It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Taking up Golf

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vinadetta
What other sport do you get to dress up in awful looking clothes, drink beer, smoke cigars, drive a cart while drinking, and smack the crap out of something with a club!!! Now that is fun to me!!!

Don't forget making the car payment by fleecing the pigeon at Nassau.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This thread reminded me of the movie Taps when General Basche (George C. Scott) says:

"With the exception of those years, I've been in uniform all my life. I know men younger than myself who take their pensions and put on stupid little white shirts with cut-off sleeves, alligator on the tit, and spend the rest of their days beating the hell out of a little white ball with an iron club. My God! The thought of it makes me want to puke."

Peace

[edit on 8-5-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Actually, I can't think of a better way to grow old than to chase a little white ball.

I wish I had taken up the game long ago.

New Orleans had some good public courses, but alas, I had other fish to fry.

I know a lot of my friends will be disappointed, but I never gamble.

This is fun thread.

I had my second and third lessons today.

Chipping and pitching gave me problems that I need to work out, but, believe it or not, I mastered the bunker shots right off the bat. We spent no more than 5 minutes in the bunker out of three hours of lessons.

There was something about plowing through the sand that just clicked with me.

I think the blisters are just from the fact that I'm hitting so many balls and my hands aren't used to it.

Ben Hogan actually mapped out where callouses should form when all is well. I'm sure my grip does need work, but like all things that will come in time.

Originally posted by Rren
Thanks for the inspiration, Grady.

Always a pleasure.

[edit on 2007/5/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I also like the very fashionable golf attire.

Every item I'm wearing comes from WalMart, except for the glove that I bought at Sam's Club and the hat that is from the NRA.

Notice that the soda bottle to my right is Sam's Choice Caffeine-Free Diet Cola.

Compare to the items listed at this site.

/3xxrxu

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Here are two excellent video tapes that I bought to supplement my lessons.

I'm not going to say that these could eliminate the necessity of lessons, but they go a long way toward keeping material fresh in your mind between lesson.

David Leadbetter is an excellent teacher and his method translates well to video lessons.

Better yet, the two of these cost less than a single golf lesson.

David Leadbetter The Swing (1991) (1990)

David Leadbetter The Short Game (1991)

[edit on 2007/5/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
You don't need any videos to get better at golf. All you need is practice! Just keep practicing on the driving range, sand pit, etc and you will get good in no time.

I score 85-95 and have never watched a single video in my life. I did take lessons though one summer when I was younger. Lessons will make you even better.

[edit on 5-28-2007 by CPYKOmega]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I'm not sure whether or not to take your post seriously.

I am taking lessons.

The videos are instructional videos done by perhaps the most respected golf instructor in the business, which includes a number of drills that make it possible the golfer to gauge his own adherence to fundamentals.

And, yes I do practice, but a refresher session before I hit the range is very helpful.

I have also read Ben Hogan's book on the modern fundamentals of golf.

Nothing takes the place of practice, but having a clear understanding of the fundamentals and how to perform them consistently are things that can only come from study and in the day of massive information and high technology, there is little excuse for hitting the course only to depend on trial and error to perfect such a complex game.

I actually learned more from watching Leadbetter's video on chipping than I did from my instructor and the video cost less than half the price of the golf lesson.

That's nothing against my golf coach, but getting the same lesson from two instructors with two different approaches made it more easily understood for me and I can keep referring to the video at no extra charge.

I highly recommend both videos to any level player.

Everyone needs to get back to fundamentals from time to time, regardless of how good we are or think we are.

[edit on 2007/5/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Here's another David Leadbetter video I picked up today.

Davi d Leadbetter From Beginner to Winner (1997)

This one covers the whole game and has more drills to practice to hone in on the requisite skills.

I think this set of three will be about all I need for the near future and even though this one is somewhat redundant in theme, there is enough fresh material to make it valuable.

[edit on 2007/5/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I bought me one of these today.

www.medicus.com...

I'm not much into gimmickery and there's a lot of it out there, but everyone agrees that tempo and correct swing plane are essential to good golf and this puppy seems to develop both as well or better than anything out there.

I've decided that my game for the time being is going to be golf training, in order to develop all the requisite skills to play good golf.

Of course, some of those skills can only be acquired on the course, but until I get good at the basics, you'll find me at the driving range and on the chipping and putting greens.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   
What I meant in my reply about the videos is you can watch people playing golf forever, but when it comes down to it there is nothing that will improve your game but practice. This is true when it comes to anything. Practice makes perfect.

The reason I got so well at the game was because when I was a child I would go in the park behind my house and practice hitting golf balls with my 9 iron almost every day. It was fun and now has payed off as I am a pretty decent golfer.

Golf is probably one of the hardest sports to master, but also one of the funnest to play. Just make sure you don't pair up with someone who has a short fuse. I have known a few people who have smashed clubs on trees because they hooked their drives out of bounds more then once.

Trial and error is the way I learn everything. I prefer do figure things out on my own and it has payed out tremendously.

[edit on 6-2-2007 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
My game improved exponentially with the quality of opponents and the amount wagered either in Nassau or Bingo Bango Bongo.

Nothing like a hefty side bet to improve your concentration.

Also, even in the early stages of developing your game; light weight tournaments are beneficial for the beginner or intermediate.
I treasure the moments with my mates and matettes at the 19th hole.

[edit on 2-6-2007 by whaaa]

[edit on 2-6-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I agree that competition is a very important factor in skill improvement, regardless of the activity, and it also makes what can sometimes be real work seem more fun.

Ultimately, golf is a game against oneself, the clubs, and the course.

The ball just sits there, where you put it and nothing your competitor does makes any substantive difference in those factors at all.

As for betting, I don't bet on anything.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Practice makes perfect.

Au contraire.

Practice makes permanent.

It is very important to practice the right things or you will form bad habits.

You had the advantage of starting at a young age.

I'm 57.

I don't have time to figure it out for myself.

I need every advantage I can get and I need to make the most of my training.

That's why I view the videos, take lessons, and it's why I bought the Medicus.

Another advantage to the Medicus is that it will have me swinging even at home and I really need some work on my flexibility, due to a lifetime of injuries. Not only will I be learning to swing correctly, I will be loosening up this tired, aching, body of mine.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Well I hope you have a lot of fun. I haven't hit the links yet this year. I think its about time I take my clubs and head out to the nearest course. Might start off with a quick round at a par 3 course just for starters.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Might start off with a quick round at a par 3 course just for starters.

That sounds like a good strategy.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Now don't get me wrong here, I'm a pretty bad golfer, but I have been working on the fundamentals quite a bit, even though I got discouraged when one of my clubs was stolen.

I've only played a regular course twice and one of those was today.

I parred my first hole today.

The overall score wasn't all that hot but it was a real improvement over the first time I played nine.

Four strokes on a par four.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
First Par "Well done Sir!"

Start stringing a few of those babies together and the handicap soon starts to drop.

mind you when you get your first birdie you could get so excited you'll need a change of pants. As the first par has been delt with, it could be time to start packing a spare pair of trollies.

Good Luck.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Great thread! I wish I would have seen it sooner. Congratulations Grady on taking up a wonderful game.

At 46, I've been playing for 36 years. I have played to handicaps as low as two iwhile in my 20's and as of two years ago played to a six. I had the advantage of professional training in my teens as my high school golf coach is a PGA professional well known in Wisconsin for teaching children. He has coached many players that were quite successful competitively and I was fortunate to learn from him. My ten year old daughter has taken lessons from him.

Grady, your approach to the game as a middle age beginner could not have been undertaken in a more intelligent manner. Your choice of equipment is fine. Taking lessons to learn the fundamentals of the grip and setting up to the golf ball will give you a base that most people you will see on the golf course do not have. Not only will this make you fundamentally sound, but it will reduce wear and tear on your body, because a sound golf swing will be a smooth and natural motion.

The videos you purchased are good, and Leadbetter is considered a short game guru. Keep in my mind that a video cannot see you swing and offer comments.

I applaud your idea of being a range warrior for a while before hitting the golf course. When you do begin to play, don't forget the importance of practice. Try to allow some time to hit a few balls before you play, and most importantly hit some putts, chips, and pitches. Eventually you will want to score well, and a few shots saved each round in the short game quickly will lower your scores.

As for swinging easy, I'm not a great believer in that, as power is a huge part of the game. If you develop a sound swing, hitting the ball hard should not be as much of an issue as it is for those with bad swing habits. I do understand you mentioned arthritis, so don't over do it.

Someone mentioned it earlier, I believe, but when standing on the tee, plan how you want to play the hole in front of you. Much like billiards, setting one's self up for the next shot leads to success.

I have a number of golf partners that took the game up later in life. None of them even came close to approaching the game as you have.

I suspect you will be a fairly competent player in short order.

I have played just twice in the last year and a half, and have been musky fishing instead. I lost my ability to hit the ball a long way, and was becoming very frustrated playing with younger men at the club where I was a member that can hit a 3 wood thirty yards farther than I can hit a driver. I also lost my ability to effectively read greens as my vision has gotten worse as I age.

Reading about your journey into the world of golf makes me want to get back on the course. Good luck.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Thanks, Musky.

Those were very encouraging words.

A recently illness has kept me off the range for a couple of weeks, but I'm getting my strength back and will resume practice and lessons in a couple of days.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join