It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coffee & Cigarettes - Protection against Parkinson? Studies found...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I'm not one to advocate you to take up any bad habits. Far be it!

We all know the dangers of 'Smoking' and drinking too much Java.

Like everyone else I know, drinking TOO MUCH coffee gives me the jitters!

However...

With this NEW STUDY, there seems to be a link between the two that seems to stave off/protect against Parkinson's Disease.

Hmm....

LINK:

www.newscientist.com...

[edit on 10-4-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
I'm not one to advocate you to take up any bad habits. Far be it!

This is my normal morning routine, looks I even though I won't be able to breathe, I will be sharp enough to understand what I have done to myself...

I reiterate TheDuckster's disclaimer of not advocating my bad habits to our members..... JacKatMtn says..."Don't smoke"

[edit on 2007/4/10 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Not only will they help prevent parkinsons but constipation to boot!

Im sure its just the fact that these are two stimulants that keep the nervous system jumping. You could probably get the same effect with excersise or playing sports. But who wants to do anything thats good for them?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Cigs and coffee may help prevent Parkinson's, but the cons of both habits outweigh any positive.

Cigarettes deposit a ridiculous amount of poison into the body. Smoking accelerates heartbeat and raises blood pressure, it makes you age faster, it can accelerate hairloss, increases free radicals, and on and on...

If one is looking to prevent ailments, some people believe vitamins/herbal supplements can be very beneficial.

[edit on 10-4-2007 by horrorbiz]

[edit on 10-4-2007 by horrorbiz]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Not only will they help prevent parkinsons but constipation to boot!

I agree with you on this one!!! LOL (No sooner do I down a few cups of coffee, then there's the visit to the bathroom!)

But back to the subject:

I was wondering WHAT chemical components are involved to prevent Parkinsons?

There's a little math/biological/chemical equation that puzzles me:

Cigarettes (Negative)
+
Alot of Coffee (possibly Negative)
========
Equals: Possitive results?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I wish I could believe this study Duckster but I'm afraid my father in law would be the exception.Smoker since he was 12, 2 packs a day and about 10 cups of coffee a day.He had a very hard time with parkinsons until he passed away last year. His head and hands shook so bad he could barely drink his coffee or smoke his cigarette.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I wish I could believe this study Duckster but I'm afraid my father in law would be the exception.Smoker since he was 12, 2 packs a day and about 10 cups of coffee a day.He had a very hard time with parkinsons until he passed away last year. His head and hands shook so bad he could barely drink his coffee or smoke his cigarette.

Omg! Access!

So very sorry to hear about your Dad.

I posted the article NOT to encourage people to take up smoking or access
coffee binging, but to find out if there was a corulation between the 2, that the medical profession might have found some secret ingredients to stave off parkinson's disease.

I've been doing some research on the side about this disease.

From the time of the 60's when scientists discovered the 'El Dopa' drug (the movie "Awakenings") to various other ones at present.

I've been sitting on a particular thought now concerning the news article I Linked regarding the Scientific/Medical community...

It almost...ALMOST seems as though these scientists are advocating 'take up smoking and drink coffee. What bothers me about the article is that there was no reference to which combinations of 'what and what' chemicals were responsible for holding back parkinsons.

Anyways.
It's hardest on the person who has the disease itself, and almost just as hard (mabey harder?) on the loved ones who have to watch them go through it.

The feeling of helplessness is a constant companion to the onlooker.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think the response here is "wait for the followup studies."

You can get a group (particularly if it's small) that has some 'quirk' about it that skews the heck out of the very best tests. It could be something as innocent as "it is the habit of the people in this area to drink a glass of wine each evening" or "these all have a common ancestor about 500 years ago."

It's odd and interesting, but I'm not about to take up cigarettes! Coffee... well, I like it in moderation.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
horrorbiz

Cigarettes deposit a ridiculous amount of poison into the body. Smoking accelerates heartbeat and raises blood pressure, it makes you age faster, it can accelerate hairloss, increases free radicals, and on and on...

It's hard to get through our daily routine without being bombarded by poisons of various sorts. Seriously, we live and breathe and work in a pile of garbage, plastic and other petroleum byproducts, along with a whole host of chemical concoctions - we put them in our hair, in our bodies, we eat and drink with them (sometimes we eat and drink them!). Then there's the heavy metals and radioactive substances.

Cigarettes seem to prevent Alzheimer's too!

top topics

join