It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Hi,
im trying to play battlefield 2 online but i keep getting kicked from the server for "high average ping: 246". the only problem is that i have no idea how to solve the problem, not only that but i have no idea what a ping is.

Can someone please explain

Thanx

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
What speed is your internet connection?

Anything less than say..128k will give you high ping whitch basically means laggy game play (reduced quality)

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
i have know idea all i know is that im using DSL

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Do you know what your D/L Speed is capped at?

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I think

is this what you mean : 30kbs

[edit on 8-4-2007 by The_Ninja]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Ah yes, 30Kb is not enough to play BF2 online , you will get major high Ping

if you want to play BF2 online or other games Online i suggest you get a faster broadband connection

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Oh ok what do you reccomend

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
There's a lot of connection speed tests out there, but I like this one the best:

www.speedtest.net...

My results:

[edit on 8/4/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
i recommend you get mabye 2-4Mb Broadband from the most respected network you know (since i do not know where you live i don't know witch one to recommend to you,sorry )

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   

^ those are my results and judging by yours i odnt think that thats good

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Ninja

^ those are my results and judging by yours i odnt think that thats good

Oh,hmm this is interesting,You do have a good enough connection to play BF2 online, this is confusing :-/

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
yeah thats what i thought anyway what does the server mean by "high average ping "

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
High average ping means you are experiency a consistently high ping (the amount of time it takes for your computer to communicate and recieve messages from the server) e.g If you have a low ping your machine is communicating with the server at a much faster rate.

So say it looks like you shoot and kill someone only then to be killed by them you may be experience lag because by the time the message that you killed the guy had gotten to the server he had already killed you and the server registered this first.

[edit on 9/4/2007 by iCEdTenG]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Hey thankx guys i think i fixed the problem
I knew that BTS was the rite place for help

once again thanks

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Hey just our of curiosity how did you fix the problem?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It could be that you're not in a good pyhsical location in relation to the servers that you're trying to connect to. If it's possible try to connect to servers that have a low ping. If you can get it under 100 you should be fine.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by iCEdTenG
Hey just our of curiosity how did you fix the problem?

I relized that over 20 programs running that were also connected to the internet so i just deleated them and problem solved,,i think

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm a little late on this one.
To everyone else who experiences this problem, go to start > run > type CMD hit [ENTER], you will be in the Dos prompt.
From the dos prompt (black window with white writing), type netstat, hit [ENTER]

Give it a moment and it will list off ALL of the programs on your computer which are accessing the internet.
The majority of them 'should' be internet explorer of firefox. That's fine.
If you see a list longer than, say, 10 items, you need to do some cleaning. (Unless of course 10 of those items are your web browser... then just close the damn browser and list them off again. lol.

top topics

join