It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is killing me. Please Help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
So, I bought the new command and conquer game today, installed it on my PC, and immediately started having this problem. When I try to start the game, my PC restarts. It doesn't give any sort of error message at all. I configured it to blue-screen instead of restarted, but the message it gives me is totally scrambled so I can't read it. Does anyone know what else might be causing this problem? I've tried updating my drivers, installing patches...just about everything I can think of, and it's killing me!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Some system information would be very helpful. What are you running, for starters?

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Let's see...

Windows XP.

2.2GHZ processor.

200GB Hard Drive.

1GB RAM.

ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series graphics card.

I think it's the graphics card that's killing me, but I would really like to avoid buying a new one. I've got a compaq, so I don't think I could put in a new video card anyway without trouble.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Compaq, there's you're problem. But you are probably correct in saying it is your video card and you are also likely correct in assuming that buying a new card will cause issues. Do you have any friends with a better video card you could borrow just to see if it would work? Could save you a lot of time and money.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I also think it's the video card. You might give it a shot. They aren't that hard to put in. Quite simple actually. If you need a walk through, don't hesitate to ask.

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
hmm, I haven't heard of a low end graphics card doing that everytime a game is started but it is the most obvious case. But if the card couldn't handle the game, I'd expect an error message. My question is what kind of anti-piracy/anti-cheat (multiplayer) protection does the game use? There are a large number of people who claim it causes alot of problems. Personally, I've only had a few problems with it. (Nguard/gameguard. It kept restarting my computer because a glitch thought I was trying to alter the game process i.e. cheat) But there is also a possibility of an incompatibility between anti-piracy or cheating software and important drivers. (just tryin to think outside the box) And alot of anti-cheat software does dig itself pretty deep into your OS and pretty much rules over your PC all it wants while the game is playing.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thanks a lot for your replies everyone. I finally got it working yesterday. It turns out it was the video card drivers. I had to use drivers that people made specifically for this problem that I got from a Command and Conquer gamefaqs message board. I'm hoping it doesn't cause major problems for my PC, but it got the game to work.

Thanks again!

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Glad to hear that you got it working. Hope it all works out for you. The game's a lot of fun. I really like the GDI Ion Cannon myself. Truly the weapon of choice in this game.

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Glad to hear that you got it working. Hope it all works out for you. The game's a lot of fun. I really like the GDI Ion Cannon myself. Truly the weapon of choice in this game.

TheBorg

Yeah, I'm loving it so far. The Commando mission was a lot of fun.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Just me or do the Scrin seems a lil over powered when you play as them in skirmish?

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Just me or do the Scrin seems a lil over powered when you play as them in skirmish?

I made the mistake of playing against them the first time haha.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Yes, Scrin do seem a bit overpowered. Especially when they send a ship after you that is invisible and you can't attack it back.

As for weapon of choice, the ion canon is cool to watch, but the nuke does great damage.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Have you tried simply reinstalling the game?

If the game is giving commands to write to ram sectors that arent there, or sectors that are already in use, it would also crash your computer.

Same with the video memory, if it's writing to video memory thats already in use, or simply not there, it would do the same.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
That's something I hadn't considered yet johnsky. Good call man.

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
This thread made me go and get the demo for the game... HOLY **** its a good game!

I love the walker artillery units! They turn anything into a crater.

And the ION cannon is just unfair... for the enemy, lol. I love how it spirals in, then decimates the area.

I also like how you can re-deploy your MCV by default... in tiberian sun, you couldnt unless it was in a skirmish.

And that asian chick from Battlestar is in it... Shes HOT!

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
And that asian chick from Battlestar is in it... Shes HOT!

Yup, gotta love her...

TheBorg

new topics

top topics

join