It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Cement Conducts Electricity Like Metal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

A team of researchers led by professor Hideo Hono of the Tokyo Institute of Technology has developed a new type of alumina cement that conducts electricity like metal by altering the crystal structure at the nano level.

By sealing the alumina cement compound along with titanium inside a glass tube and heating it to 1,100 degrees Celsius, the researchers were able to create a homogenized, symmetrical cage structure that conducts electricity like metal.

Results indicate the cement’s electrical conductivity is on par with that of manganese at room temperature.
Moreover, like other metals, the cement’s conductivity increases as its temperature decreases.

The researchers say that forming the cement into thin membranes would make it nearly transparent, making it an ideal substitute material for rare metals such as indium.
In addition to being cheaper than rare metals, the cement would make an environmentally-friendly alternative because its ingredients are more readily available.

SOURCE:
Pink Tentacle

This is a really cool development, completely out of the blue thing to
think, cement that can carry an electric charge as efficiently as metal.

When I first read this, I started thinking, maybe in 2030 roads will
serve three purposes; transportation, Energy distribution and super-
fast internet connection.
Well, maybe not the internet, though it's possible, but I think that
utilizing roads to be energy distribution systems is a grea idea,
considering how many roads there are, and how they connect many
places, all the way from metropolises like New York to small towns
like Concrete, no pun intended.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I just read the paper, and I don't think they're talking about making roads or houses out of it.

It's more of a way to use common materials to replace some rare metal conductors like ITO, which is used as a transparent electrode in LCD construction.

In order to get this conductive behavior, you have to take pure alumina and bake it at 1100C with titanium vapor in a high vacuum for 10 days.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I sort of figured this kind of cement could not be used for building
roads, but it got me to thinking about using roads for those purposes,
by including power lines and information transfer IE ruggeized fiber
optic cables.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Interesting! Engineering is a fascinating field. Titanium sees a lot of uses in industry and in the medical field, so it's lucky that we have a lot of it!

It's the 9th most common element on Earth.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
this will never be used for roads..... too expensive.

x08

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Very interesting. +1 to the magnetic field in roads. It could make hover cars possible.

Also, imagine it being your house floor. When your security alarm is tripped, it automatically electrifies the floor until deactivated. Levels set to 'stun' could be great burglar deterrent (until they start wearing rubber soled shoes)

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by x08
Also, imagine it being your house floor. When your security alarm is tripped, it automatically electrifies the floor until deactivated. Levels set to 'stun' could be great burglar deterrent (until they start wearing rubber soled shoes)

and all intruders take their shoes off when they are knocking you off don't they..

top topics

join