It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Imus a sacrificial lamb?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
While I think Imus was wrong and I am not a fan of his, never was, and honestly thought he should have been fired, I could not help but notice that he was fired on the same day as the Duke Lacrosse Team had their charges dropped, charges filed by a black woman. Both of these stories were top stories of the day.

It makes me wonder if this is coincidence or a calculated plan by the powers that be? It also made me wonder if there have ever been things like this happen in the past, like for instance the Cyndi Sheehan arrest for wearing a t-shirt that had the number of soldiers killed in Iraq on it to the Union address and then the next day a republican congressman's wife claimed to have been asked to leave for wearing a t-shirt that supported the war, to the union address also. (yeah like I believe any Congressman's wife wore a t-shirt to such an important event)

Since I recognize we are having our news manipulated and presented in a misleading way by the media, it makes me wonder if this Imus firing was a total manipulation.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
the same day as the Duke Lacrosse Team had their charges dropped, ....Both of these stories were top stories of the day.

Actually, the fact that the Lacrosse players have had the charges against them dropped, and that the new DA said they were 'totally innocent' is NOT being discussed nearly as much as when the press thought they were guilty. Those men have had severe damage done to their lives by a whacked woman and a corrupt DA - but the press isn't giving this nearly enough attention.

It makes me wonder if this is coincidence or a calculated plan by the powers that be?

I totally don't see what you are getting at. What exactly is 'calculated'??
Would you please explain more ...
Calculated for what purpose?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I think this whole Imus mess is going to be used as a precursor to pushing the "fairness doctrine" and more regulation and censorship of radio and television.
First all of the AM talkers are going to go then the FM hosts like Wendy Williams (who says far more racist/sexist things than Imus ever has but its okay because she's black) then the television will get hit and then the grand finale of regulating the internet. Imus is just the first big one to be taken down by the totalitarians all in the name of political corectness. More will come.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
FlyersFan, calculated as in stopping any calls to riot, in the past when verdicts came down or charges were thrown out, some of the African American population has reacted by rioting and in some of these cases who could really blame people for being angry, though I am not condoning rioting, some of these verdicts in the past have been totally outrageous and wrong.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by goose]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Goose, I also seen something strange with the persecution of Emus, like you I never watched his program and I knew that he was a very open mouthed at issues.

Now, I love free speech and this attack on him make me think that littler by littler we have seen a decrease of free minded speakers and this type of programs been under attack when the opportunity arises . . . very soon it will be nobody that will speak their mind for others to listen.

thisguyrighthere
I agree with you one hundred percent, you see exactly what I see, very soon it will be on more open minded and free speech in our air waves.

From Man cow to Howard and many others. . .

Now they want them in pay radio if they want to still speak their mind.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Freedom of speech, ever heard of it?

As an American, we should be able to say whatever we want, where ever we want, period.
Society has an unseen set of checks and balances that needs no government oversight group or commity. if Imus, Howard Stern, Al Sharpton, or Louis Farrakan says something to offend you, whether on the street corner or on CNN, then walk away, turn the channel, or stop buying any products that support the channel who hosts the person.

Once you start limiting what can be said (freedom of speech) then be aware that this is a two way street and will end up hurting everyone. Freedom of speech is a cornerstone of what America stands for. Places like China, Iran, and North Korea have strict government
censorship on what can be said, read, written or even thought. chipping away at this precious amendment we have would be unheard of by someone who lives in a country where it is absolutely denied.

Do you not think that ratings would drop after someone says something utterly offensive on the air? And if they don't drop, then apparently this did not offend everyone, just you.

Freedom is precious and the consensus of the masses and the will of the people will always prevail in a free society. Don't touch the 1st amendment!

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I think this is a big yawner. Imus's show was never really a good fit for MSNBC, which is first and foremost a news network. Imus was never a news guy, although his show certainly had a news component associated with it.

It was at best a bastardized news~infotainment hybrid with interviews and wacky bits that frequently crossed the line.

NBC is a corporation that has profit as a motive. The sponsors of the show are big profit-driven corporations. Nobody in this ordeal cares squat about anything other than maximizing the bottom line.

The sponsors saw a situation where their continued involvement was likely going to cost them more than they would recoup from the advertising exposure, so they pulled the plug. Once the $$ left, the President of NBC news, Mr. Capus, suddenly realized maybe Imus wasn't a good fit for the news division. Oh and feedback from "employees of NBC news" was also taken into consideration. Because you know, they take their stewardship of NBC news so seriously and all. Now.

Imus can say whatever he wants. He wasn't, and hasn't been, denied any free speech just because NBC has decided to no longer provide him a platform.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I don't think this is about censorship. At least not yet. Imus said something ignorant, baseless and hurtful. Much to his chagrin, he has now learned that several of the women he labeled as 'hos' have credentials that would make Mr. Imus just about qualified to clean their toilets.

The man is an ignorant baffoon pandering to a segment of the population that is largely made-up of ignorant bafoons. The big networks decided they could make money off the guy. Now, because of this event, their revenue is being negatively impacted (loss of advertisers). So they'll drop him and find some other talking head to take his place. There will, however, be an outlet that Imus can fill. It may be smaller. It may be less profitable but there are other channels. So, in the end, Imus is not being censored. His worth is simply being recalculated.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
I don't think this is about censorship. At least not yet. Imus said something ignorant, baseless and hurtful.

Funny that many black rapers make their money selling the same words and labeling and degrating of women but is ok.

When a white man does it is racist.

Again it depends who does the talking.

Nothing but double standards and BS coming from the so call righteous people of this nation that are one sided and only can see in black and white.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
So far MSNBC's decision to stop airing Imus is just a move by them to save profitability. I dont think anyone would argue that. Even if they did fire him because he refused to be censored thats the right of MSNBC to do so. They are a private entity and can do as they please.

What is about censorship is the way the media pushes claims of "outrage" and "offense" to pressure advertisers to pull out and essentially cause a program to be terminated. If the public really thought what he was saying was so awful they would have said so decades ago when he started saying these awful things. Theres a new force afoot and it was evident last night when Olberman, from MSNBC, made his little list of who should be fired next. He's so stupid he doesnt even realize he's on that very list. So are Colbert and Stewart.

The witch hunt has started and nobody on the radio, the TV or the blogs is safe.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Everyone knows what the real issue is here, white people can't use derogatory terms to describe other non-white races, even when joking. Any other race that would have made the same remark would have been taken as a joke and never mentioned again.

Would everyone be satisfied if the censors made it a crime to use such derogatory remarks punishible by enormous fines and employment termination?

Because of course, this will mean that NOBODY, no matter what race or gender, may use terms of this nature, even when addressing their own race. This law would effectively romove 99% of every rap, hip-hop and r&b album on the market, not to mention films and comedy acts, and anyone caught listening to it in public would be subject to fines and possible arrest.

Thats the can of worms censorship can open.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by super70
Everyone knows what the real issue is here, white people can't use derogatory terms to describe other non-white races, even when joking.

Sure they can. You can, I can, anyone can. You can do pretty much anything you want as long as you're willing to endure the consequences.

What some people seem to be suggesting is that behaviors shouldn't have consequences. One person's "freedom" to do something somehow negates someone else's "freedom" to respond to it. People want freedom? I doubt it. What people want is the ability to do whatever THEY want without repercussion, which by definition suppresses someone else's freedom to respond.

Any other race that would have made the same remark would have been taken as a joke and never mentioned again.

"Never mentioned again" as in not responding.

Would everyone be satisfied if the censors made it a crime to use such derogatory remarks punishible by enormous fines and employment termination?

What censors? This is a corporate decision based upon business considerations, period.

Because of course, this will mean that NOBODY, no matter what race or gender, may use terms of this nature, even when addressing their own race. This law would effectively romove 99% of every rap, hip-hop and r&b album on the market, not to mention films and comedy acts, and anyone caught listening to it in public would be subject to fines and possible arrest.

The FCC already has guidelines for broadcast media. Corporations have their standards and practices divisions. I understand the "slippery slope" argument, but think it's way overblown in this case. What we've seen is everyone expressing their opinions in this matter, applying whatever pressure pro or con, as they deemed appropriate, and a business decision was made.

If someone is against rap, hip-hop or r&b (???) lyrics, they can organize a protest and go after 'em. As I recall, Tipper Gore did that very thing with the music industry a few years ago.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by super70
Everyone knows what the real issue is here, white people can't use derogatory terms to describe other non-white races,

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!

And that is what the whole situation is all about and has been also used as an excused to exploit other issues.

Too bad that an old white man was to be the sacrificial lamb.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What is most disturbing is that Imus had an audience. I tried to watch him a couple of times and could not stomach his attitude.

On the topic of this thread; he was not censored. Never happened. The advertisers cancelling caused his demise. They just showed his latest statement while I'm writing this. He is now throwing accusations around. This is a bad man. From his attitude in what I just watched he believes what he said is OK. The apologies must have been fake. Why is anyone defending him? He is an angry arrogant shock jock who clearly has a hate problem.

What should also be discussed is why people who have a history of race baiting and racial slurs are the first to attack him. They will get away with it because everyone is scared of them. Jackson is probably one of the most racist people on the planet. How many people are condemning him? He earns his living by throwing around false racial accusations so other racists will send him money and it works. He threatens innocent companies to force them to give him money and he has never been charged with the organized crime laws he breaks all the time. What would happen to you if you embezzled money from a charity to support a full time prostitute in your employ? He got caught doing exactly that and nothing happened to him. The IRS did not even care. He incites riots with lies and gets away with it year after year. Jackson and Imus are the same person in different colored skin.

The level of hypocrisy is sickening. Hate is on the rise and everyone knows it. We have come full circle and the oppressors are now the oppressed.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Anyone ever think all this Imus and Duke crap is headlining to deflect headlines that this month is on point to be the worst to this point in Iraq for the American soldiers?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
As an American, we should be able to say whatever we want, where ever we want, period.

Unless I'm your employer, in which case I have every right to limit what spews forth from your mouth when you're "on the clock", if said spewing will erode my profit margin.

If he wants to talk trash, he can walk out on the street corner in Comptem and say whatever he likes. As long as he's on his own time.

Under that circumstance, I'd have to agree with you. Let him say whatever he wants to say.

If he wants to stand out in public in Compten and repeat what he thinks about those fine upstanding girls, I'll buy his plane ticket.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsloan
Anyone ever think all this Imus and Duke crap is headlining to deflect headlines that this month

Yes you are right and also Smith babies paternity result tests. . .

But If you are like me . . . I am very much still involved on the fight in congress, McCain speech of only victory in Iraq is good and the desperation of bush in getting a general to supervise the war.

Yes Is more important issues but as usual people love scandals.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
What is most disturbing is that Imus had an audience. I tried to watch him a couple of times and could not stomach his attitude.

I find this kind of statement an example of elitism. So what if you didn't personally like watching Imus. How do your personal beliefs translate into Imus shouldn't have an audience? Are you so sure that many others wouldn't also say the same thing about what you like to watch?

I have to agree with many posters here that Imus is being sacrificed. Anyone hear Al sharpton apologize to the Duke lacrosse players for all he (turns out wrongly) said about them. Is (the reverend
) Jesse Jackson paying for his "hymietown" comment a few years ago? The answer is no to both questions. It's a sad PC fact that any race can take all the shots they want against whites, but nothing the other way is allowed. If you press for a reason, all you'll get is something like, "well, they suffered a lot in the past so that somehow makes it OK ...".

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsloan
Anyone ever think all this Imus and Duke crap is headlining to deflect headlines that this month is on point to be the worst to this point in Iraq for the American soldiers?

Immersing yourself so deeply in a conspiracy that you see it in every aspect of your life and the world is unhealthy. Its like self brainwashing. I mean this in the right way. You should take a break from these boards and go have some fun. You only live once. Your life is what you make of it. Imus has nothing to do with the Iraq War.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
go to the site cloak and dagger and read the latest whore alert. Imus was set up by Sharpton and Jackson who happen to work for F.B.I. division5.. who'd a thunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spread the word............

top topics

<<   2 >>

join