It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building a survivalist website. Any ideas?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I've found numerous site on bulk food items such as flour, salt, sugar, beans, etc... but can't find anything that tells me how to prepare a meal from the items. In other words, how do I prepare a "single" meal with the items so that I'm not wasting anything and still making it last 3, 6 or 12 months. I'd like to find a cook book that I could incorporate into my daily life now that I'm 50 and on my own for the first time in my life.

I've also started collecting older how to books. A list of books that would be most helpful would be something to consider.

I've also wondered what and the shelve life for seeds to purchase for a potential garden.

In the area of a automobile survival kit, what kind of food items can withstand summer temps in a desert environment. I found only one power bar rated at a temp of 140 degrees. Haven't had a chance to purchase and taste yet, but I'd like to have something that I wouldn't have to worry changing for about a year or so.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
If you are serious about the survivalist website, I think the following is in order:

a) you host it on your own server which is a ruggerized computer
b) the server is somewhere in the woods in an undisclosed location
c) it is autonomously power (solar, fuel cell, etc)
d) connection to the Internet via satellite uplink

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Living in the Uk I would find any info on weapons useful:

Good weapons
How to make them
How to maintain them etc

Although you might want to be carefull you don't breach any laws, particuarly in the current terrorism climate. (i.e probably best to refrain from discussing how to make bombs).

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
sounds like a great idea.. keep us updated on how its going

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaos1911
Although you might want to be carefull you don't breach any laws, particuarly in the current terrorism climate. (i.e probably best to refrain from discussing how to make bombs).

Refraining from that type of discussion is a good idea. Beside bombs are for militants not survivalist.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Perhaps get members to join and if they want, give them the option to say what state they are from. Or you could keep it anonymous and just have a map showing dots of where all of the members are from. You could have a mini-forum or discussion board and if people were willing to say where they are from, they could post it there and try to find people by them.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by leira7

I like the miniforum idea, that way like minded people worldwide can have a single source for info and supplies. and we would also be undercover ATS'ers

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Just found your website. I would love to see individual stories from people that were in precarious situations. Also maybe a forum for short stories about how someone solved a particular problem. Perhaps post a question and then get different answers for us to read.

In the 70's, in the magazine Mother Earth, people would write letters,diagrams & pictures showing unique homemade inventions. That would be nice for you take a pick of the best ones and add them to the website.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Heres an idea for a section:

"The survival ark"

Have a cache or collection of ebooks, pdfs etc. Basically everything you can ever find about survivalism in an electronic form. Turn it into a .rar file and allow people to download it.

This would allow your website to be the one-stop location for all survival ebooks. It would also allow casual survivalists (those with an interest but not that much time) to just download any relevant and possibly useful survival books for the future.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Just been to the OPs website and I'm not really impressed. He's just gone and entered a few survival tagwords and fired it into godaddys search engine.

So just another link and banner farm for someone wanting to make money off external sites.
I think I might start my own off at this rate

[edit on 25-5-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
WR, the OP has already stated that they aren't looking to make money off of it. He/she is just getting started on their website, be patient.

I like the idea of a forum and also a map with dots on it, showing where members are from so they can exchange ideas, network, form potential groups for disaster situations, etc.

Also, I'd recommend a reading list. The two best books I've ever seen on survival are the Army's Guide to Surviving Anything (or some such title; it's their field manual anyway) and "Surviving Without Technology" or some such by Matthew Stein. The Army guide has info on how to survive anything, no matter what your circumstances or location, even the north pole; also how to find out what is safe to eat if you do't know the local floral and fauna.

OP, if you U2U me your website, I'll be happy to publish a link in my magazine for you. Our readers are very interested in survival ideas.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
How about a Wiki style section on edible and medicinal plants? or Improvised first aid methods for various situations?

Although you would have to stay on top of it cus abuse of that sort of thing could be very dangerous.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
actually the site has come and gone. not sure why he shut it down. He is also a member of my Survival site but hasn't been active in some time. Shame to its such a good name.

WatchRider I haven't forgot about the info I am looking up for you I just got busy, working my leg so I can strengthen it enough to be allowed to go back to work. I ask for a few more days please.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Ahh, I see, he's shut it down now. Sorry overreacted there a bit and didn't see the bit about him not being for profit.

Well said on the map, I might be able us that idea!

With my current stuff going on I don't have the time to build one from scratch, however...

I have 2 websites concerning Diving and Touring.

But not one for Survivalism per say.

My survival segment concerning survival at sea article I wrote is here:

Survival At Sea

I may expand this to cover some further survivalism issues, such as quick comms announcements to any survival team people etc.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
If anyone is up to starting a site again, let me know. I have extensive resources in web design and programming.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
DR,

It sounds like a great idea to me, and I hope you don't give up on it. I'd be glad to help you out in any way I can, just U2U me if you like.

As for topics, I believe a lot of people just don't have the financial resources available to stockpile necessary supplies or gear, so maybe you could have a section on how to improvise the needed equipment.

A backpack doesn't have to be a Kelty to be functional, a good knife doesn't have to be a Buck or SOG to get the job done, etc..

Also, a section on the basic survival skills is a necessity. As they say: Knowledge is power. You always have your brain with you.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I too have thought about starting a survivalist-ish website that would encompass all aspects of the survivalist world, ie: Survival, Self-sufficiency, bushcraft skills, eco-friendly technologies, off-grid style, small-holding, etc etc.

I think that possibly the best way of going about this is to start a 'Survival Wiki'.

The advantages are that a lot of people can contribute to it from all aspects of the above movements. Its non-profit making. Its likely to be more accurate. Its not full of downloadable documents like some websites are. Its updateable. It would cover a vast range of the relavent subjects.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join