It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The aviation toddler years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I live in a city rich in aviation history. Dayton, Ohio is the home of the Wright brothers bicycle shop and the inspiration where the first airplane able to achieve controlled flight was constructed. The years following this achievement until WWI are not a part of popular history as the airplane never found its use until the necessity of warfare. Nevertheless, I find the early years before WWI the most interesting in that it formulated the technology for dependable controlled flight and the application of aviation to the world. I find that the military use was necessary for all the civilian uses and aspiration we see now, and I find that the birth of two fields on the outskirts of Dayton, Ohio to be especially interesting for me and anyone else, since they marked the early years of our air services, and procurement of what is now the US Air Force.

My main study in this thread will be McCook field, which served its purposes between 1917-1927. It precedes Wright Patterson AFB which supposedly houses the aliens. I have found that I live adjacent by one block from this field, which is now a 1940's industrial complex, but its rich history is forgotten. I hope to do some field research with both the historical society and the air force museum to note of any aircraft accidents and to locate any possibilty of finding artifiacts on the shores of the Great Miami river which borders the north and western fronts of this old field.

Here is the field in 1922:

I live on the lower portion of this photo. The entire field is light industrial zoned now and Interstate 75 crosses through the entire frame today.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
For a reference, here is a preliminary crop of some locations:

The green highlight is the future path of Interstate 75 north/south.

The yellow swatch is the future location of my house. According to the property deed, my house was built in 1920. So either my deed is wrong, or this photo is incorrectly dated at being 1922. Some of the landmarks do still exist and I will document them in the near future.

The actual single runway ran in a general north/south direction. Depending on the prevailing winds, takeoffs and approaches would have flew over a rather large vacant area, which is now a city owned ballpark and recreational area or over a now paved trucking depot. I will probably try my luck searching the city parks for artifacts. More photos to come.

A google maps version of the 1920's photo today:

join