example will cause countless others to take their place. Love is like energy, it can never be destroyed, and the tiniest spark can expand and affect anything it touches.

I think it also means that if you don't find fault and are accepting of whatever life brings, then the earth is yours. No one can take your connection to the earth and God away (unless they kill you, which just sends you back to God anyways), if you are able to release your attachment to material possessions and desire for improving your social status. Once you lose those inhibitions, you can truly enjoy the earth for what it is, a beautiful, perfectly designed, living exhibit with God's fingerprints all over it.

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
The meek mean "the obedient"

And the earth is not THIS earth, but the NEW earth, that is to come. So the obedient ones will inherit the new earth. Which is totally biblically sound and stated in many other places...

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 05:05 AM
link   
glan

Yeah, I read all of it, and I'm a philosophy major. From what I've been able to gather, those who expect the worst are more prepared than those whom expect the best. That's what I've interpreted from the "King James" version of the bible. That's where your quote comes from.

I personally, have only read the "Old testament". The info I gathered from that was akin to "Aesops Fabels".

Here's what I'm tryin' to say now though:
Don't take the bible serious (Like it really happened). Take the wrightings for what they are. Allagories/Fables. Stories that try to help you live a more harmonious life(IE: Rufus(DOGMA)).

Yeah, Religion is a bunch of good ideas that someone descide should be laws. I hope that you interpret those ideas freely, instead of holding true to a religion.

P.S. I'm Soooooooooooo drunk right now!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join