It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imus on his knees begging

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
this just in

MSNBC "postpones don imus show for two weeks"

www.msnbc.msn.com...

GOOD CALL

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
this just in.... my hair is nappy

L A w L

I saw this on this news.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
but is you a ho?

I guess if MSNBC wants to punish him, that's one thing. I bet they got a lot of flack from viewers and listeners.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
What does this have to do with 9/11 again???

Anyway, he just needs to go to the same rehab center they sent Michael Richards to and all will be forgiven.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos

This is the first time in my life i heard a white person say nappy-headed. And then everybody in that room was laughing. Im also mad that imus has the nerve to bring up that ranch he has for kids w/ cancer as if that gives him a pass to say racist things.He also has a history of saying inappropriate things. But whatever he looks like and is a true redneck.All i know is that is i saw him in the street, it wouldnt be pretty.

You know it's kind of hard to take you seriously about a racism issue when you use words like "redneck" to describe someone. What if that word offends me? Should I just get over it? I smell a double standard...

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrepareForTheWorst

You know it's kind of hard to take you seriously about a racism issue when you use words like "redneck" to describe someone. What if that word offends me? Should I just get over it? I smell a double standard...

Redneck is someone who is a racist. I know peopole who are racist and regard themselves as redneck. Where I'm from Its pretty clear on both sides of the issue what constitutes a redneck. Im not just talking about country or hillbilly-type people in general. So if Imus acts in a manner in which he can put in the category of a racist/redneck then so be it. It shouldn't offend you personally unless you regard yourslf as a redneck and if you do then please refer to the first sentence.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Redneck is someone who is a racist. I know peopole who are racist and regard themselves as redneck. Where I'm from Its pretty clear on both sides of the issue what constitutes a redneck. Im not just talking about country or hillbilly-type people in general. So if Imus acts in a manner in which he can put in the category of a racist/redneck then so be it. It shouldn't offend you personally unless you regard yourslf as a redneck and if you do then please refer to the first sentence.

Wow. I know humans who think they are Jesus Christ...does that make them Jesus? No. Just because you have some friend who is racist and considers him/herself a redneck doesn't hold any water. Redneck Def.

There is not a word on this earth that you could hurl at me that would cause me to lose any sleep so don't even board that train.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Actually the term 'redneck' originally had nothing to do with hillbilllys or the like. It originated as a term for farmers who spent there days in the sun, hunkered over, planting and plowing fields, gaining a sunburned neck. - redneck

It was used as a derogatory term by the industrial revolutionists and expanded to include all formally uneducated walks of people.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Uh, this seems like a good time to point out that generalizing 'rednecks' as racist is no better behavior than referring to some people as 'nappy headed...'

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   

red·neck /ˈrɛdˌnɛk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[red-nek] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation Informal: Often Disparaging.
–noun
1. an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South.
2. a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.
–adjective
3. Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude
Dictionary

Wikipedia is not accurate.I am using definitions 2 and 3. I was not calling you a redneck. I said if you regard yourself as a redneck then refer to the definition and re-evalute yourself. Sure there are exceptions to every rule You could be the ecxeption (if you refer to yourself as such). I dont not have any redneck friends for obvious reasons, but throughout my lifetime, all of the rednecks i have encountered down here, follow definitions 2 and 3 and are bigots/prejudiced

[edit on 4/9/2007 by ImpliedChaos]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
Uh, this seems like a good time to point out that generalizing 'rednecks' as racist is no better behavior than referring to some people as 'nappy headed...'

My point exactly. See above post.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Wikipedia is not accurate.I am using definitions 2 and 3. I was not calling you a redneck. I said if you regard yourself as a redneck then refer to the definition and re-evalute yourself. Sure there are exceptions to every rule You could be the ecxeption (if you refer to yourself as such). I dont not have any redneck friends for obvious reasons, but throughout my lifetime, all of the rednecks i have encountered down here, follow definitions 2 and 3 and are bigots/prejudiced

I see your point but we are going to have to agree to disagree. There ARE exceptions to every rule and this is exactly why it is so dumb to stereotype people. I myself am not a redneck or any other term. I am not a democrat or republican or any other label. I am myself...a human being. I refuse to be labeled by society...it just doesn't make any sense.

What I fail to understand is why it is okay for you to call someone a redneck but if someone calls you a derogatory name it is all of a sudden headline news and heads should roll? Please educate me because I am drawing a blank.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
i dont see why people are jumping on me.
He called those girls "nappy headed hos"as an insult, they did nothing to him.

I call him a redneck because he fits the exact definition of one and it is a synonym of bigot/prejudiced, and because of that I'm placed in the same category as Imus.
I can understand if I called him a redneck just because he was a white southerner or ( a called him the c-word)or something crazy like that but i did not. He is a bigot=racist. What i said about him and what he said about those girls is in no way the same category. Please help me understand why you feel it is so b/c i dont get it.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I can understand if I called him a redneck just because he was a white southerner or something crazy like that but i did not. He is a bigot=racist. What i said about him and what he said about those girls is in no way the same category.

I am definitely not placing you in the same category as IMUS. From what I have seen of you so far you are much more civil. If it came across that way, that is not how it was meant.

There is no excuse for what he said...period. It was dumb. People can do stupid things, and they do. But I also believe that one slip up does not make someone a racist. Can you honestly say that you have never said anything derogatory towards someone of another race/religion? By your standards it would make you a racist if you ever have.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If was the only time he's said something like this Iwould understand, and i would think he was just ignorant, and not nessarily a racist but he has said racist things before.

Nobile also noted Imus admitted to 60 Minutes that producer Bernard McGurk was brought on "to do n***** jokes," called Washington Post media critic Howard Kurtz a "boner-nosed Jewboy," called Patrick Ewing "the missing link," Shaquille O'Neal "a car-jacker in shorts," and the Knicks "chest-bumping
pimps."
External Source

and he also referred to a black journalist as the 'cleaning lady'. I'm just curious what will be last straw before he gets fired?

BTW thanx for clearing that up i thought your putting us in the same catgory.
And yes i have probabably in my life said derrogatory things toward people of another race. But it wasnt a habit.Like it is with Imus.And i only did it when i was provoked.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   

i dont see why people are jumping on me.
He called those girls "nappy headed hos"as an insult, they did nothing to him.

I don't think anyone is jumping on you. Just making a point. There's no need for jumping on anyone.

The term Redneck has taken on a new meaning in the past few years, made especially popular by comedian Jeff Foxworthy.

In one of his stand-up routines, Foxworthy summed up the condition as "a glorious absence of sophistication." Foxworthy also rejected the misconception that a redneck has to be a Southerner, saying "A lot of people think you have to talk like this"(meaning his Georgia accent) "to be a redneck. That is not true. I've been all over this country, there's rednecks in every single state."
Georgia professor James C. Cobb, "Now, feeling relatively secure and closer to the mainstream, they rebel against acting respectable, embracing this counterculture hero—the 'redneck' who is what he is, and doesn't give a damn what anybody thinks."

The point is that IMUS made a racist remark. He may or may not be a redneck, and if he is, he probably has his own definition for it. I think Websters' is kind of narrow.

I understand where you're coming from Chaos, I just think there are a lot of definitions for the word Redneck.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
He made his bed, and now he has to lie in it (this will not end his career, it's a small bump compared to the payola scandal and his addiction problems). What I don't understand is the free pass that Howard Stern gets (I'm talking about his pre-Sirius days). He would (or his guests would) regularly drob "N bombs" and the supposition is that as long as Robin laughs, it is O.K.

That's crap.

This site chronicles Howards on air misdeeds, and I must warn anyone viewing the website that it contains objectionable material:

www.west.net...

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I didnt know that Stern uses the N-word. I hate the factthat he thinks its ok b/c he has the token black girl laughing with him. That does not make it right. And Robin .....Im not even going to begin with her. She should have set him straight the first time he said it. But she obviously doesnt care. I never really watched Stern, but i always thought he was a decent guy.Guess I was wrong

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Annestacey made a good point above, about thickening one's skin.

Howard Stern is broadcast after hours, Imus and his buddy's remarks were made during prime time.

But this thread is not about Howard, right Mirthful?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

You have voted annestacey for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I don't agree with what was said on the show, obviously. I think it's rude, racist and sexist. But I don't think IMUS should be punished for having a foul and bigoted sense of humor.

Political Correctness edging toward infringement of Free Speech is a concern here.

We can't legislate feelings. Believe it or not, it's legal to be racist. I urge people to write to him and let him know how stupid you think he is. Let him know you won't be listening to him anymore. But for him to lose his job (or other punishment) is just going to send him into the closet.

You have voted Benevolent Heretic for the Way Above Top Secret award.

Now it's your turn BH to get the WATS vote. I couldn't agree with you more that this reaction to Imus is the symptom of a big political correctness problem sweeping the country. You can't legislate feelings, but there seems to be a bunch of people trying hard to do just that. And judging from the posts on this thread, a bunch of people ready to agree with having PC censorship imposed on all of us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join