It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Airshow Ever........Those were the days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Back in the day, around the Reagan Administration...I remember being out at Point Mugu Naval Air Station (Now PMNAWS) and witnessing the greatest airshow I have ever been to.

My question is, what's the best show and in detail why, that you have ever been to?

The show that I am referring to was whn I was still a little guy, but I remember it vivdly...and my Dad has pics to help.
That day was an exercise in fleet dominance. I remember getting there around 8 a.m. and there being a constant line of military aircraft on take off. They left the area and went out of the coast near Catalina (I later learned) and did some quals on a carrier while the airshow went on.
The airshow went on with a myriad on civilian and warbird aircraft and mixed in and out of the routines all day long, fleet aircraft would come by in 2 and 4 ship formations, some touch and go's, mock in-flight refuelings, live (seriously) missile firings off the coast a few miles, and and so on. I remember the then new F 18's being the talk of the town, tons and I mean tons of F 18's, F 14's, F 4's, A 7's, A 6's, S 3's, Skyraiders, A 4's, etc..
I am telling you, if it was in the inventory, it was flying that day...in large numbers and for long durations. Amid it all, were demos by the F 14, F 18, F 15, and even a flyby of the SR 71.
All in all one of the most influential days of my life. It was like trying to keep your neck from coming unscrewed while you tried to keep track of it all day long. I have spent countless hours at the base since for Hornet related tasks, but it has never been like that. On a side note, it is noteworthy to mention that Reagan has a ranch very nearby.

Peace to you all...just wanted to share a moment in my life for you!!!

Mondo

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
August 1995. To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the end of WWII, the USS Carl Vinson sailed to Pearl Harbor with a group of old warbirds on her. They had a B-25, an F4U, and many others. To commemorate things they had a flying parade past Waikiki Beach and downtown Honolulu. They had the warbirds, the B-2, F-15E, F-14, B-52, B-1B and just about everything else you could think of in the formation. Most of them were also at the static display they had at Hickam.

That was also the time that the B-25 pilot let me fly with him and his crew around Oahu when they went back to Barbers Point NAS, where they were keeping the planes.

[edit on 4/10/2007 by Zaphod58]

join