It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Anonymous Posts: Attn: Moderator Hellmutt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Maybe if you are truly concerned about being Anonymous, YOU should take some action and CLEAN YOUR COOKIES...

Why is it ATS's responsibility to do it all for you? Like every other site on the internet, cookies are placed as a matter of convenience. But if it really distresses you, clear them and continue.

Semper

Original Anonymous Post By: anon_108135
Hi,

I'm the "Yes But" poster from six days ago. I have not been to ATS since that time. As you can see, I still have the same anon ID number of 108135.

My question for you is how is this possible without maintaining some type of log or record? What exactly are the tracking cookies tracking and, more importantly, why?

This does not bode well for the integrity of ATS.

We are all looking forward to your reply.

Posted by Hellmutt on 04-04-07 @ 10:12 PM

quote: Originally posted by anon_107917

How anonymous are these anonymous posts? Who on ATS can see IP addresses? I'm sure it's a frequent question here.

I'm a moderator. I cannot see your IP here.

-------

yes but something in the system - a cookie perhaps? - tracks us because all of my anon posts end up having the same ID number tagged onto them even if I don't post for days.

not trying to cause problems but having the same ID number each time we post anonymously doesn't seem very "Anonymous" does it?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
What he said

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Actually, Springer replied to that post.

Originally posted by Springer

If you actually READ the information in the window you are typing your post in you would have noticed that this has always appeard to the right of the form used to create an anonymous post:

Please note. The IP addresses of anonymous posters are retained and encrypted separate from your posts. We are legally required to retain the IP address of posters. This method ensures we meet that requirement while keeping your IP absolutely private and secure. If you post abusive or personal information, we may review the originating IP and block access to the domain.

The IPs are encrypted, stored in a serperate, non site associated db that only one person even knows the name of or has the encryption key to decipher the data.

This is required by law.

We have zero time and even less interest/desire in going through the gyrations needed to put an IP to an ID number.

Springer...

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
anon_108135 replied to Springer's post, and SkepticOverlord replied to anon_108135

Originally posted by anon_109234

(SkepticOverlord here)

originally posed by anon_108135
Thank you Springer for pointing out the Fine Print (8 point font, dark grey text on black background) that is tucked quietly away on the bottom right hand corner of one page within this web site which states that Logs Are Kept.

I'm on a Mac... so the font showed up nicely for me... it's bigger and brigher now, and also contains a clarification about logs (none) and the cookie (one).

top topics

join