It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imus on his knees begging

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmocow
they are enemies but he doesn't believe he should be fired. Isn't Sharpton the one that used "Hymietown" when referring to new york, i think, when he ran for president....if nappy headed hos is racist then so is hymietown

Not only that but he has a habit of calling white folks..honkeys and crackers.but of course nothing is said of that.

While I think his(IMUS) comment was rude and uncalled for I don't view it as "racists"

Now the other that said jiggaboo should be fired as that is known to be a racist word.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
You can't win money in a lawsuit if you aren't emotionally scarred. Hate to point that out but its painfully obvious to me.

My thoughts exactly! I don't see how being called nappy headed ho by someone I'm sure these girls have never even heard of can "scar you for life"
I see it as the girls looking to make some money off of it.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CSIfan
I guess the jig(gaboo) is up!

While this is part of the topic (A quote from Imus) let's not get carried away and take things too far.

This does bring up an interesting point. It appears as if the world "jigaboo" is a variation of the world "bugaboo" which has Celtic origins.* Douglas G. Wilson of the American Dialect Society believes that this slang term originated from a 1911 song.

I speculate that "jigaboo" as used in the 1911 song(Bessie McCoy's famous "Yama Yama Man") was a nonsense word.

AFAIK "jigaboo" in a racial sense is not attested earlier than 1926.
Possibly this later usage was [partly] inspired by the nonsense usage in
this 1911 song?

I assume that "Jigaboo" here was basically a nonsense word.

I assume "Yama Yama" was a nonsense expression too. A book about "Yama Yama Land" (something like Oz, I gather) was apparently inspired by the "Yama Yama Man" song, but the song itself (in its simple form) doesn't seem to include any geographic or ethnic reference.

link
link

This appears for the most part to be true from what I can gather. Searching Google Books I can't find any reference of the word used in a book until around 1930. It disappears for the most part in searchable literature until the 1960s where it's then listed as slang in dictionaries.

So begins the racial fight over being called, what amounts to a nonsense word from a play written around 1906. It was quite popular in it's time. While you might not remember the song Yama Man you've no doubt heard of Cuddle Up A Little Closer, Lovey Mine. Yes this song came from the same play called "The Three Twins". In that light I have to say that CSIfan's pun might actually be funny. Still let's not use the j-word or the n-word (nappy) since that's all that's needed to get fired or to be called a racist.

In the future we won't even be able to say "African American" since this will probably be looked at as offensive. I imagine there will be a court case where the lawyer asks the defendant, "Did you in fact use the 'A' word when referencing the plaintiff?" To which the defendant responds, "Why yes I called him an African American." The courtroom crowd will gasp in disbelief that someone dared uttered the 'A' word in public.

Where's the ACLU when you need them?

*Etymology Dictionary

[edit on 11-4-2007 by dbates]

[edit on 11-4-2007 by dbates]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Now, I seem to recall that FREEDOM OF SPEECH does notinsure a person the right to LIBEL, does it?

No, of course not.

What is Libel?
In order for the person about whom a statement is made to recover for libel, the false statement must be defamatory, meaning that it actually harms the reputation of the other person, as opposed to being merely insulting or offensive.
The statement(s) alleged to be defamatory must also be a false statement of fact. That which is name-calling, hyperbole, or, however characterized, cannot be proven true or false, cannot be the subject of a libel or slander claim.

If anything, this event has boosted the opinion of this team. It certainly hasn't harmed their reputation. It was an insult, which is not Libel.

What Rappers do, and get away, with has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT IMUS SAYS ABOUT THESE YOUNG FEMALE ATHLETES.

Why not? Why is it more acceptable for rappers to use this term to degrade women (who are not, in fact, hoes) than for a radio personality to do the very same thing?

It doesn't make it right,

I don't think anyone is saying what Imus did is "right". I'm certainly not.

Those grasping for a straw to defend Imus and his nasty language to describe these young women really appear insensitive;

I'm certainly not defending him. What he said was wrong.

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
Where we "first" heard it? Well, I'm watching Roots right now, on TVOne, and I would have to say, you are dreadfully mistaken.

Can you tell me more? You first heard "hoes" on ROOTS? Can you expand on the context?

Don't be so quick to deflect the blame from Imus, and really think about what you're saying.

I'm not deflecting the blame. Imus is responsible for what he said. I'm just wondering why NOW all of a sudden, when it comes from a white man's lips, everyone is up in arms, when millions of CDs have been bought and sold with the very same slur directed at innocent women...

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
But i am happy to have a civilized conversation with you

Likewise!

So sorry you didn't appreciate my sense of humor when I wrote that the "jig(gaboo) was up" for Imus (in that he is beginning to lose his advertisers).
If only you could have seen how hysterically delighted I was when I typed it, how perfectly it fit...oh, what joy! NO, I won't edit it. Report me.

My mouth popped open when I saw your 'joke', too. Thank you. It's a PERFECT example of one person's sense of humor being seen as crass, insulting and unacceptable by other people.

However, I support your right to say it 100%!

Thank you for proving my point so perfectly!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I guess the jig(gaboo) is up!

Funny how quick everybody jumped on CSIfan for this, when if they read back a few posts, he/she is one of those calling for Imus's head. Get over it people, seriously. It was kinda funny, in fact, it 'cracker-ed' me up (I said that cuz I'm white, so only white people can laugh at that joke or I'll be offended and my spirit will be crushed, nobody wants that). Imus was CLEARLY trying to be 'hip-hop' when he said that, anybody here ever have their dad try to say something that he thinks is cool, but it makes your skin crawl when he attempts it? That's what happened here, seems pertty obvious to me. There would be no reason for him to assume or even care if they're whores, which I'm sure they're not, he was just trying to be cool. Another example of when "keeping it real goes wrong", lol (loved the Chapelle show).

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
Imus was CLEARLY trying to be 'hip-hop' when he said that, anybody here ever have their dad try to say something that he thinks is cool, but it makes your skin crawl when he attempts it? That's what happened here, seems pertty obvious to me.

That's EXACTLY what I thought!
He was trying to sound "young and hip" and it backfired.

Poor fool. He'll never try that again.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightWorker13
You know, now I know why there is such a hoopla about this, mostly stemming from our media, who has reported on this small story all day while shutting up about important ones...

They overfocus on stories like this for a simple reason.

Personally, I am actually interested in the fact that imus announced 9/11 was an inside job the same day, makes a racist comment, which is NOT abnormal for him from what is described on this thread, and is immediatly brought down, labled a racist and pretty much everything he has said is tossed out with that. Why wasnt he taken out a long time ago, it seems like a strange coincidence to me personally.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
That's EXACTLY what I thought!
He was trying to sound "young and hip" and it backfired.

Yup. I don't even understand how others can't see that, young black men call women ho's, even if they don't know them or their morals, young white men call them chicks, does that mean the women are actually baby birds? Like somebody already mentioned the movie "White Chicks" with the never funny (to me anyway) Wayans brothers, and as was mentioned, a movie where two white guys dress up like black women called "Black Ho's" would probably restart the LA riots. So to recap, blacks can call white women chicks like whites do, but whites can't call black women ho's like they do, lest we mean it literally and not as slang. I could see 'n-word' being touchy, since it has history, but ho is a fairly new term and does not date back to slavery, so basically we have to watch anything we say around blacks or we're racist. Sorry, but I'm not gonna walk on that many eggshells.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

So to recap, blacks can call white women chicks like whites do, but whites can't call black women ho's like they do, lest we mean it literally and not as slang.

This is what I find so totally absurd. It seems that today you can only be a racist/bigot if you are white or christian.

Nobody remembers or even cares about the asian who wrote about why he hates blacks. LINK Why is it okay for one race to hate but not another? I smell political/social hypocrisy.

Same goes for christians. Religion is cool until the minute a christian shows his/her faith. Insult a muslim or jew though and all hell is going to break loose. You can demonstrate all other religions seperately but once you show christianity alone all other religions must also be represented or face a lawsuit. Kind of fishy if you ask me...

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I would just like to point out that when black ppl, mainly rappers say ho, they are referring to girls that act like ho's and do ho things. They are not calling black women who are succesful athletes hos or other women who do NOT do ho things.. I just I should mention that.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Regardless of the meaning assigned to a given word in 1906, language, and cultural consensus evolve across time...words morph...definitions change. This applies equally to racial slurs. The use of racially provocative language in a humorous context...and the resulting backlash, is exactly what our friend Mr. Imus finds himself up against today. People of all colors found it offensive...and evidently, so did some of his more responsible sponsors.

I support everyone's right to voice opinions...and that includes the right of others to be offended by them.

Do I find certain lyrics disgusting, racist? You bet I do, but attempts to compare the Imus comments to those made by rap artists...and then expose the contradictions...is to compare apples to oranges, and completely ignores the cultural context of his unfortunate situation.

I can't know what goes on inside the heart Don Imus. He made some really insensitive remarks, and it doesn't look like his abrasive history is going to help him out much on this one. No crystal ball here, but he's an aware individual, and my hunch is he learns, and grows from it in more ways than one...no need for pitchforks...tar & feathers.

Once again the issue of racial insensitivity is in the forefront of public awareness...we're talking about it...a good thing.

Peace &
Good Fortune
OBE1

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I would just like to point out that when black ppl, mainly rappers say ho, they are referring to girls that act like ho's and do ho things. They are not calling black women who are succesful athletes hos or other women who do NOT do ho things.. I just I should mention that.

No offense intended, but you really are not in the position to speak for, or define the intent of all others because you share their skin color. I've never heard them specify in such a manner that they are not referring to successful women who do not do "ho things". You seem to be implying that ALL black men have respect for successful women, and none of them would call a successful woman a ho, I've known plenty of black men that would just call them a successful ho. Chauvinistic men have reffered to women in demeaning ways since the dawn of time, remember "broad" and such? Ho is just one of the words black men have chosen to do it, along with byotch, etc.

And again, it was obvious Imus was trying to be funny and use urban terms to be cool, not having any idea it would cause such an uproar, guess there's not more important things we all need to be worried about like world hunger, war, and corrupt governments. Not when there are clueless old men making a failed joke trying to use urban terms that we can blow way out of proportion.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Good point, Implied. I didn't know that. And I doubt Imus does (or did - He probably does now). I've heard the word used so much in rap lyrics, I honestly thought it was just another name for women. "I got a ho in every state"...

And I also doubt Imus meant to imply that these women had loose morals.

And the fact that it's crystal CLEAR that these women have high moral standards makes the "upset" over his remarks all the more absurd. It's like calling Stephen Hawking stupid, which is absurd on the face of it.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by OBE1
Once again the issue of racial insensitivity is in the forefront of public awareness...we're talking about it...a good thing.

Not really. It would be far better if it were let go and the human race were to move on to a point where the color of light your skin reflects was completely irrelevant. And when old man Imus was using the term that is completely different when rappers use it, he was obviously trying to use it in the same manner, thinking it was the "cool" thing to say in the inner city when referring to black women, most of whom don't even have nappy hair anymore I might point out, it's usually straightened. He was obviously not calling them whores, why would he? He was trying to use an urban term, and it's being blown way out of proportion.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I would just like to point out that when black ppl, mainly rappers say ho, they are referring to girls that act like ho's and do ho things.

That may be their intention, but it doesn't come across that way. Essence Magazine has been running a series call "Take Back the Music" that highlights the problem of how rap and hip-hop portrays women.

We at ESSENCE have become increasingly concerned about the degrading ways in which Black women are portrayed and spoken about in popular media, particularly in popular urban music and music videos. Aware that these images may be having a negative impact on our children, we realized that, as Black women, it was up to us to take a stand.
Essence Magazine

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

We do not know how these "women" conduct themselves off the court...

Imus could've been right.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
We do not know how these "women" conduct themselves off the court...

Imus could've been right.

Well, let's hope that Imus can recant tales of these women being WHORES when they take his tired old, loose-lipped behind to court for libel!

Like I said before, while everyone is busy defending Imus, consider just for a moment how you would feel if it were your daughter...

Although this could be excused in America 100 years ago, I can only pray that this Imus broadcast cannot possibly be acceptable in today's America.

WHAT TYPE OF "CIVILIZATION" DO WE HAVE HERE IN AMERICA?

Could the divide between races be so wide that common sense has gone out the door?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Not really. It would be far better if it were let go and the human race were to move on to a point where the color of light your skin reflects was completely irrelevant.

That would be great, but problems aren't resolved simply by jumping over them...moving on means moving through...this requires acknowledgement, education, and dialog.

If issues of race were no longer a problem, we wouldn't be talking about them.

Peace &
Good Fortune
OBE1

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

That would be great, but problems aren't resolved simply by jumping over them...moving on means moving through...this requires acknowledgement, education, and dialog.

All those things do is put one group or the other on the defensive having to answer for things they had no part of, and furthers the divide even more. Racism is being dragged along with us as we advance as a species because we continue to dwell on the past, and focus on our differences. Sometimes jumping over something and not looking back, moving forward and trusting each other is the only way to heal the past that none of us had anything to do with.

If issues of race were no longer a problem, we wouldn't be talking about them.

Exactly my point, if we weren't always talking about them, they likely would no longer be a problem.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Like I said before, while everyone is busy defending Imus, consider just for a moment how you would feel if it were your daughter...

I have a daughter and she's been taught not to listen to what people might have to say about her...

I have a little saying I like to use from time to time...

"well if someone is talking about me, then they're leaving someone else alone"....

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join