It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this 60 ft. bat wing shape at the USAF boneyard?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well a guy that worked at this Bombarc facility and is a UFO enthusiest says he had also seen this thing up close and it was infact a large semi cannabalized tail section but enormus enough to be a flying wing of the Northrop/Horten varieties. He admits from the image on google it looks just like a Flying wing craft and where situated for that pic can lend to the suspicion. Also of note this gentleman conveyed that the $$$ as well as historic value of these historic craft would not allow them to be destroyed.
And his last sentence was a lol that stated "besides all the hush stuff is in storage in Nevada awaiting reclamation or destruction".

[edit on 14-4-2007 by VType]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
No, this was relating to the YB-49 post that was above my comment. I didn't want to quote it since it was the post just above mine.

Ahh right, just confused it with the potential fact we were discussing a C-5 part

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I know exactly what that is! That was is left of the third Northrop N-9m test plane. It was from the earily days of the XB-35 program. Northrop built 4 of them to test the areodynamic priciples behind the flying wing.

Tim

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I thought that when the contract for the inital flying wing was terminated, all the remaining types were destroyed.

Northrop has show great reverence for many of its old planes and If it was one of the wing prototypes, they would have either kept it for thier own museum or donated it to an outside air museum etc rather than let it rot away in the desert.

Im leaning towards a set of wings that has been disassembled

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Only one N-9 was saved, and it was recently restored by the Chino Air Museum. All the YB-39s were destroyed, along with all the others as Fred said.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost01
I know exactly what that is! That was is left of the third Northrop N-9m test plane. It was from the earily days of the XB-35 program. Northrop built 4 of them to test the areodynamic priciples behind the flying wing.

Tim

Only if those planes also doubled for horizonal stabilizers for Lockheed C-5s.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I thought that when the contract for the inital flying wing was terminated, all the remaining types were destroyed.

Northrop has show great reverence for many of its old planes and If it was one of the wing prototypes, they would have either kept it for thier own museum or donated it to an outside air museum etc rather than let it rot away in the desert.

Im leaning towards a set of wings that has been disassembled

Good point Fred! I know that three of the N-9M's were scrapped. The forth was saved and put in a museum in Calafornia. I assumed that was what was left of one of the scrapped aircraft, as Davis-Monthan is where the US Air Force scraps old aircraft.

I will admit if I wrong, and This time I almost certainly am.

B.T.W. Exactly what happens to a "Scrapped" airplane anyway?

Tim

[edit on 4/15/2007 by Ghost01]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
If they're sent to AMARC, and it's something like a B-52 or something in inventory, they will strip them down and use the parts from them to keep other birds flying. Then after a certain time goes by, not sure how long, they cut them up and recycle them after removing any hazmat.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I think most of the B-52s have been turned into bricks of aircraft grade aluminum, that are at AMARC. Probably whatever was usable for the H models was taken out, and the rest chopped and smelted

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by VType

[img]
[/ img]

as a casual observer & sometime reader of theses threads,

if one looks at the pictures presented in the OP,

and considers the shadows, one can deduce that the 'wing' is not
lying on the ground as some suggest....the angle of the sun and the
shadow cast on the ground tell us that the object (wing or whatever) is
way above the ground, in fact a lot more elevated than the Fighters mothballed in the area west of the 'wing' shape in question.

I would also offer, that sensitive or classified aircraft, whether commissioned or never actualized for use, would be either dismantled,
camoflaged, sheltered...or something other than exposed to satellite cameras of the enemy for the last 50+ years or to public scrutiny and the resulting wild speculations
- - - unless government 'Dis-information' found things like google earth satellite pics a blessing for their mission objectives

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join