It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Taking up Golf

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Sunscreen is a must!

Thanks for the reminder.

As a person without color, I know that I am highly susceptible to sunburn.

A sombrero wouldn't hurt either.

[edit on 2007/4/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I have found that taking a sandwich, is also a good idea. Even after an hour or two, low blood sugar can turn a good round into a very bad one on the last couple holes.

A pair of real good polarized, uv sunglasses helps with distance perception and eye protection. The New Mexico sun can be brutal even with a hat.

As you progress in the game and begin to play with others; over competitiveness and gambling is fraught with peril.

I keep a cheap digital camera in my bag. Im not sure why as I have yet to use it.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Thanks, whaaa.

Those are all good ideas.

I especially like the camera idea.

I've found that having a camera handy is never a bad idea.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I took my first lesson today and didn't too badly, although, predictably, I hit the ball all over the place, including a few where I was actually aiming.

I wound up with a huge blister on my left thumb, despite wearing a glove. Tomorrow, I expect to have very sore muscles, because I found myself twisted in ways I don't think I've ever twisted before.

I also expect to be out at the driving range soon after work with a roll of white tape as a new addition to my bag.

I can hardly wait.

My instructor also demonstrated quite admirably that whatever my problems might be, the clubs aren't among them.

[edit on 2007/4/25 by GradyPhilpott]

JbT

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Sounds like good advice to me, the little Ive heard. The Clubs, at the stage of game we play, are the least of our problems. Dont worry too, the blisters will go away after a couple weeks if you play often and wont return unless you take time off.

Ive been playing for about 5 years now. I had my second 18 holes of the year last sunday. Shot 100. I was fairly pleased for my second round and a new golf course I had never played.

But the thing that Ive really been practicing is my Driving on the course. Some leasons Ive been taking have really really helped me take it to the course in real play and have it work. Where as before I was getting my swing working at the Range, and then losing it on the Course cause my mechanics were messed up to start with.

Like your trainer said, its probably not the clubs. For me, for sure its not. Im at the stage of fine tuning some swing issues and then making some VERY big work on my Putting. Within a couple years I hope to join the local course as a member and compete when I can.

Of course, lots of range work & just playing a lot are the keys.

When I get home I will post the name of the Book & DVD instructional guide that I got for my birthday, that I said I was usuing above. Its fairly short & sweet and has some really nice basic & advanced tips for the golfer at our stage. I reccommend it a lot, or something of the kind that you can swing to in front of the T.V. when your Golf Pro is not around.

[edit on 26-4-2007 by JbT]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Actually, after working all day, I've decided to give my thumb (and my sunburn) a chance to heal before I hit the range again.

The thumb is pretty sore and I can't believe that my grip and swing will not be adversely affected, no matter how much tape I put on it. A couple of days rest should do the trick.

My instructor didn't tell me that my clubs weren't the problem, he simply used my clubs to demonstrate his instructions.

I concluded, after watching him, that it would a long time before I would be able to use my clubs as an excuse for poor performance.

Whatever he said he was going to do with the ball, he did perfectly with my clubs, so he pretty much eliminated that excuse, even if I were so inclined.

Originally posted by JbT
When I get home I will post the name of the Book & DVD instructional guide that I got for my birthday....

That would be nice. Thanks.

[edit on 2007/4/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I went to the range yesterday and hit a medium bucket of balls. It took about an hour and a half and I was sweating like a pig when I finished.

The thumb was still tender, but with some white tape and a glove, it was as good as new.

I started out with the irons and for the most part I do pretty well. I do have what are probably the typical problems of missing the ball completely, digging a two foot trench behind the ball, making all everyone to my right duck for cover when they see me swing.

Yet, when I get it all right, the ball goes where it's supposed to and in a pretty straight line when I'm using the irons.

I started with the irons because everyone said anyone can hit with a driver, but when I got the driver out and started hitting, it was pretty spectacular.

It may be hard to believe, but in one day, I've mastered the hook! This afternoon, I"m going to work on the slice.

Who knows, if I keep working, I might even be able to get one right down the middle.

[edit on 2007/5/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Hi Grady,

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

The thumb was still tender, but with some white tape and a glove, it was as good as new.

Well eventually you'll get a callous there and the pain should be a thing of the past... I believe. Did your instructor say anything about this? I've never had a blister from playing/swinging and I play so little that, if its a typical issue, I should have gotten one at some time. I would guess (your instructor would know for sure, I'd think) that your problem is coming from your grip.

I started out with the irons and for the most part I do pretty well. I do have what are probably the typical problems of missing the ball completely, digging a two foot trench behind the ball, making all everyone to my right duck for cover when they see me swing.

Lol, I feel ya brother. Couple things: Your divot should be in front of your ball. With that, and you missing it completely, I'd guess you're dropping your back shoulder.

Yet, when I get it all right, the ball goes where it's supposed to and in a pretty straight line when I'm using the irons.

Irons are easier to hit, for me, 'cause they're shorter clubs. I'm deadly with my 7-9... everything else, not so much.

It may be hard to believe, but in one day, I've mastered the hook! This afternoon, I"m going to work on the slice.

Dropping your shoulder will help with that slice, lol. Hook (left) and slice (right) are bad things. Shaping a ball, the good thing, would be draw (left) and fade (right) which I've never pulled off, intentionally, to any degree worth bragging on.

Who knows, if I keep working, I might even be able to get one right down the middle.

Dare to dream! You've (and all this golf talk lately) inspired me to get my bag out of the shed and hit the links this weekend too...

Regards.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Funny I should find your golf thread, I am heading down to Virginia Beach next week for the first annual Tournament with my three brothers, a chance to hang out with my brothers for a day and see how everyone is doing and enjoying a little competition and hopefully some bragging rights.

Some tips to keep in mind when starting out:

Keep some bug repellant in your bag, in certain areas this time of the year, horse and deer flies, mosquitoes, gnats can be very aggravating especially if you are walking the course so this helps.

You are right to go to the range to practice, it is nice to crack a 275+ yard drive down range, but spend most of your time on your wedges, 9,8,7,6 irons, chipping, pitching and putting. These shots from 150yds and in are the ones which will save you a tremendous amount of strokes whether you are a beginner or a long time player.

I spend 70% on these and 30% on the rest of the clubs.

While you are at the range, have a purpose, don't just hit ball after baLL seeing how far or straight it goes without having a goal in mind. I act like every shot is one I am taking during a round, the benefit of being at the range allows you to hit 5-10 of the same distance and helps you to hone in on your abilities and give you an idea and feel for this when you go to the course.

One example, start off with a wedge usually 75yds - 120yds (depending on your experience and swing speed), put your ball on the turf or mat, pick your target and visualize how you see the ball getting to the target, pick your intermediate point between your ball and the target and this helps you to line up your stance when you take your shot. Keeping your vision of the shot, take a couple of practice swings to get the feel and maintain that vision when you address the ball. Then just trust yourself and your vision and take your swing, it should "feel" effortless, if you feel any tension, you should start over until you get to that feel. This takes more time, but will keep you fresh and focused and will prevent you from machine gunning balls downrange which doesn't really help and eventually results in blisters, and possible muscle injuries. Nice and Easy, like a stroll in the park, or along the beach, enjoy the time you practice and you will get results sooner rather than later.

There are many, many ways to play the game and different teachers will use different ways to help you in the beginning, you have an instructor which is good, don't go overboard and seek out all the different videos or game improvement aids etc. Keep it simple, once you have the grasp of the game and are comfortable with your clubs and abilities, then you can tweak or try something new every now and then, but do this at the range until you are confident enough to use it in a round.

I could go on but it looks like I have rambled on for far too long already, plus you have inspired me to get my clubs out and get the swing grooved in for next week.

You have selected the greatest individual game on earth to play, just remember to enjoy yourself and enjoy those you meet, enjoy the game and the most important thing to remember is always think of your next shot, don't waste any time thinking about how your last shot went, good or bad, that shot is over and there is nothing you will ever be able to do about it.

Enjoy yourself Grady and if you ever make your way to Luray, give me a u2u and we can hit the course.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Good advice, JacKatMtn.

At this point, more than anything, I am working on my grip, aim, stance, posture and swing. The path of the ball is an indicator of just how well I'm doing and I do take the time to try to set up for each swing as if it counts for something.

After only two days, I'm not all that successful, but there are hits that are about as perfect as anyone can ask for and for those I'm always grateful.

I'm really working to develop finesse, too, as my natural tendency is to swing as hard as I can, even though I know that is wrong.

I rarely play pool anymore, but when it was a big part of my life, the two most important lessons I learned was the bridge and the stroke. If you don't' know how to hold the stick and your stroke is a mess, all the hand-eye coordination in the world won't help.

At this point, I'm pretty lousy, but I know what I want to achieve and I have a good instructor, so I feel confident that I can achieve at least respectable success in the fundamentals, even if it might take me a year to do so, though I hope it won't take that long.

No golf course is as predictable as a pool table, so even with good fundamentals, there should be plenty of challenge to last what's left of my active life.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
1) Bring plenty of beer.
2) Keep your head down and don't try to kill it.
3) Proper grip.

Beer is the priority.
And, if you're a really good golfer, cigarettes.

I see what you mean.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Here's some shots of the driving range where I train.

I don't know how much it's worth, but I can hit a solid 200 yards with a 5 iron occasionally.

I wish I could be more consistent, but that will take time.

If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play at it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf.
- Bob Hope

www.quotationspage.com...

A pensive golfer:

[edit on 2007/5/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well, my second lesson is tomorrow. It'll be chipping and pitching. I got a lot of practice in last week, but I've abstained for the last two days to let my hands heal a bit. The huge blister on my right thumb and the smaller one that formed over the first have healed. Here is my right hand.

I am in constant pain because of arthritis, so golf is not going to be the easiest of endeavors, but I choose to be active. My job is quite strenuous, too, so I'm really pushing the envelope, but what the hell. I won't live forever.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Sounds like you are progressing well! Great shot of the Sandias and driving range! Ouch!

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Lovin this thread - will flag in a min.

My top advice: Watch womens golf, the WPGA or whatever it's called, the top women swing so well and do all the basics spot on, without the macho "I"M GUNNA HIT THIS BEEE ACH SO DAMM FAR AAAARRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHGGGGGGG!" which will get the better of you and you'll end up with a bad back, like me! (fell off my bike)

Also some of them are quite easy on the eye!!

Nice pics, what a top place!

[edit on 7-5-2007 by ChiKeyMonKey]

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
My top advice: Watch womens golf....

I agree. The good women golfers derive power from form, even those that who are evidently hitting the weight room.

This one comes to mind:

Annika Sorenstam

I'd like to be able to afford her as an instructor.

www.washingtonpost.com

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I'm glad you liked the pictures.

Here's one that shows the clubhouse and the adjoining Garduno's On The Green.

The drunks on the patio can be a real annoyance sometimes, so I'm not really sure that their lease will be renewed.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Golf is a great sport and lot of fun to play. Granted I've only been learning to play for the last year or so and love it a lot. Since I'm learning I pretty much just stick to the pitch and putt 3 par courses. I guess what I'm really trying to share here is my view on golf and why I think it is so awesome!!!!

What other sport do you get to dress up in awful looking clothes, drink beer, smoke cigars, drive a cart while drinking, and smack the crap out of something with a club!!! Now that is fun to me!!!

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Man, what a sweet looking driving range! Beautiful scenery!!

Grady, I have to say if you're getting blisters, you're probably gripping the club too tight. Grip it like you're holding a bird, that is if you don't hate birds!

Edit: I also like the very fashionable golf attire.

Peace

[edit on 8-5-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by yours truely

You've (and all this golf talk lately) inspired me to get my bag out of the shed and hit the links this weekend too...

ninety - mother lovin' - seven! My 15 year old Hogans were like weapons on mass destruction on Sunday. Never played the BigDog once, as usual outside the range, but was loving the 3wood.

On a par72, very easy, public course. Nevertheless... I'm so going pro. That green jacket will be mine in no time!

Thanks for the inspiration, Grady.

Regards.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join