It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs Of Water Seen On Planet Outside Solar System

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Signs Of Water Seen On Planet Outside Solar System

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Evidence of water has been detected for the first time in a planet outside our solar system, an astronomer said on Tuesday, a tantalizing find for scientists eager to know whether life exists beyond Earth.

Travis Barman, an astronomer at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona, said water vapor has been found in the atmosphere of a large, Jupiter-like gaseous planet located 150 light years from Earth in the constellation Pegasus. The planet is known as HD 209458b.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I think that this could be one of the most important discovery in search for life beyond Earth.

There should be other things out there that we have not just discovered.

It is fascinating IMO.

news.yahoo.com

[edit on 11-4-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Still it's quite a distance from the earth.

It'll be interesting to hear more about this discovery.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Great find.

150 light years we find traces of water vapor in the atmosphere of a gaseous planet.....How great a distance is 150 LY in the grand span of our galaxy alone? Not much. With short distances such as that I do not understand how people can argue that even statistically (given the size of the universe) their should not be life and sentient life at that, beyond humanity.

Just goes to show you how little we know and how minute our understanding is of our surroundings out there. Exciting time to be alive.

[edit on 11-4-2007 by Baphomet79]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
It amazes me what these scientists are able to deduct from a planet that far away.

This is outstanding news, but how can they know it is water vapor, what is the science behind this deduction?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
nice find

i always wondered, how much would remain of religions when it would appear that there are more planets with intelligent life?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'm sure a lot of religions would just think their diety created life on that planet too. Especially since nothing existed before "God" created it.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I can't wait for the day we have detailed talks with extraterrastrials, and they inform us we have been using religion as a social comfort and crutch, to make us feel better about our lives. Also for there to be more to life than simple human monotony. I think Gods were a human invention to explain the things our minds and technology could not.

Then there was organized God worship, giving power to the control the masses, through fear of being excluded from the herd, and the place the herd fools itself into thinking they go when they die.

-ADHD

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
If and a big IF it eventually happens that we are finally contacted by beings from out there, i think one certain religious group would order a holy jihad against the infadel aliens , just dont wear a back pack to go see ET... About the Planet did they or did they not back in 1983 find the same sort of Planet in the constellation of Vega??

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Not too long till we will be sending settlers out to these new planets.

Would you be one of the first to sign up.

Time_to_move_to_a_new_home

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching_for_truth

The planet is known as HD 209458b.

I've always wondered why they don't often give planets names anymore.. turns it into a boring calculation.

[edit on 11-4-2007 by riley]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I don't see this a surprising or amazing, just a confirmation that Water is relatively common in our Galaxy. Too bad this was only Vapor in a Gas Giant though, it would have been way more interesting if this were a terrestrial planet. I guess we still have a few more years left to wait for that discovery, as it is inevitable.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
150 light years is about 50 days travel at warp 8...not too bad.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Someone asked for more technical information regarding the detection of water and such on exo-planets - here is a link explaining it in pretty good detail. Even some animation and graphics to go along with the reading (better for guys like me

HD 209458b
Url above doesn't include information about the water discovery, but does have earlier info relating to the discovery of water on "Osiris" (the unofficial name of the exo-planet)

More Info
Some simpler, non ultra-scientific information about Osiris.

Enjoy,

zeeon

[edit on 11-4-2007 by zeeon]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching_for_truth

I think that this could be one of the most important discovery in search for life beyond Earth.

There should be other things out there that we have not just discovered.

It is fascinating IMO.

news.yahoo.com

[edit on 11-4-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Think of this universe as a cell in a body made of millions of cells and that body is also a cell in another body made of millions of cells and that is also another body and this goes for eternity and there is also consciousness beyond these realities, it's also infinite beyond these realities.

And then think that there is also other existences out there that are different from realities that we can't comprehend with the current words invented, and that is also infinite.

Now, that's big.

In other words, there is no beginning and there is no end, existence is simply infinite.

Alone in the universe? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HA HA HA HAHH AHAH A HAH AHH A H HA HAHAHAHAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was my reaction to the concept of being alone in existence and the universe :0

[edit on 11-4-2007 by selfless]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
It amazes me what these scientists are able to deduct from a planet that far away.

This is outstanding news, but how can they know it is water vapor, what is the science behind this deduction?

Don't they look at color spectrum's? that's what I've always read at least. I guess they just look for the colors that H2O makes together?

apc

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Yup same thing done to check out Pluto's atmosphere. Wait for the planet to pass in front of a star (in this case its sun), and look at what wavelengths are absorbed.

It should be noted that these findings are not yet conclusive. They are the result of new theoretical models of what water might look like using this method, and the observations match well.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Spectography Reflected light has certain pattern differences that appear as black lines... The trick was findig and focusing on a planet out there, once they have one the rest is easy (well relatively anyway
)

What I find fascinating is that it is in Pegasus... an area that figures heavily with Babylonian astronomy...

Edit to Add

Originally posted by zeeonwater on "Osiris" (the unofficial name of the exo-planet)

Wow they actually named it Osiris? That is creepy!!! Beth is gonna love this one!

[edit on 12-4-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Great Square area? ? ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join