It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IMUS loses sponsors over comments:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Two advertisers have pulled their sponsorship of Don Imus' radio show to protest his racially charged comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

The office-supply chain Staples and Bigelow Tea Company said Tuesday they were ending their relationship with Imus, who has been suspended for two weeks by MSNBC and CBS Radio.

Link

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Is he being punished fairly or are people making an example out of him?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Imus owes an apology to the team for taking the spotlight away from their accomplishments.

He should tell Sharpton, Jackson, and everyone else to take a long walk off a short pier.

He'll survive if he shuts up and lets things blow over.

It won't be long before someone else sticks his foot in his mouth.

If Snoop Dog had said the same thing, no one would have blinked.

The term he used, while crude, is a part of popular culture and Imus would have never thought to say it, if black culture hadn't created those terms.

Imus isn't the racist here, it's the ones making the fuss who are the racists.

It's ironic that the ones screaming the loudest for Imus's head are the supposed men of God, who just can't seem to muster up a little forgiveness for what is really just a minor slight for which Imus has apologized profusely.

By the way, I hate shock-jocks and never listen to any of them, so I have no particular afffinity for Imus.

[edit on 2007/4/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

It's ironic that the ones screaming the loudest for Imus's head are the supposed men of God, who just can't seem to muster up a little forgiveness for what is really just a minor slight for which Imus has apologized profusely.

You know, I hadn't even thought of that. Was it not Jesus that said to "turn the other cheek"? I suppose that is just typical of modern religion...pick and choose what suits you and ignore the rest.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
While I can not condone what Don Imus said on his radio show, we once again see Al Sharpton jumping into an issue in which race and the media spotlight are involved. What I find most disturbing is that Sharpton is guick to demand an apology and the a figurative beheading of the perpetrator, even though he has such a blemished record that he should be hiding his head in shame for the rest of his life.

You may (or may not) remember the Tawana Brawley case back in the mid 80s - 1987 or so I believe in which Sharpton was found guilty on multiple counts of defemation and never issued an apology. He destroyed a mans life and could apparently care less.

Wikipedia has a good summary (more detailed account can be found around the internet):

Alton H. Maddox, C. Vernon Mason joined Sharpton in support of Brawley. A grand jury was convened; after seven months of examining police and medical records, the jury determined that Brawley lied about being assaulted by the police. Sharpton, Maddox and Mason accused the Dutchess County prosecutor, Steven Pagones of being one of the perpetrators of the alleged abduction and rape. The three were successfully sued for slander and ordered to pay $345,000 in damages, the jury finding Sharpton liable for making seven defamatory statements about Pagones, Maddox for two and Mason for one.

I find it sad that Imus is being hammered over this by Sharpton even after having apologized profusely.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Connection problems. Double post!

[edit on 12-4-2007 by Modemizer]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
IMUS would of never got fired if the money didn't go running for the hills.

That pretty much the bottom line. You see the brothers slamming eachother and we all acept it, but a white guy does and it is blow why out of porportion.

I don't want to hear from the brothers on this forum that what you do is playful and the white guy saying stuff like that is not. It's all insults no matter what color your skin is.

Who spins these rules in our society anyway?

I think all Stupid Waps should go to hell! Now because I'm Italian does that make my comment ok? No way.

top topics

join