It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Show How Small and Insignificant We Really Are

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I put these together to help people grasp just how vast and immense our
immediate surroundings are. Do you own research past this scale. Our entire galaxy is but a fleck of dust on the cosmic scale. To suggest life doesn't exist elsewhere borders on absurdity.

Instead of wasting more space with pics, go here.
www.atlasoftheuniverse.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Once you've realised how big the solar system and our immediate surroundings are, click on the link in the original post and you'll get an idea of how big the whole universe is. It's simply mind-bending

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Mind boggling numbers and distances....It's almost impossible to imagine these distances....

Just shows how small and insignificant we are when you look at things on that scale.

Thanks for the link, real interesting stuff

MR

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Undefeated,those pics are truely AWESOME. Thanks for posting them!

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Brilliant way to put things into perspective. (incidentally, the biggest thing in the 'known' universe seems to be a sort of blob made of galaxies and gas, it's 200 million light years in size www.space.com...)

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Great thread !

I had a bit of a giggle when the second image appeared, showing us the sun in comparison to the planets. How tiny we are, I thought..

But my jaw simply dropped when I saw how redundant it is compared to some of those other babies..

Blimey, I had no idea...

Amazing !!

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Thank you for the pictures; very well done.
On the other hand, I think a bit different about the enormous size of the universe. Yes, it is so huge, we can not even imagine; yet, it is also not that big, because we can THINK and contemplate about the origin or the possible borders of the universe. We should be ready for the upcoming scientific discoveries that this universe is in fact a very small copy of many other bigger universes.

[edit on 8-4-2007 by manastin]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Check this video...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Ok they are big but they are thick basically an ant is more advanced than the Sun and they are not alive. Space could be infinite but it ha no meaning if it can not be analysed some how. The real measure is God and his vastness, otherwise keep looking at sizes and comparing. Its fantastic yes and love this stuff too good work.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
The real measure is God and his vastness, otherwise keep looking at sizes and comparing.

Why does god have to appear in a thread that had nothing to do about god?

Pathetic, really...

Also, why was Pluto given special status as a planet? Hehehehehe! It's been delisted! Maybe you needed to show the Pluto-Charon system instead??

Where does Zeta Reticuli fit in that scale? How about some of the Pleiades stars?

Great pictures, mate.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
These comparisons truly bring things into perspective but I dont believe that "you put them together" as you claim because i have seen these as far back as 1 year ago or more.
In fact i have this pics downloaded in a folder buried somewhere in my h/d

[edit on 8-4-2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
These comparisons truly bring things into perspective but I dont believe that "you put them together" as you claim because i have seen these as far back as 1 year ago or more.
In fact i have this pics downloaded in a folder buried somewhere in my h/d

[edit on 8-4-2007 by Kr0n0s]

To you and anyone else who was mislead by that statement-----
I did not "create" these images or this scale. What I meant by "put them together" was I retrieved them reproduced them for this forum in a series.
They were brought to my attention by a colleague. Thanks

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

The real measure is God and his vastness, otherwise keep looking at sizes and comparing.

Why does god have to appear in a thread that had nothing to do about god?

Pathetic, really...

Also, why was Pluto given special status as a planet? Hehehehehe! It's been delisted! Maybe you needed to show the Pluto-Charon system instead??

Where does Zeta Reticuli fit in that scale? How about some of the Pleiades stars?

Great pictures, mate.

God is compared as way of thinking, if we can think in scale the opposite is God can make to scale many different scales of size. It is also used very much to measure God's mind. We in a way are like the universe; we can scale things up and comprehend vastness without touching it. I do not see the pathetic part of it, it just sounds ignorant.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   

God is compared as way of thinking, if we can think in scale the opposite is God can make to scale many different scales of size. It is also used very much to measure God's mind. We in a way are like the universe; we can scale things up and comprehend vastness without touching it. I do not see the pathetic part of it, it just sounds ignorant.

Dude, the original post showed a picture of planets (and Pluto) and stars scaled relatively to each other. There was no need to bring god into the scaling. Simple mathematics is sufficient for the correct ratios of the spheres to be determined.

Don't continue with your "god's mind" crap, when all the original post did was to highlight the scale of the Universe in which we live.

How would Ceres fit on the scale in relation to Pluto? The Moon would have been another celestial body to include as well, considering that it and the Sun are the only two celestial bodies that we can easily see with some sense of scale.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
nice thread m8!
thx for the link to Atlasoftheuniverse.com.

Doesn't seeing the 'hugeness' of the universe, makes you think its stupid that God would have created al that for us to play in???

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Heh, I didn't know so many stars were bigger than ours. But I did know that we are insignificant specs of nothing in this huge universe.

Thanks for the thread. Hope it opens up people's minds.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Yes you can scale back too to the atom level and beyond. So even if the post comes to a standstill the gallery view is nice and all, but why one should not add an extra view or take on it to further the conversation is bad once God is mentioned? The play ground is not full yet of the universe if that is a answer.

But insigifcant to what? We are more complex than the biggest star so to me we are not just dust but very special beings and if that helps.

[edit on 8-4-2007 by The time lord]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Nice thread.

We urgend need to work on our space travel technic!
I would like to visit our nightbourhood! That Arcturian sun looks inviting.

So you have the earth in relation to the universe. Now picture the human in relation to earth to get an even more complete picture.

I was standing once on top of a hill at the coast, 100 or 200 meter high and looked down to the people at the beach. It's impressive if you see this little people and the open sea. This way you get a good impression of how small we humans are compared to our planet. We are a little nothing but we feel and think as we are the universe!

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
the pics are great represantations. although also keep this in mind.

There are Galaxies and stars that we havent discovered yet that could hold planets the size of a whole galaxy.....think about a star the size of 5 galaxies lol...can u imagine how many planets would orbit that star ?

of course we havent discovered a star or planet THAT big yet....but if u have seen the famous hubble picture of the galaxies all scattered in a pic. here ill link it.

thats the famous ultradeep space pic. and that's not even a fraction of what is really out there.

my personal opinion and belief is that our universe is INFINITE. and there are an INFINITE number of galaxies,stars,and planets out there....

for those who doesnt quite grasp the concept of "infinite" i mean larger than 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 .......i could go on but i think u understand how large im talking about lol

Nothing but love,and peace -Mayan

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It really is just so overwhelmingly, mindblowing how big it all is!!!!

It just seems with all of that space, how could we be the only ones??!!

Its really hard for me to think that all of that was built for just us!!

I mean waht a waste of space if their are not other civilizations out their!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join