It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coldest April in 100 Years! What's Goin' On?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Yes it's almost mid April and RECORDS are being smashed in the country from the cold temps! Here are some headlines.

How snow can you go?
WEATHER | Falling fluff causes havoc, sets record -- and more is on the way

Bismarck sees record snowfall
By GORDON WEIXEL
Bismarck Tribune

Spring Snowstorm Blankets Upper Midwest

Freeze loss 'comparable to hurricane' damage...

Not only are the cold temps umm - not common, but areas are also receiving record snowfall amounts. What is causing this, I mean some records may be broken, fine, but when so many all around the same time. Not just this month but in the past 1-2 years, earthquakes, rainfall amounts, droughts, hot, cold anomalous weather.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Did you have any links so that those who are interested can read more about this?

I did find this one.

Bismarck sees record snowfall
By GORDON WEIXEL
Bismarck Tribune

The world cold (or 100) doesn't appear in the article.
www.bismarcktribune.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Yikes, everything is dead or dieing. Im here in Missouri, and where I havent read an article about it yet, it is all over the news. It is not that we have had a cold day in April, or that we are expecting more snow tomorow. It almost always snows once in April (usually in begining). What the problem is, is that it warmed up in the begining. Hell, it was in the 80's. Everything, even the trees bloomed. Flowers fell off the trees leaving us with big, thick green leafy trees. Honestly, I dont think my trees, bushes, or lawn ever looked better. But then it turned cold. They said it was only going to be for a couple of days, but a couple of days has turned into a couple of weeks. Borderline freezes turned into hard freezes. Now, everything is either dead or dieing. My pear tree that was so full and dark green two and a half weeks ago, now has black wilted leaves. That is the story with most of the trees around here. I think there is only one type of tree that does not bud until late spring, other than that one type of tree and the evergreens, all the others have black wilted leaves. My house sits up on a hill, and out my front window, you can see for miles. Ive never seen anything like it. Everything has a brown/black tint to it now. I cant imagine what it is going to look like if all our trees dont come back to life. It is so sad. Seriously, two and a half weeks ago, looking out my window everything was tinted green, purple, pink, and yellow. Even my hardy bushes that I thought were going to make it, are giving out and turning brown.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
If we mix your cold April with our warm April we'll probably get 2 normal months .....

Still, that's weather for you. Always different

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
If we mix your cold April with our warm April we'll probably get 2 normal months .....

Still, that's weather for you. Always different

Yeah, we're having a fabulous April here in the UK. Can't complain

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Sorry for not posting the links, here there are:

How Snow Can You Go? (Chicago Breaks 1957 Record)

Bismarck sees record snowfall, Breaks 1945 Snowfall Record

Spring Snowstorm Blankets Upper Midwest

Freeze loss 'comparable to hurricane' damage...

And here's a new one, stating that April is tracking to be coldest April in 113 YEARS! COLDEST APRIL IN 113 YEARS!

Yes some months are the 'coldest on record' then we are having some other hottest months records being broken. Its just that the weather and climactic events seem to be fluctuating greatly and anomalous to what the past history show us.

Also did you all know that in the The Earth had a 'mini ice age' from 1650 to about 1850...?

SOURCE

The Little Ice Age (LIA) was a period of cooling occurring after a warmer era known as the Medieval climate optimum.

Climatologists and historians find it difficult to agree on either the start or end dates of this period. Some confine the Little Ice Age to approximately the 16th to the mid-19th centuries while others suggest a span from the 13th to 17th centuries.

It is generally agreed that there were three minima, beginning about 1650, about 1770, and 1850, each separated by slight warming intervals

[edit on 13-4-2007 by greatlakes]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
www.ca.uky.edu...

there is one link that talks about it a bit. I think it is for KY though, but you will get the picture.

Last year, we had the warmest April, (i believe) ever. With 90 degree temps. That was followed by the hottest summer, and a winter like I havent seen since i was a preschooler. This year we have one of the coldest Aprils on record with lows anywhere from 18 to 32, and highs strugling to get above 40. Not to mention we have been going through a drought for a few years now. They said that if our trees do make it through the temps, they will be weak enough that they will most likely become insect infected later this year. And chances are they would be too weak to stay together through a nasty storm.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
And yet some more records being broken:

Statement as of 02:35 am EDT on April 13, 2007

... Record daily maximum rainfall set at Kennedy...

a record rainfall of 1.48 inch(es) was set at Kennedy yesterday.
This breaks the old record of 0.89 set in 1997.

SOURCE

Also,

Extreme Weekend Storm

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
What's going on?

"Weather." Nothing exciting, sadly.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Well to the above, I'm not so confident in saying "nothing exciting" or strange is happening with "weather". Records are broken yes, but seeing a large amount of records broken in short periods of time is not normal in my book.

Think of any topic where records are kept, say....Sports..let's say Baseball. Records are kept for the sport for decades. Lets say homerun records are broken one month, then stolen bases record is broken then etc...An unusual number of records are broken in a short amount of time. I would then be suspicious that some new drug or current drug that is influencing the players. MLB officials would most likely also be very interested! It's either a fluke, performance enhancing drugs, genetic manipulations
or some other change in MLB that has taken place, say a new rule, or a new baseball bat material comes into favor etc.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I'm still stuck in south Texas and it has been in the 80's all week. I hate having to run the ac year round.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This Nor'easter is supposed to be a bad one. We're going to get heavy rain and tropical storm force winds for a few days starting Sunday. Upstate & New England might even get a ton of snow.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Coldest?
Dude, here in South America the temperatures should be falling and still feels like summer.
No joking, I'm still wearing my short pants.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tunin
Coldest?
Dude, here in South America the temperatures should be falling and still feels like summer.
No joking, I'm still wearing my short pants.

Well the entire 'earth charges' thing if it is a 'thing' thats happening is all about extremes. So in some parts of the world, record cold, in other parts, record heat and yet in other parts, record rainfall/snowfall amounts. Also larger than normal occurrences of tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, droughts. The intensity of events also may increase, more powerful earthquakes, hurricanes and storms in general. Possibly FREAK lightning or large lightning events may occur.

When the Earth was younger, its' spin was FASTER, and this made for HUGE weather on the young planet. The moon and tidal forces slowed the rotation and we are where we are today in the current state.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Europe is having an exeptionaly warm April, we're expecting 25-30°C untill at least monday and have been having a rather moderate to warm week behind us.

I had this silly idea yesterday when I saw how messed up the weather is in the US in the exact oposite way.

Might they be using HAARP to push the US weather to be the oposite of what "global warming" would bring to people's minds?

I've got some family members stuck in NYC, some friends who went to disneyworld stuck in Orlando and my sister is saying that the people she lives with in Nova-Scotia are saying the cold weather there is holding up longer then usual too.

On the other hand, over here in Europe, we haven't had an actual winter and the current temperatures are so jacked up its almost ludicris.

Belgium, Germany and the North of France are warmer then Southern France and Spain atm which is highly unusual.

Even Russia is already thawing out, enjoying sunshine and temps up to 10°C which is definatly higher then normal for this time of year.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Europe is having an exeptionaly warm April, we're expecting 25-30°C untill at least monday and have been having a rather moderate to warm week behind us.

I had this silly idea yesterday when I saw how messed up the weather is in the US in the exact oposite way.

Might they be using HAARP to push the US weather to be the oposite of what "global warming" would bring to people's minds?

Wow that is quite HOT not just warm! (thats 82-86 degrees for us yanks)

Thats an interesting idea. Well you know we do always need some sort of enemy in our society/economy/government...

Without an enemy things would crumble, countries would fail, cities would become ghostowns..In the view of our government of course. Who knows they are probably right. The think tanks aren't idiots after all-there think tanks!

So if we need an enemy-something to fear-something to rally behind-and there really arent any worthy enemies around anymore (jeez whats the world coming to!), then perhaps one creates an enemy...Or maybe I'm just insane in the membrane.

[edit on 13-4-2007 by greatlakes]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Yeah, I have to add to this - Down Under here in Melbourne, we've experienced an extremely warm week for mid April, every day this week has been around 25-27 degrees and no rain, with today being overcast yet we have already reached our forecast maximum of 28 degrees Celcius and this hot wind just keeps on raising the tempriture.

In the last 2 years I have never seen the weather change so much here....yes, we've been in drought for 6 or 7 years consistently in Melbourne and our water reserves are down to 31.2% full

www.melbournewater.com.au...

We are on level 4a restriction with us only being allowed to water for 2 hours in the mourning once a week and that is only hand watering plants. if it gets worse then we will stop all water use including alot of indutry to conserve what little is left for internal domestic use.

Some towns not far from melbourne have been carting water in by truckes for months now because they have no water reserves left!

I really think that this is some sort of sinister plot to dry out the south east corner of australia....I dont know why but we have had so many cold front cross the state after hot weather with dark clouds full of rain that never even rains....its like the clouds have a skin on them and dont allow it to fall.

all I know is that if we dont get good rain this winter and spring, we are absolutely buggered next summer, and we will turn into a desert pretty quickly.

it worries alot of us here, we used to be called the garden state for good reason,

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Wow thanks for the local info in AUS. You are in water conservation laws now? What are the restrictions etc...?

What is the drought history of the part of AUS (prior to the 6-7 yr history you stated)?

Don't know about anyone else, but I really havent heard about the droughts in aus much...

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The South East of Australia is experiencing a drought harsher and longer than any other on record and the areas affected have never been greater.

www.news.com.au...

Drought hits whole state
Gerard McManus
March 24, 2007 12:00am

EVERY hectare of farming land in Victoria is now drought declared for the first time ever.
"It is a measure of how disastrous the situation is," federal Agriculture Minister Peter McGauran said last night. "For the first time all of Victoria is drought declared."

Mr McGauran said the official statistics of record low production failed to tell the full story of the havoc the drought had caused people around the state.

"This drought is of a length and severity almost unknown in Australia's history," he said.

"The economic toll is well charted, but the human misery caused has been hidden, but is on a massive scale."

In country towns, some areas have been carting in water for almost a year if not more, because their reserves have run dry - and that is only for household living use, such as cooking and "sometimes' bathing -
www.news.com.au...

Rural domestic water critical
Sarah Wotherspoon
March 30, 2007 12:00am

REGIONAL water companies are trucking thousands of litres of water to drought-stricken country towns.
Water authorities have been forced to pay trucking companies to cart water to four towns -- Euroa, Violet Town, Blackwood and Raywood -- to supply residents with drinking and household water.

If regional Victoria does not receive decent rain in the coming weeks, other towns will need to be added to the cartage plan.

Goulburn Valley Water has been carting water from the Seymour and Murchison systems to Euroa and Violet Town for three weeks.

"We are trucking in water seven days a week and it's fed into large tanks we have there to supply the town," GVW operations manager Bruce Anderson said. "We are trucking approximately 900 kilolitres of water into Euroa and Violet Town, 900 tonnes of water a day."

Mr Anderson said it was costing $7 to $10 a kilolitre to supply the towns.

He said if there was no rain over Easter it was likely GVW would have to start carting to Broadford and Kilmore.

Coliban Water, whose water storage is at 8 per cent, has been trucking water to Raywood, north of Bendigo since the end of February.

Service delivery executive manager Neil Burns said water was being carted every second day.

"We are moving 90,000 litres of water every second day for the 95 customers connected to the system," he said.

"There are other towns at risk and we will see how these go . . . if it doesn't rain and the rivers drop it's something we will have to look at."

A spokesman for Grampians Wimmera Mallee Water said while towns in the area had enough supplies, water was being trucked to about 2500 surrounding farms for stock and domestic use.

"We are trucking about 28,000 litres of water every two months to each farm for their domestic tanks," he said.
Also in The Big Dry

* Desalination debate: Water project will be costly
* Bracks alone: Howard can't lead horse to water
* Billing woes: Mistakes cost $1m in refunds
* Infrastructure fight: Water price rise tipped
* Dry argument: Clubs to fight lake plan
* Murray debate: Howard widens water row
* Water warning: Gastro blamed on dry
* Cows culled: Milkers just so much hamburger
* Feed shortage: Big dry fills abattoirs
* Change risks: State climate change alert
* Arena to lake: Pipe is more than a dream
* Fall or nothing: Rain brings some relief
* Tanker lifeline: Rural domestic water critical
* Dam buster: Water thief lucky
* Garden displays: Dry forces flower show pruning

Many farmers in Victoria and NSW have been trying to move their stock of cattle and the like to areas "better off" with food and water to atleast try and save what little value they have left. Many have been culling their stock because they just can't afford to feed them

We heard here not long ago about a story of a rural NSW (New South Wales) cattle farmer who as a last ditch effort to get some money to feed his family took his herd for the long trek to the abbotoir because he couldnt afford to truck them into the nearest town. Once there, he asked the slaughter-man what he could get for them, and the slaughterman replied, that they aint worth anything at the moment due to the drought. So the farmer walked his whole herd back to his farm. Once there, he shot each and every one of them and being despressed by his situation and having probably lost his farm, he shot himself aswell.......

www.abc.net.au...

Every four days a farmer kills himself.
With the disastrous combination of persistent drought and growing debts, Australian farmers are doing it tougher than ever - so tough that many see suicide as their only escape, writes Bettina Arndt.

— The Australian Women's Weekly, Every four days a farmer kills himself, February 2007

The situation is very deperate in Victoria and NSW. I dont know whether you hear mush in the States about this but Im pretty sure you guys havnt had a drought like this before, or even close.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It's sad to read some of these reports. Some are more bad scenery others life threatening. Here in Lower Alabama (US) it's more stormy weather, here with WeatherUnderground watching the formation of Tornado signatures as these weather disturbances pass through. Beyond loss of life and property damage to twisters, it's formers having trouble getting the Sprint crops planted. Now there's a scare as reports on NPR that vegetable prices are up about 13 percent. Some of these could be just normal climate shifts. Polar and Tropical jets shift, US gets the chills, Europe runs for swim trunks and bikinis on a nice warm early spring. I've written about this in the past with the changes in how the planet moves heat around and the changes in the normal oscillation could lead to devastating results like the planet is trying to shake of it's human infestation like dog shaking off fleas. Do I believe in Man's effect on planetary climate change, Yes my numbers show it.

For those of you suffering with the extreme conditions, Our thoughts/prayers are with you for better weather.

top topics

join