It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autism - It's Hit My Home.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
From what I can make up from this thread, your son isn't Autistic, but has an autism spectrum disorder.

Question then, which specific disorder under the spectrum did he get diagnosed under? Aspergers, High Functioning Autism or one of the other normal to high intelligence ones?

Autism as a specific diagnosis, according to the DSM specs has a sub 100 IQ criteria. If your son is really as intelligent as you say, hes not autistic. If an IQ test later in his life shows he does fall under a 100, then either your parental feelings won't let you see that at this time, or he might have some savant caracteristics and the limited and specific area of interest where his intelligence lies is unclear to you at this time.

If he did get diagnosed as autistic, and he is as intelligent as you say, then he was diagnosed incorrectly and you should go further to get the correct diagnosis.

If you wonder why its important, just think about your sons future. Autistic children can lead a relativly normal life . But if he ever goes to a job interview and they read "autism" rather then "aspergers" or "HFA", hes screwed. Take it from someone diagnosed with Aspergers.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

Psychodump it sounds nice the way you put it but I was diagnosed with high functioning autism because my difference are blatantly obvious and handicap me socially. True my IQ's way above average and I'm talented in all scientific fields but theres definitely disadvantages to having HFA/Aspergers.

You were diagnosed when you were 3 you may not even have any autism. How can you diagnose someone when they're 3 years old? All little kids act strange. IMO you can't really say if someone has high functioning autism or aspergers until they're at least 15.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by JonjoeMcHackey]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonjoeMcHackey

Psychodump

Er....wot?
I´ll assume that was an "innocent" typo.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by Psychopump]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Was a great show last night on Daniel..I believe it was National Geographic. He has a new book out on how he and other savants think compared to non-savants.
website
www.optimnem.co.uk...

My question is how can such a gift help mankind?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
You are in for an amazing parenting experience!! High functioning autistic kids can be wonderful (like any "average" kiddo).

the worst part of helping a child with Autism is helping them to deal with their frustrations. many will act out very aggressively when they can't manage a noisy atmosphere, too many people, difficulty in understanding requests or instructions or constant interruptions in their daydreams

I worked with quite a few Autistic kids at the daycare and they adore routine! Set place for everything, certain clothes, favorite toys and favorite people. one little guy who also suffered cranial deformation had a "thing" about collecting certain tree leaves on his walks...he was highly tactile and would spend hours inspecting his leaves and running his fingers over them in amazement. he was a cool kid, but had an explosive temper (he nearly bit one of my finger tips off when I touched one of his leaves without asking first).

There are a TON of support groups and play groups for parents and families of Autistic kids and many schools have integrated classrooms to accommodate high functioning Autistic.

I've known many adult's with autism as well and while they can be weird sometimes
they are such deep thinkers, very sensitive in many ways, have a childlike wonder than never seems to leave them, and many have a particular talent they excel at.

Depending on the level of function, a "normal" life is quite possible with supports and creative parenting

I'd recommend finding a support group in your area, your kiddo would meet other Autistic kiddos of varying levels and you as a parent would have much needed supports and insights from others dealing with the same issues.

Socializing can be a big challenge for these kids, some simply cannot tolerate too many people around and noise is an issue. Social situations can either cause them to go deeper into their daydreams or cause frustration that too many demands are being made of their attention. They don't like distractions much. They are always on task...and breaking that mind set causes discomfort and irritation.

Treating them as normal may not be completely possible, but trying to not to allow them to divulge too much time in their "heads" can really help them later on. Especially in school where constant noise and distraction is on high.

best of luck, I have no doubt you'll be fine and learn a LOT

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by justgeneric

You absolutely hit the mark here in my opinion. Parenting him is the best thing to ever happen to me!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join