It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double Standard in Minnesota

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Star Tribune

Problems at Minneapolis Community and Technical College.

Sooooo .. the college won't allow Christmas songs to be played on the snack cart during the Christmas season ... but it is going to force taxpayers to shoulder the burden of installing ritual foot washers so that Muslim students can wash their feet before saying their daily prayers on campus.

Is this providing for the needs of students?
Is it a double standard?
Are the ritual foot washers even necessary?

[edit on 4/12/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
In my opinion, it absolutely is a double standard. From your source:

In Davis' view, the foot-washing plan does not constitute promotion or support of religion. "The foot-washing facilities are not about religion, they are about customer service and public safety," he says.

What? Is he serious?

Aren't there shower facilities at this college?

Whether you would like to sing in the College Choir, join the Student Senate, play on an athletic team, or participate in one of dozens of campus clubs and organizations, our Student Life program will help you meet other students and feel more closely connected to our community.
Source

I'm assuming if they have an athletic team, they have showers. I wonder why people can't wash their feet in the showers...

Disturbing.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
since when is it unsafe for the "public" if someone doesn't wash thier feet... well okay, besides the smell....

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
So I guess that this is just going to sliiiiiiiiiiide right by the people in Minnesota. It's sliding right by the folks here, and we are all rather paranoid and picky. This should go easily right past them .... their tax money - paying for ritual foot washers at a local college.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I am neither Christian nor Islamic, but I feel nevertheless that this is a gross double standard.

Neither do I support the war on terror or have anything against Muslims, mind you. I just believe that the State should never, in any capacity, demonstrate favor for one faith over another.

For all I care the Christians can blare "Amazing Grace" from the snack cart and the Muslims can install foot-washers every ten feet and the Jews can build a special pork-and-shellfish-free cafeteria. But to allow one group to have their way and prevent others from doing the same is bigotry, however you slice it.

(I'm all for ontological chaos in our society. It's the quashing of human expression that I can't stand.)

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I think the college is missing a good synergistic money saving opportunity here. Have the ritual foot washing take place in the hot dog water on the snack cart.

Next?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
I think the college is missing a good synergistic money saving opportunity here. Have the ritual foot washing take place in the hot dog water on the snack cart.

i think i love you.

new topics

top topics

join