It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This needs to be said.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I think that the reply text box thing is fiddly and could be improoved. There are instances when it annoys me, such as when you want to put something in bold say, and it puts the relevant code to the bottom of the page. Grrrr!

There are so many glitches, and members should not resort to writing posts in a different program and then copy/pasting.

I hate complaining, but I'm sure this will really help in editing of our text.

Even writing this was irritating and for some reason, when I wanted to add to what I said, the words infront were 'eaten' by the new text but this is common.

If SO can't do it, I fear that nobody can.:shk:

All those in favour say "I"!

Viva La Revolution!

[edit on 9-4-2007 by Xeros]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I think it's better to learn the relevant bb-codes and add them in the posts manually.

To write something in bold:

[b]blahblahblah[/b]

to produce this:

blahblahblah

To write something in italic:

[i]blahblahblah[/i]

to produce this:

blahblahblah

To quote somebody:

[quote]
blahblahblah[/quote]

to produce this:

blahblahblah

etc.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Hmm, easy for some. Are you saying that this can't be "fixed". I could learn the code, but, it would be slicker and more helpful if there was no need, especially for newer members. This would be really such a benefit imo. and the code aint the only problem. I will learn alas

I'm sure that alot of people would agree and other (crappy) boards have editing facilities that actually work.

Edit- Hellmutt, you had to learn the code, out of necessity because of this problem, no?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
[paranoid]Hi there![/paranoid]

Produces this:

they're watching me

[soviet]I'm wtr. I need a new belt, as the orginal one I brought in a hurry is too small[/soviet]

Produces this:

And

[hawking]Bye, for now[/hawking]

Produces this:

ž¢œ9â›ÔûR©üýroë@œÀÏ4ÆŒ:’3 ÁÇ®[Ô1ZE-¼¶òÆ¥$ÎH#=ǽuZžœ²Æ]

It's all real easy. It will become second nature before you know it.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros

Hellmutt, you had to learn the code, out of necessity because of this problem, no?

I've never posted with the buttons and I'll never use them. Why take extra steps and do extra clicks back and forth, when I can add the codes on-the-fly while I'm typing? Faster and easier in the long run. And it's not like learning a complete new language. There are not that many bb-codes.

watch_the_rocks

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I think the powers above have a lot on their plate right now, and this may be resting at the bottom of the pile of "Things To Do", even if it has made the list. So for the time being, why not spend two or three minutes to learn the code. If you can type at any rate, within a few posts you'll of mastered the bbcode and cranking out posts full of bbcode just as any without it.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
I've never posted with the buttons and I'll never use them. Why take extra steps and do extra clicks back and forth, when I can add the codes on-the-fly

Im a little perplexed by the (mod) responses, I think that at least the deletion glitch could be fixed and cannot see how this could be at the "bottom of the pile" seeing as it is so relevant (posting?).

You say that you have not "posted with the buttons". So why are they there? It would help alot imo.

I could do it.... It's just that newer members and, dare I say it...... non-geeky people could benefit

It will happen eventually, as it needs to happen but aesthetics such as "stats" etc should come last imho.

However, I'm not a programmer, so I'm not sure how hard this would be to integrate.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Well the way I see it, the Amigo's have seen Above Top Secret turn into something that is consuming much of their day. To say they are extremely busy, well that is certainly an understatement. This "glitch" that you speak of is extremely benign. Considering the only thing we request is that you type [b] [/b] yourself, or any of the other bbcode's, rather than clicking on a button, is not too much to ask. Now asking the Amigo's to put everything else on hold so they can correct this benign issue, that can be avoided very easily, I think that is asking a lot.

When Skeptic gets a chance, hopefully this is something that we can resolve. But I would request that you submit a formal complaint on the subject via the Complain/Suggestion function. I understand that once you submit it, you see nothing. But believe me, it does get noticed and it is thoroughly discussed.

So again, for the time being, if you can manage to do it on your own, I'm sure the Administration would really appreciate it.

[edit on 9-4-2007 by chissler]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Thankyou for your understanding chissler

I feel as if I'm the only one regarding this
and I'm only trying to help ATS (as I'm sure you know)

Cheers for the advice.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I feel as if I'm the only one regarding this
and I'm only trying to help ATS (as I'm sure you know)

We understand that this is more of a Suggestion than a Complaint, and we appreciate your observation that is to benefit ATS. It is not being overlooked, and it is certainly something that has been picked up by the radar in the past. It is just something that seems to be a little benign, and something that we can get to "tomorrow".

There have been a lot of changes with ATS lately, and each and every one has been to benefit the members of this community. I suspect this trend is going to continue into the future, where members have more "perks" made available to them.

So while the Amigo's are pumping out these great advantages for our members, we'll keep this one on our bulletin and be sure they can get around to it whenever time is available.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
I think it's better to learn the relevant bb-codes and add them in the posts manually.

Thats what I do. Nice to know I'm not the only one.
I thought it was weird.

[edit on 9/4/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I never use the boxes because they are troublesome and because of my spelling I have most of the time copy and paste from my writing programs because I have to do the spell check and grammatic often.

So I just take a littler more time than others unless the debate is so hot that I don't care if I misspell one hundred times as long as I can keep up at a particular time

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Even writing this was irritating and for some reason, when I wanted to add to what I said, the words infront were 'eaten' by the new text but this is common.

I cannot help you with the rest, but this bit sounds like you have the INS key on your keyboard hit. It’s like a toggle key, and in one mode it inserts while in the other it overwrites text. Hope that is what you meant by having inserted text being eaten…

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Thanks defcon,
although I'm not sure where that key is. My sausage fingers don't help. "For assistance please mash the keyboard"

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Thanks defcon,
although I'm ot sure where that key is.

It is the Insert button which is between the letter keys and the number pad, above the arrows.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Thanks defcon,
although I'm ot sure where that key is. My sausage fingers don't help. "For assistance please mash the keyboard"

Ah... Now that I can help you with its in the small group of 6 keys to the right of your Enter key. Above the Del key. The only key that I have yet to find on my nifty keyboard is the Any Key… So if someone out there can tell me how to “Press Any Key” that would be great…

After 6 calls to Toshiba, they finally told me that the Bug Fix for the Any key was the Enter key, however this concerns me as what will I do if a modal dialog box pops up saying:
“To Format C: Drive Press Enter, to Cancel press Any key”…

[edit on 4/9/2007 by defcon5]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
You can not preview your edited post without losing the new text. You have to directly repost the edit.

Try it. Sucks.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I have a laptop Defcon. I did not press anything either (as far as I'm aware). Landis is on the ball, in regards to my suggestion.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well I am sort of in the midle of the road on this.

ON the one hand it would be nice if the chat functionality was fixed and
made better, but on the other hand the only time I use the buttons is to
hyperlinnk something, so it does'nt bother me to much, though I do know
what Xeros means aboutit going to the bottom of the post, I hate
when it does that.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Hellmutt, I agree.. I generally manually add my italics and quotes. Really the only time I use the buttons is when I am inserting a picture or link..

[edit on 10-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

<<   2 >>

join