It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independence Class LCS Design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Ok, I'm trying to compile a catalog of sorts and I was wondering what the weapons load out will be for the LCS-2 (USS Independence), the General Dynamics design. I know that it will have PAM mission modules but Wiki states (I don't trust Wiki) that it has two quad Harpoon launchers and two 32 cell VLS modules. This seems a bit too much for me even though some of the GD pictures seem to show these weapons. Can anyone substantiate these claims? Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

[edit on 7-4-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   

On the other hand, LCS designs have been criticized for their low level of offensive and defensive armaments: A 5-inch naval gun, RIM-116 SeaRAM short range defensive missiles, light short-range NETFIRES missiles, plus any missiles or 70mm rockets carried by its accompanying helicopters (up to 2 H-60 slots or up to 4 MQ-8B Fire Scout UAV slots). Present LCS designs don't even carry torpedo tubes, or vertical-launch systems (VLS) that could accommodate present and future attack and/or defensive missiles.

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

That's as of March 19th 2007, Defense Industry Daily, so I'd say that's a pretty good source for you.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Thanks Zaph, the thing is that these designs (LCS-1 - LCS-2) are still the preliminary Flight 0 configuration. I'll be curious to see if the winning design is fitted with a few MK41 tactical length VLS.

new topics

join