It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imus on his knees begging

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Who cares if he in his stupidity and ignorance calls black woman nappy hoes, who cares, hes stupid, hes a moron, why get all offended?

I find, upon growing up with black people, that black people are real touchy. I mean you even use the word 'n-word' in a friendly way, like wassup my nigga, they will jump down your throat, yet they can call me cracker all they want, and when I say something about it, they jump down my throat!

Now not every single black person Ive been around is touchy like that, but alot of them are, lets face it.

Black people are very sensitive, as they should be, of white racism, but black racism, even against black people, seems to be ok with them, look at all the racism and degradation in rap lyrics...

I think its hypocritical to put that double standard on people. Yes Imus made an ignorant foolish comment against great people, no doubt he should face consequences, but seriously folks, we have a 1st ammendment right of free speech, which also happens to include the freedom to say stupid things.

2 weeks suspension and loss of donations and sponsors I think is suitable enough punishment, as well as having his image ruined. Seriously, I think its crazy to throw away a 40 year career over a comment made in haste, I really dont think Imus is racist against black people.

[edit on 10-4-2007 by LightWorker13]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Now I agree its wrong to make racist comments even comments that dont come from the heart, which I dont think it did with Imus. But seriously, why get all offended?

You know you are not a ho, you know you are respectable and decent and succesful, you know you are a great person, why get all offended? I give one word: ego.

Now seeing as most people have no clue what ego really is, lets explain. Ego is nothing more than what some people call "the inner child"... this is psychology 101 people, its not rocket science.

Now, a fully confident individual would not get offended at some ignorant remark about race, they would only get offended if A) they thought it could be true....or ....B) they know its not, but dont want people to think they are. And that, im afraid, stems from the ego.

What we are seeing unfold before us is nothing more than a clash of egos, really. Ego based comment, ego based reaction. The human race is run by the ego, and we get ego based conflict all the time.

These woman are not nappy hos, they know they are not, so why would they care? I wouldnt. I would laugh at Imus for being so ignorant, this is all real comical if you really think about it...

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmocow
This thread is ridiculous!!!!!! White people can be racist, so can black people.. Nappy SHOULDN'T be considered racist, and isnt racist. But if a dictionary says it is it is??? NOPE.

"Nappy" in itself is not racist. Nappy was used because they are Black Women that he was talking about. If I was in a conversation and called someone a "Redneck Bastard", I would be describing the bastard as a White bastard. This is the way racist words are used. Now, if I called someone a "Redneck Whore", then I would be saying that this White Person I am speaking of has loose morals, sleeps around, you know? So, Imus was implying that these young female athletes, the majority of them Black Women, are WHORES (nasty women); understand now?

But to just go labeling someone a racist by 3 words is ridiculous, you must look at that persons actions over time. What if you found out that he helps plenty of black children on his ranch over the years but because he said nappy he is now a racist??!! Get over it!!!!!!!!!!!11

So, do I understand you correctly? So, like, if your neighbor fed needy people who look like your daughter, then it's okay if he calls your daughter a WHORE on public TV? Are you allowed to get mad, even though he feeds needy people who look like your daughter? Should we tell you to just GET OVER IT????????? Does the situation change when it's YOUR DAUGHTER?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Do you think Imus is a racist? Do you think he really meant what he said, and secretly hates woman and black people??

So why get offended when he uses the word nappy....I agree its a stupid ignorant remark, the whole lot of it...but its even stupider in my view to create such an uproar, and get all offended at something you know is not true.

They know they are not nappy hoes, they know they are top athletes and students, why the outrage over some ignorant fools ignorant comment, I dont get it?

GET OVER IT. Its not that big a deal, he said it to try to be funny, he said it cuz he is ignorant and probably isnt too mature, but so what, who cares, people get offended at everything.

Ive personally heard Chris Rock say much more worse things about white people, in joking context, calling them pale faced crackers and calling white people "bleached", but dont see me getting all offended at that, I dont think Chris Rock is a racist. Hes a ignorant person who tries to be funny, same with Imus.

And what exactly is so racist about the word "nappy", there are white and black girls on the team, if anything what he says was sexist, not racist. Im sure he isnt racist, and people need to toughen up and stop crying cuz the idiotic class clown made fun of you....

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
My opinion there was no racial slur used at all. Here in the deep south we call ourselves rednecks. I like country music, I eat gator, and I own a pickup truck, yep I'm a redneck. And with that said if you saw me first thing in the morning you'd also agree I got some nappy hair till I comb it.

The only problem was calling them hoes, which also isn't a racial slur, its slang for prostitute, so if anything he should apologize for calling them all prostitutes and thats it. His remarks were sexist, but there was nothing racist about it.

And yea I know opinions are like ________ everyone's got one. So I know mine probably don't amount to a hill of beans but oh well. I shall go comb my nappy hair and as George Jones sings, I'm just a high tech redneck.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ikema
they are a bunch of thugs and they know it.

Thank you, Ikema, for adding new information to the thread.

You do have a source for that, don't you???

Well? We're waiting...

Originally posted by kleverone
You can't win money in a lawsuit if you aren't emotionaly scarred.

Is that also true for libel?

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And let's not forget where we first heard women referred to as "hos"...

Where we "first" heard it? Well, I'm watching Roots right now, on TVOne, and I would have to say, you are dreadfully mistaken.

Don't be so quick to deflect the blame from Imus, and really think about what you're saying.

Also, and I've been wanting to say this for a while because it keeps coming up: everything bad in this world cannot possibly be the result of rap, a musical genre dating back to the late 1970's. I mean, really.

Let Imus take responsibility for his own faux pas, without trying to pawn it off on someone else.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightWorker13
Ive personally heard Chris Rock say much more worse things about white people, in joking context, calling them pale faced crackers and calling white people "bleached", but dont see me getting all offended at that, I dont think Chris Rock is a racist. Hes a ignorant person who tries to be funny, same with Imus.

"Pale faced crackers"?..."bleached"?
Did Chris Rock call anyone WHORES? Did he impugn their reputation and dignity?

Why not take a look at these college athletes from a community college and tell me if they and their parents wouldn't mind if Imus or anyone else called them "STRINGY HAIRED HO'S" on a public broadcast watched by millions of Americans?

What are we becoming when we can defend such filth? Nothing in our Constitution defends libel.

[edit on 11-4-2007 by CSIfan]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   

I find, upon growing up with black people, that black people are real touchy. I mean you even use the word 'n-word' in a friendly way, like wassup my nigga, they will jump down your throat, yet they can call me cracker all they want, and when I say something about it, they jump down my throat!

White people know the rules of eNgagement, so to speak. They kow what we find offensive. I hate it when ppl are like 'but you guys say it' so what. You know its wrong so dont say it. PS not every body in the black community likes/ or says that word. and white people were not called cracker while they were being lyNched or enslaved for hundreds of years but what do i know

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Honestly, I don't understand how some people are NOT offended by Imus's remarks.

I mean...why is this joke of an old man even on the radio anymore? I'm not interested in "shock jocks," but seriously...if you're going to be shocking, can't you at least try to be entertaining?

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   

I understand how saying the n-word is racist. Sure. And actually, I think what he said this time was racist. Nappy-headed in itself is just descriptive. But add "hos" (something black people call themselves) and you've got a racial comment.

My question is So what? Are we supposed to stop people from making racial comments?

No but when someone has a history of saying racially charged comments and insensitive comments towards jewish people, then i say enough is enough. A suspension would have been good for his first infraction, but we are past that he should be fired

Be careful not to group us all together as having one opinion.

Sorry I was referring to the peole that were jumping on me, not everyone in general

Maybe we're just having a discussion, exploring different opinions and it's nothing about cultural differences. There are opinions all over the place here. There's no color or culture here. We're all just people.

I can understand that. But IMO your culture can have an effect (good/bad) on how you percieve things and therefore your opinions

Originally posted by Benevolent HereticI honestly do believe that I hear where you're coming from. I think it's ok to be offended. As someone said earlier, the word "hos" is a slur against all women (of which I am one) and I was offended by the comment. Not for me but for everyone on that team, every black woman and every woman.

But the reality is that people say these things. They have a right to say these things. We can't make them stop saying these things and we shouldn't. It's times like these that give us the opportunity for education.

I a black female, so i ws offended by the ho comment as well, but to me the nappy part hit harder. And i agree we cant really stop people from aying thngs, but people know that there are consequences for every action. Just like if you yell 'fire' in a public place

Originally posted by Benevolent HereticI don't think you are. This comment was clearly racial. If they were white women he wouldn't have said "Nappy headed hos". You're not crazy.

I wish you'd talk to me instead of the people who are doggin you. Do you have me on ignore? Have you seen the questions I asked?

Thank-you for saying that. Some people wo have posted keep saying that it wasnt a racial comment at all, and those are the people iwas responding to. BUT i do not have you on ignore, i was actually skimming the posts, so sorry that i wasnt aswering your questions. But i am happy to have a civilized conversation with you

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I never said anything against the students, I know who they are, dont need to show me pictures...I know these kids are valedictorian, I know these kids are good at basketball, I love basketball, won championships balling in High School, hung around with blacks most of my childhood, I totally empathize with these girls...

But come on, you guys are purposefully trying to make Imus seem worse than he is.

By the way, he never used the word whore, he said ho, which is a word Im hearing right now listening to Ludacris ok....along with bitch, slut, and a whole slew of other words, Ludacris makes fun of fat people, poor people, ugly people....its actually rather discusting...wheres the uproar???

Chris Rock makes racist remarks but thats okay...cuz its in the context of joking...which by the way, is how Imus was putting it, he was trying to be funny....he was stupid, but he was trying to be funny...who cares? Chris Rock was trying to be funny, he wasnt tryin to be racist. Imus was tryin to be funny, he wasnt trying to be racist.

I think we really have to look at the intent of an individual before we rush to judge and condemn them. Did he intend to offend? Did he intend to be racist? Or did he intend to try to think of something on the spot that would sound funny but only backfired on him? I would suggest the ladder...

I mean people here are making it seem like Imus is a complete racist who would lynch a black woman if he had the chance...

Plus, hes been allowed to spew his stupid sense of humour on his show, to the horror of many groups who get offended easily, because he targets everyone with his quirks, not just blacks. Why do they let him do it? Arent they accountable too? The media owners?

Grow some backbones, and complain about real racism, like the fact that thousands of African American votes were thrown out in Florida to scam George W into power!

[edit on 11-4-2007 by LightWorker13]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Having read the posts on this thread, it's my impression that the majority come from the POV of non-African Americans. Even as enlightened, attuned, and well informed as most of ATS'ers are...the ability to make accurate cross-cultural interpretations would be a rare gift. Race may be the ultimate subjective experience, and if nothing else, I believe the Simpson trial should be seen as a stark lesson in perception.

In the most general sense, the Imus remarks, though in keeping with his persona, and that of his show...were simply out of line...maybe even leakage as some believe. Since I speak from the perspective of a Caucasian male...I can only speculate on how African-American America (the PC does get a little cumbersome lol!) would perceive his comments...maybe it's best if I try to listen, and simply accept the words of the offended parties themselves.

It may seem a cop-out to some, but even with my advanced years, I don't feel qualified to offer an unbiased opinion on whether Don Imus should stay, or go...so I won't try.

I used to be in business, and several years back, my employees and I participated in the finishing phases of the 'Main Hacienda' at the Imus Ranch here in N.M. Our part of the project ran on, and off for approximately five months...winter into spring. During that time, I met, and interacted with Don, but I actually spent more time with his wife Dierdre (sweet person), as she was intimately involved in of most the decisions regarding detail, and finishes. I have to admit, the consensus around the ranch, the one that I was privy to anyway, was that he was a blunt, and crusty kind of guy...no surprises there I guess.

What struck me most about him, was the loaded six-shooter he wore on his hip, from sun-up...to sundown, even in town. Couple that with his somewhat callous, and stern demeanor, and you can appreciate that he was a bit intimidating to do business with.

FWIW....

Peace &
Good Fortune
OBE1

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Well, it appears that the stuff has hit the fan for Imus, and rightly so. Companies are "PULLING OUT"! I found a link for Procter & Gamble and Staples, but I understand that Target AND Costco have already PULLED OUT ON IMUS!

I guess the jig(gaboo) is up!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Companies including Procter & Gamble Co. and Staples Inc. are pulling advertisements from Don Imus' show due to the shock jock's on-air racial slur about the Rutgers University women's basketball team.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
You know, now I know why there is such a hoopla about this, mostly stemming from our media, who has reported on this small story all day while shutting up about important ones...

They overfocus on stories like this for a simple reason.

To keep people focused on all the tiny little things that divide us. I mean all the fricken time on the media its the same thing: sexism here, racism there, is it right to be gay? Or this is one of my favourites...why do kids at school sit with members of their own "race" more than with other "races"? Paula Zahn did a huge special on it for CNN.

What the hell is that? I mean Paula Zahn every single day talks about subjects that only serve to increase peoples awareness of each others differences, exactly what we dont need right now during this time of awakening...

And then people watch it and go, "oh yea look we are all different colors and races" most people arent even really aware of it until its mentioned to them, they are like "oh yea you are black and I am white". "Maybe shes right, maybe I am practicing a mild form of racism by hanging with more whites than blacks in the lunchroom..."

I really dont think the vast majority of people take things like race and color and religion seriously. What I mean by that is I wont judge someone based on a prejudice I have about their physical circumstances, I see beyond that, we are all souls in human bodies, and I think we all agree on that.

The Creator creates us different to express his diversity and our greatness, but our loving handlers who control government and media want to twist that fact to make us fight and conflict with each other. They are probably all laughing at us from up in their dirty ivory towers...

I mean we humans are so much more similar than we are different! Its just, thanks to preconditioning, media and the rest of it, we humans are always pressured into focusing only on what divides us, not what unites us. The powers that be want to divide and rule.

And unfortunately, comments like what you said Mr. Imus dont help at all, the media uproar doesnt help, us coming up here on ATS and arguing about whether Imus is a bad guy doesnt help either.

United we stand, divided we fall, and I think its clear to anyone who can see whats happening to America today, that if something doesnt change soon, America is gonna fall...

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Moderators...I'm gonna request an edit on CSIfan's attempt at humor...if he dosen't come around to it himself. Thanks....

Peace &
Good Fortune
OBE1

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   

What the hell is that? I mean Paula Zahn every single day talks about subjects that only serve to increase peoples awareness of each others differences, exactly what we dont need right now during this time of awakening...

Paula Zahn's show is news coverage of things people don't speak much about; some don't even want to think about it, but racism is rampant in this country, it pervades every level of government and class of people...maybe it's an ugly secret best kept, huh?

Exactly what "time of awakening" do you speak of? Please answer me, I want to know about the time of awakening.

And then people watch it and go, "oh yea look we are all different colors and races" most people arent even really aware of it until its mentioned to them, they are like "oh yea you are black and I am white". "

I can't believe you just said that!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
He called them "nappy headed hos".

Jigaboos?? That's an old school term right there. Haven't heard it in awhile.

Peace

when I heard about this the first thing I remember was a thread on ATS, about how the media is supressing black on white violence, and emphasizing white on black violence. Something about the motives of the media.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by OBE1
Moderators...I'm gonna request an edit on CSIfan's attempt at humor...if he dosen't come around to it himself. Thanks....

Peace &
Good Fortune
OBE1

I second that...It wasnt funny in my opinion

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OBE1

OBE1 and IMPLIED,

So sorry you didn't appreciate my sense of humor when I wrote that the "jig(gaboo) was up" for Imus (in that he is beginning to lose his advertisers).

That is what you were referring to, wasn't it? I just wand to be sure that this is what you referenced, because you did not quote me.

Well, "THE JIG IS UP" is a well known expression...

Jig is up, the

Meaning: You are caught, you are discovered, the deception is uncovered.
Example: The jig is up for Lisa. Her boss caught her doing work on company time instead of browsing joe-ks.com.

www.joe-ks.com...

...and I absolutely loved the way it "flowed" in perfectly in my post, especially since the word (jiggaboo) was also part of the thread.

And NO, I am not going to edit it. If it is edited, it will be by the Moderators, not me.

If only you could have seen how hysterically delighted I was when I typed it, how perfectly it fit...oh, what joy! NO, I won't edit it. Report me.

Just between you and me, the word "jiggaboo" should be used for something like this (you know, making a boo boo), and NOT TO DESCRIBE A PERSON OR RACE.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Thats what you think a jigaboo SHOULD mean? but guess what thats not what it means. But whatever,I didnt find you attempt at humor successful. And since you dont seem to care, there is nothing more for me to say

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join