It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imus on his knees begging

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
nappy does not = rude. nappy = racist. Nappy is a term used to refer to the type of hair black people have.

he looks like and is a true redneck.

O Snap! You just used a derogatory term of speech that refers specifically to white people. I guess this only works one-way.

I would defend your position if he was actually using racist tems but he was just being more insulting than anything. When the "Race Card" is played every time people just get tired of seeing it.

Al Sharpton, the great race expert who likes to say things like "white interloper" and "bloodsucking Jews"*. It must be fantastic for black Americans to have him as a spokesperson.

*Wall Street Journal - source

[edit on 10-4-2007 by dbates]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Before you comment i would suggest that you read my other post/replies which show what the definition of redneck is, what the term nappy means and the fact that it is a racially biased word, and the post where i showed the examples of Imus saying othe racist things such as the n-word.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
IT WAS A JOKE..... bottom line.... it was funny, I laughed my butt off.

EVERYONE and I mean everyone knows he wasn't trying to be racist.

Imus is very funny, he always has been and yes he is edgy, but my goodness people, let it go already.

This is just another opportunity for Sharpton and Jackson to get their names in the news and get in front of a camera. ooops was that racist of me...

DING!

Those two are a lot more racist than Imus, but in this day and age, you can only be racist if you are white.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Al Sharpton, the great race expert who likes to say things like "white interloper" and "bloodsucking Jews"*. It must fantastic for black Americans to have him as a spokesperson.

*Wall Street Journal - source

Most blacks actually dont like al sharpton b/c we know that he tends to exploit situation for publicity, but he is one of the few 'spokesperson's we have, but he does not speak for the entire or most of the black community.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Does anyone remember the movie Barber Shop 2. It's a fairly recent movie from 2004. The main plot of the movie was the competition from the barber shop called

Nappy Cutz

. If "nappy" is such an offensive term, how did it make it as the focal point of a PG-13 movie? They must have said the world "nappy" in the movie 100 times yet I never heard calls for Queen Latifah or Ice Cube to quite making movies due to the shocking racism.

Here's a fantastic song by "Nappy Roots". Again do we hear "racism" or "Grammy nominee"?

2002 MTV Video Music Award nomination
2003 American Music Award nominations
2003 Grammy Award nominations

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
There's a band called "Nappy Roots"

(dbates beat me to it)

A Nappy Hair Affair

And like I said about rap music... Missy Elliot calls hersolf a "crazy ho".

Why is it different when a white man says it?

Really. It's a real question and I'd love the answer.

[edit on 10-4-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This what I said in another post about Imus

.It depends on how you say it. For example if your talking with your friend and he/she says "your stupid" in a joking/friendly manner. You prob. wont be offended. But If some one else you dont know says 'Your stupid' . You are going to be like what the hell, and be quite upset. Its the intent. He knew better. My friends and I have said "nappy headed" in joking manner, it offends no one. But if I run up to another black female and say 'you have nappy hair' it's going to be a problem.

But you what, I guess I shouldnt really expect yall to understand that. I stand by every single statement I have made, and I have tried to explain to you that what he said was racist (surprisingly noone wanted to talk about the example i posted when he used the n-word) and what I said wasnt. But you guys still dont get it., maybe its a difference of cultures/opinions whatever. But I just dont understand why some of you dont understand where i am coming from

Let me reiterate if this had been the 1 and only time he said something in a prejudical manner then suspension would be fin and he shouldnt be fired. He as a history of saying things. But whatever. Im crazy and I'm playing the 'race card'

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

.It depends on how you say it. For example if your talking with your friend and he/she says "your stupid" in a joking/friendly manner. You prob. wont be offended. But If some one else you dont know says 'Your stupid' . You are going to be like what the hell, and be quite upset. Its the intent.

Agreed, but this isn't the only time Imus or anyone else on radio has said something derogatory about someone else. Is this time special because the insult only applies to a specific race? As I mentioned, redneck is a derogatory comment that's race specific as well. Sure you can jokingly use it with your friends, but it can also be used hatefully.

If we suppressed every public occurrence of someone using a remark that some find racist, then the real issues are pushed into the closet because no one feel comfortable talking about them. Look at the O.J. Simpson trial. During his trial, lawyers would ask police if they said "the N-word". I found this unacceptable. It was as if the word was so unbearable it couldn't be uttered in an official setting under the most professional terms. That is asking someone if they said that word.

Meanwhile the same word is marketed, shrink-wrapped and sold to the masses via N.W.A. and pretty much every other popular hip-hop and rap artist. It's one of Snoop's favorite words. Either the word is acceptable or it's not. I don't care, I just wish someone would pick a side and give an official opinion on the matter. The black community can not expect to have a word censored if they use it in common every-day speech. Where do you think Imus learned the world nappy from? It's not something that white people go around saying at home or on the job. It's not in any music that pushed to the white community. He learned the proper use of the word, that is making fun of someone's hair, from the black community.

This entire scenario is the same as griping about your kids cussing or smoking while you do the same. Despite what you see, it is the exact problem. If the black community finds these words unacceptable and hateful then they need to address the source of the problem. That is the black community. Stop promoting, glorifying, and using these words in songs, and every-day speech if you find it unacceptable. (I'm not saying that you specifically use the words.)

In the future, when someone say "the N-Word" we will need to clarify which n word they are talking about. Nappy or the other one.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I have tried to explain to you that what he said was racist (surprisingly noone wanted to talk about the example i posted when he used the n-word)

I understand how saying the n-word is racist. Sure. And actually, I think what he said this time was racist. Nappy-headed in itself is just descriptive. But add "hos" (something black people call themselves) and you've got a racial comment.

My question is So what? Are we supposed to stop people from making racial comments?

I'm not sure very many of us think what Imus said wasn't racist. It would be hard to say that. It's clear to me that it's a racial thing, for sure.

But you guys still dont get it.

Be careful not to group us all together as having one opinion.

maybe its a difference of cultures/opinions whatever.

Maybe we're just having a discussion, exploring different opinions and it's nothing about cultural differences. There are opinions all over the place here. There's no color or culture here. We're all just people.

But I just dont understand why some of you dont understand where i am coming from

I honestly do believe that I hear where you're coming from. I think it's ok to be offended. As someone said earlier, the word "hos" is a slur against all women (of which I am one) and I was offended by the comment. Not for me but for everyone on that team, every black woman and every woman.

But the reality is that people say these things. They have a right to say these things. We can't make them stop saying these things and we shouldn't. It's times like these that give us the opportunity for education.

Im crazy and I'm playing the 'race card'

I don't think you are. This comment was clearly racial. If they were white women he wouldn't have said "Nappy headed hos". You're not crazy.

I wish you'd talk to me instead of the people who are doggin you. Do you have me on ignore? Have you seen the questions I asked?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
If they were white women he wouldn't have said "Nappy headed hos".

I saw a picture of the team on FOX News online and I could have sworn that I saw white women on the team along with black women. Did I miss-see it??

Anyone have a picture of the team??

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I agree with dbates, except I don't think anybody can decide to try and eliminate the word, because then people will use it more and it's shock value will only increase, which is the point of using it anyway. If people want it to go away, it must be ignored like a child who throws a tantrum, but I doubt that'll happen because as even impliedchaos said, people say racist things when they are angered by somebody of a different race. It's the most obvious and available difference to attack when your angry, since you don't know anything else about that person you can verbally attack. And it doesn't just go for race, if a fat person pisses you off, you go after their weight, we just attack differences, but when people stop giving a crap what insignificant others say about them, I suspect these things will lose meaning and fade away, oh well. Kramer was provoked when he said racist things, so according to impliedchaos, that was understandable, right?

And as an aside, I have some nappy headed white friends, with dreads and super curly hair, I call them nappy headed all the time, cuz they are some nappy headed mofos, lol.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
There were 2 white women.

As I listened to the original Imus comment, I got the feeling that he was actually quite impressed and a little intimidated by the Rutgers team.

IMUS: That's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos and --

McGUIRK: Some hard-core hos.

IMUS: That's some nappy-headed hos there. I'm gonna tell you that now, man, that's some -- woo. And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you know, so, like -- kinda like -- I don't know.
Source

He was talking about how "cute" the Tennessee girls were as opposed to how tough the Rutgers girls looked.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Anyone have a picture of the team??

Mostly black women so I'm sure that Imus knew what he was saying. The term "Ho's" was actully the more offensive term. I know exactly what this word is because I occasionally listen to hip-hop. You don't learn this kind of language from the white community. Still, *gasp* a white person used a word that's popular in the black community. What will we do?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Imus should not be fired.
He should be ignored. Ratings set the advertising rates.
There are plenty of other sources of "entertainment".

I would boycott his show, but I can't. At least not any more than I already do.
I think, in my lifetime, I may have listened/watched him for a total of 5 minutes.
He's not funny, informative, or clever, IMO.

Last I checked, we're all made out of the same stuff.
I wish we could learn to laugh off the "insults" that are only here to divide us.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This is what I have been saying about words lately.

What you say may be taken one way by one person and another way by another person.

It seems every word you use is being marked like you are in language class and you have to say everything exactly correct or you fail.

Slowly free speech will go and another freedom will be taken form us.

It amazes me how people just watch and listen so tey can destroy another. I don't care for Imus so I don't watch/listen to him he is not my cup of tea. I also am not thrilled with Al Sharpton who thinks he sits on a pedastool.

Imus apologized and seemed to truly mean it, so enough is enough. In Politics they do it all the time and how about comedians.

Shame on people

Ex

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

[edit on 4/10/2007 by Ex]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This thread is ridiculous!!!!!! White people can be racist, so can black people.. Nappy SHOULDN'T be considered racist, and isnt racist. But if a dictionary says it is it is??? NOPE.

I have heard plenty of sentences with the word nappy in it i they are not racist. Sure words can offend people, but to label someone a racist because it offended you is incorrect. People take things different ways. But to just go labeling someone a racist by 3 words is ridiculous, you must look at that persons actions over time. What if you found out that he helps plenty of black children on his ranch over the years but because he said nappy he is now a racist??!! Get over it!!!!!!!!!!!11

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Finally a big liberal is getting crucified over a crude comment!

Then he had the nerve to explain to people he is not a "right wing conservative radio host." What a loser!

Shame on the Rutgers basketball program. If they had any dignity, they would have ignored this. Are they going to cry everytime someone has something bad to say about them? Grow up!

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Are they going to cry everytime someone has something bad to say about them? Grow up!

Probably. This is the direction our once great country is heading and there is not a blasted thing we can do about it. Why is everyone so easily offended these days? If everyone that said something offensive was fired or suspended, the entire country would be unemployed! Anything you say can be offensive to somebody or some group of people. For all of you easily offended people...get over yourselves.

We are slowly losing our freedom of speech people. I don't recall the constitution saying freedom of speech (as long as it doesn't offend people). How rediculous would it be if every time someone said something bad about the military I called for their their resignation? Well, I don't...I am mature enough and realize that it is their constitutional right as an American to think and say whatever they want.

Madness I tell you...

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
There's nothing wrong with the words he said. I used "nappy" in a post yesterday talking about a black girl. The words are used by black people. Many rap lyrics refer to women as "hos". But when someone who's not black says it, all of a sudden we have a national case. Why do we treat a segment of society differently than another as far as words they can say publicly?

Nothing wrong with what he said? Really?
Okay, let's just take a look at what he said..."Nappy Headed" (that's a Black Woman's attribute) and "Hoe's" (that's a short form for WHORE), so, in this phrase, Imus has said that the Black Women on Rutgers' team are WHORES, you know, women of low morals, whores, ill repute, sleeping around and all...

Now, I seem to recall that FREEDOM OF SPEECH does notinsure a person the right to LIBEL, does it? Can I go on TV and say that someone is a WHORE? Would that be okay? And, if that person gets angry, and publicly denounces what I have stated, does that mean that that person has given me her "power"? Such a silly concept!

Where is the FCC? And where is the FCC when it comes to censoring Rap singers also? Certain Rappers should have been censored 10 years ago! Such nasty talk!

And, how on Earth can people think that because Rappers can sing about "Hoes" on a CD, that this silly topic can be brought into a conversation about a publicly broadcast PROGRAM ON TV that actually labels a team of young, female, college athletes as WHORES?

What Rappers do, and get away, with has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT IMUS SAYS ABOUT THESE YOUNG FEMALE ATHLETES. It doesn't make it right, just because some Rapper (Black or White), says "Hoe" in his song...unless these young female athletes, specifically, have personally approved all rap songs, and the songs are written about them!

Those grasping for a straw to defend Imus and his nasty language to describe these young women really appear insensitive; I would like to see their reaction if something like this happened to their daughters.

Most times, when a man labels a woman a WHORE, at least he should know her!

And, please don't call her that in front of her Father or Brothers! You can get your ass kicked!

Imus should be fired, for sure. He and his supporters in this are beneath contempt, thinking that something like this is acceptable in our Society.

[edit on 10-4-2007 by CSIfan]

[edit on 10-4-2007 by CSIfan]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join