It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planting New Trees May Contribute to Global Warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Planting New Trees May Contribute to Global Warming

dsc.discovery.com< br />

Planting new trees in snow-covered northern regions may actually contribute to global warming as they have the counter-effect of tropical forests, according to a study out Monday.

While rainforests help cool the planet by absorbing carbon dioxide and producing clouds that reflect sunlight, the dark canopy of Canadian, Scandinavian and Siberian forests catches sunrays that would be reflected back to space by the snow, the study said.

The study, published Monday in the online edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that reforestation projects in the tropics would help mitigate global warming, but such projects would be "counterproductive" in high latitudes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/10/2007 by shots]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I could be wrong however I feel they are trying to scare people here.

What do you think?

I have always been under the impression trees were good for the earth or am I missing something here?

dsc.discovery.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/10/2007 by shots]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It's the whole albedo thing.

The whiteness of the snow, reflects more sunlight back into space, than a dark colored tree. But we're only talking about certain areas.
Other places, that don't have a lot of snow cover, the trees would have a positive effect.

Thats why I believe EVERYONE should be issued a giant, 5 foot diameter, super white sombrero. Put it on, and stand outside, for a couple of hours per day. Between 10 am, and 2 pm. Together, we can end "global warming". And, look really stupid, in the process.

[edit on 10-4-2007 by spacedoubt]

join