It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imus on his knees begging

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
Good for you.

I know.

Good for you.

I know.

I'll pass. It's not that important to me to read again.

I bet it's not.

I don't care if you thought I was singling you out. Too bad for you. You mad? Go punch a wall or something.

Nah, I don't think you were singling me out, just my race. But I don't think it's too bad for me, I don't really care, just like you. Like I said, I'm not gonna try that hard. And I hope you don't really think I'm mad enough to punch a wall. Why would I do that? What did the wall do to me? I know, maybe I'll blame the wall because my ancestors may have run into ancient walls long ago....that makes perfect sense.

Too bad.

Not really.

No we shouldn't. We should not have to work as hard as those who set up and perpetuated this race-based system.

You're right, so as soon as you are able to speak with the dead, make sure you tell them to get right on that, k?

Nope.

Too bad.

I think not. What I think about race is IRRELEVANT if people with more power than I have think otherwise. IOW, the fact that I think we are all equal representatives of Homo sapiens means spit if said person believes that some races are inferior to others.

Okay, so now you're blaming me for "the man" huh? Little secret you may not know, the man couldn't give a crap about us both equally. So hey, we're equal after all, "said person" believes those who are not rich and powerful are inferior, and like to keep us divided so we don't figure that out, so let's keep fighting over skin color, just like they want us to. Great way to stick it to em, eh?

It just doesn't matter, simple and plain. Just like what you think of my understanding of the quote in sig just doesn't matter.

Guess you're right. Doesn't matter.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
Okay, so now you're blaming me for "the man" huh?

Nope. If you take it that way, I don't give a damn.

Little secret you may not know, the man couldn't give a crap about us both equally. So hey, we're equal after all, "said person" believes those who are not rich and powerful are inferior, and like to keep us divided so we don't figure that out, so let's keep fighting over skin color, just like they want us to. Great way to stick it to em, eh?

I'm fully aware of the shell game the elite is playing with us. Nobody wants to talk about that, though. So I'll stick with something people have plenty to say about, race. If I end up in a concentration camp with non-black people, I'll run my mouth about the shell game. Of course, it will be too late then, but at least we won't be talking about race.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
Nope. If you take it that way, I don't give a damn.

Cool. I'm over it too.

I'm fully aware of the shell game the elite is playing with us.

Yet you play right along.

Nobody wants to talk about that, though.

Really? You are aware you are on a website that is FULL of people who want to talk about that, aren't you?

Of course, it will be too late then, but at least we won't be talking about race.

At least something good will come of it.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Seems it went a little off topic?

The point is he appologised, the young woman accepted the appology and they are more or less squared, so let's not use this to start the thread off on the wrong foot again.

Just a thought. Although what is being discussed is important and continues to be, or else all the threads would not go that route.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Yeah, little bit. Sorry bout that all, it's just a heated topic I guess. Some people are just so quick to say everything is the fault of white people, when there were many white people who helped the civil rights movement and many white people who gave their lives to free slaves.

I'll drop it though, back to Imus.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn
What is wrong with all of you guilty, white phonies?

That's a very straaaaaaaaaange thing to say.

Sorry, actually you're a little more real then the white people I was referring to. I just get so angry at these eggshell-walking, white, liberal phony balonies that are all for equality...
except when it comes to speech.
Big brother comes in many forms. I know lots of liberal people that love to trash religion and love hearing awful religious jokes in the media, but when it comes to poking fun at black people, they turn into apologetic frauds.
"Oh, that's insensitive." Yeah, is it? But those Christian jokes were just fine, right?

So how about all of the black entertainers that use racial material, either directed at blacks or whites?

Valid point. I don't like them either and even though there is free speech in this country, I don't think they should be on the airwaves - not through censorship but through public pressure. If people want to pay to see them in a theatre or buy their CDs/DVDs .. that's fine. But I'd rather not see them on the airwaves and I'd looooooove to see public pressure to get them off.

That's where we should agree to disagree. I love racial material, religious material, mamma jokes directed at MY momma, etc. As long as it's not violating the FCC obscenity laws I'm okay. Perhaps there should be a line, but I just don't think so. I guess it's because I'm late for the gym and really don't have time to put much thought into the subject.

I DO think that Don's firing is WAY OVER THE LINE. Instead, they should have hired an extra dump-guy to handle insensitive dumps and taken the money for his salary out of Imus's pay.

if you think Imus is a racist

Actually, I don't. He LOVES Harold Ford Junior (so do I). If he were racist, he wouldn't. IMHO Imus is a loud mouthed IDIOT. He's an equal opportunity basher ... bashing blacks, jews, homosexuals, catholics, etc etc ... eveyrone.

Exactly, he's a loud mouthed idiot, and I feel that should be allowed. If your toaster shot toast into your eye every morning, you wouldn't use it. So if a radio station offends you, you shouldn't listen. Let capitalism decide what is and is not on the air.

And, Imus's charity work doesn't discriminate, imagine that?
You'd figure that if he were a racist he wouldn't let little black children participate, but that's not the case.

You know what, I don't listen to Imus to it really doesn't matter to me, but I still think that his firing is wrong. Why not send him to rehab or something?
And perhaps it's that Imus's position is a more respectable one. Opie and Anthony, and Howard Stern, say worse things on a daily basis, but no one seems to care.

Whatever, maybe a few years of politically correct, sissy behavior from the media will put the final nail in the coffin of network television and terrestrial radio.

Although normally I'm pretty liberal (if not tinfoil-hat wearing insane), but this situation is repugnant. I hope all of you goofy white liberals enjoy the sissified bed you've made for yourselves. I hope all of you black people enjoy the mockery of the civil rights movement that ol' greasy head and south park eyes are perpetrating. I'll be enjoying my more expensive, uncensored forms of entertainment. I'll also be blowing innocent people's heads off in my violent video games.

one love

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And there will be no apology. Not to the Duke boys and not to Steven Pagones. It's not going to happen.

BH, did you see my last post? I specifically addressed the Pagones issue, and gave you a link. Did you see it? Sharpton, and the two other lawyers charged, were ordered by a court to pay $345, 000. That's a very expensive "sorry", I would think. At least Imus didn't have to pay up.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
BH, did you see my last post? I specifically addressed the Pagones issue, and gave you a link. Did you see it?

Yes and yes. Maybe I wasn't clear. Sharpton didn't apologize. Being ordered to pay a sum of money and doing so is very different than offering an apology. By law, he HAD to pay money. That's more to obey the law than an act of contrition. As far as I know, he didn't SAY, "I'm sorry" (in other words, "I take responsibility for the wrong that I did and I feel remorseful about it") to the people he hurt.

At least Imus didn't have to pay up.

You don't think losing his job is making him "pay up"? I do. He lost his livelihood. And he ALSO verbally apologized to the people he hurt in a 3-hour meeting with them. And they accepted it.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Sharpton, and the two other lawyers charged, were ordered by a court to pay $345, 000.

That's great .. if he pays. Sharpton has had some trouble paying what he owes on things. I remember him having very shakey financial matters with campaign money, etc etc.

I'll have to google around and see if I can come up with it ... or perhaps I shouldn't since this is an IMUS thread and not a Sharpton thread.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn
Imus's charity work doesn't discriminate, imagine that? You'd figure that if he were a racist he wouldn't let little black children participate, but that's not the case.

www.foxnews.com...

No, it doesn't discriminate. This is a story about it that came out today. AND it seems that some are worried that it's in jeapordy.

At least Imus didn't have to pay up.

....Yet.

Someone, somewhere, will sue him. And then IMUS will sue CBS and MSNBC. This is America. Seems everyone will either sue or get sued at some point.

Some of the talking heads were on the news and said that IMUS has a good law suit case against CBS should he choose to go after them. Right now he's off licking his wounds. I really dont' think we have heard the last of this from him.

[edit on 4/14/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

This is a story about it that came out today. AND it seems that some are worried that it's in jeapordy.

Thanks for posting this, FF.

This is the worst part of all of this to me. Imus has enough money to do just fine the rest of his life. Hopefully he learned something about being respectful of other people. The Rutgers girls are adults and will be just fine. They got some publicity and a lot of support for whatever suffering they went through.

But the kids who won't be able to to go the Ranch and learn what it's like to live on a farm before they get too sick... it breaks my heart, really.

Profile of the Imus Ranch

It's a great story, written before all this mess...

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

As far as I know, he didn't SAY, "I'm sorry" (in other words, "I take responsibility for the wrong that I did and I feel remorseful about it") to the people he hurt.

Since Solon, legal disputes between citizens have been resolved through financial compensation for loss, ie, You killed my horse, so you have to give me one of yours. Not fake apologies.

What is it about Americans that makes us think 'I'm sorry' is this magic panacea, able to solve any dispute?

'I'm sorry' doesn't mean crap if the person saying it doesn't back it up with any action.

I find your views on Sharpton's involvement in the Imus controversy interesting in light of the fact that you spent a long time explaining to me (in the Alphonso Jackson thread) that we should be able to separate the message from the messenger, to consider the idea as opposed to the personality. Could you explain the apparent contradiction?

That's great .. if he pays.

It was, like, 20 years ago. This article, from 2001, says that Sharpton planned to appeal, but I'm sure it's all been decided by now, either way. If you care enough to look into it (
), I'd be interested in what you find.

It's time all of us moved past the liberal and conservative talking points and really figure this all out for ourselves. Somewhere on ATS today (honestly, I can't remember- I read so many threads), someone said, if we look at the Duke case, we learn that the media can make anybody look bad. All they have to do is find the one person/'talking head' who hates you, and they're off to the races! So, we, as consumers of mass media, need to be vigilant, and double check everything, when possible, including the real histories of people we think we know.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   

'I'm sorry' doesn't mean crap if the person saying it doesn't back it up with any action.

I totally agree. That's why I put in the part about feeling remorse.

I find your views on Sharpton's involvement in the Imus controversy interesting in light of the fact that you spent a long time explaining to me (in the Alphonso Jackson thread) that we should be able to separate the message from the messenger, to consider the idea as opposed to the personality. Could you explain the apparent contradiction?

I'm not sure why you're confused, but I'll do my best to explain. I don't approve of Sharpton's tactics to make victims out of black people. However, I like and agree with a lot of what he says. But in this case, I think it was wrong for him to go after Imus the way he did and make a big deal of demanding he lose his job. (Just as I think it was wrong for Imus to say what he said.)

I like Sharpton's personality and agree with a lot of his views on most political issues but I don't agree with the way he (IN MY OPINION) exploits black Americans. I think he would be more effective if he empowered them instead of victimizing them. He says he's for equal protection under the law, not racial polarization, but a lot of the moves he makes, (I believe) polarize the races.

I think he's a great motivational speaker and I think he's funny and very personable. But I don't agree with what he did in the Imus case.

I'm not "taking a side" in this Imus vs. Sharpton controversy. It's an unfortunate situation, especially for Imus' kids, as I said. People seem to have a real hard time with me not taking a side in most discussions. But I like both Imus and Sharpton and I dislike some things both have said and done.

In this particular instance, I wish Imus hadn't lost his job. I wish there could have been another way (I'm SURE there would have been) to make it an opportunity for education for everyone.

Does that explain?

[edit on 14-4-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I'm not sure why you're confused...Does that explain?

I was confused because we're spending a lot of time talking about Tawana Brawley. In the A. Jackson thread, it was pretty much established that he's a Bush crony, but that fact was deemed irrelevant to the point he was trying to make. You're not giving Sharpton the same consideration... so, no, that didn't explain.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I was confused because we're spending a lot of time talking about Tawana Brawley.

I made ONE post about the Pagones deal, saying that Sharpton didn't apologize. ONE post in response to another poster. I never mentioned Tawana Brawley.

In the A. Jackson thread, it was pretty much established that he's a Bush crony, but that fact was deemed irrelevant to the point he was trying to make.

Yes, I remember.

You're not giving Sharpton the same consideration...

I am not judging Sharpton based on the Pagones thing. Others were talking about it so I chimed in. In fact, I didn't even KNOW about the story at all until other people in this thread started talking about it and I looked it up and read about it. I had never heard of Tawana Brawley OR Pagones.

My judgments about Sharpton in the IMUS case are about his actions in the IMUS case, alone. I have said my thoughts on it many times now.

My general thoughts on Sharpton have nothing to do with any other specific thing Sharpton has or hasn't done. I am seeing more and more how he supports victimization and I don't like it.
I don't think it's good for people. But I still think he has a lot of redeeming characteristics.

Does that explain?

[edit on 14-4-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Just a thought...

If you dont have the brain cells, the diplomacy to be on the air , you shouldnt be. He's been castigated (not castrated) and from this he will learn a lesson he will never forget.
As i said before, i'm not a fan of his, but I have heard he does a lot of good out there helping the unfortunates and it is sad that he did not get a second chance.
BTW, wasnt he supposed to speak to the women in private? Did that ever take place?

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yes, dg, they did meet.
Adn we'll never know what would have happened if the meeting had allowed before the mad rush to judgment.
Surely, CBS and NBC could have waited one more day.
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
BTW, wasnt he supposed to speak to the women in private? Did that ever take place?

Yes, He had a 3-hour meeting with the women, AFTER he lost his job.

Source

"He feels awful," she said of her husband. "He asked them, 'I want to know the pain I caused, and I want to know how to fix this and change this.'"

Deirdre Imus also said that the Rutgers players have been receiving hate e-mail, and she demanded that it stop. She told listeners "if you must send e-mail, send it to my husband," not the team.
Asked this morning about the hate mail, Rutgers team spokewoman Stacey Brann said the team had received "two or three e-mails" but had also received "over 600 wonderful e-mails."

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
the mad rush to judgment.

You know, I was trying to find a way to say this and I couldn't come up with it. It was like people were SO angry and hate-filled, that something had to happen NOW. I can't help but think that if he had met with the girls and maybe had some of them on his show, there may have been a real step in healing in this country. And maybe the Ranch would have gone on and perhaps Imus would have really learned something about racism and apologized on air to all the people he's ever hurt. But we'll never know because of the mad rush to judgment.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   

You know, I was trying to find a way to say this and I couldn't come up with it. It was like people were SO angry and hate-filled, that something had to happen NOW.

Umm, I think all the hate came from Imus. Everything that happened was a result of what Imus said. People reacted to Imus' words...

I can't help but think that if he had met with the girls and maybe had some of them on his show, there may have been a real step in healing in this country.

Just the thought of the team members going on the show of the man who had just insulted them...this is just so "fantasyland", uggh! And, I'm sure they feel a sense of healing knowing that he won't be doing that to anyone else for a while...because he's fired!

I can't understand why the injured party has to initiate the healing of this sick Country? It didn't work too well for Martin, did it?

And maybe the Ranch would have gone on and perhaps Imus would have really learned something about racism and apologized on air to all the people he's ever hurt. But we'll never know because of the mad rush to judgment.

Don't worry, the Ranch will go on...Imus lives there...all donations to the Foundation will insure he keeps his 2nd home and continues to run his program. And the donations are pouring in...from people who defend his potty mouth talk. He gets donations, while the team members he insulted get hate mail...What a Country!

And the deciding factor of that so-called "Mad Rush To Judgement"...I believe it was his Corporate Sponsors who dumped him like a hot potato. I think it was the media that drowned the airways with this story...and the more people found out, the worse things began to look for Imus.

The sponsors could not afford any more liability with him...remember, these same sponsors supported all of the previous trash with Imus...now that I think of it, these sponsors still deserve a Boycott! Disgusting!

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join