It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do i make a good thread???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I try but they always jsut go up to like 3. 26 is the most repl's. I tyr to tall about stuff people relat with but it does not work.So how do i get mor reply's?
help me plz
peace

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Well I would try to find a topic that you are interested in and know about, and that other people would be interested in talking about.

And try and spell words out and use good grammer. People can't respond to your threads if they can't figure out what you are trying to say.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
lol, thanx man. I know, i have bad spelling and grammer. I get than on this web site alot. sorry
peace

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxylad-ay
I try but they always jsut go up to like 3. 26 is the most repl's. I tyr to tall about stuff people relat with but it does not work.So how do i get mor reply's?
help me plz
peace

I should be the last one to give advice on this topic because most of the threads I start drop dead after a few posts, but here goes.

One of the great things about using a computer is that you really don't need to know how to spell, and I'm one of the worst offenders. I use the Firefox Browser with the DictionarySearch add-on. Just by quoting your paragraph above my dictionary has underlined 8 errors.

Screen Capture of your area:

All I need to do is right click any underlined word and I'm given the choice to pick a correct spelling from a list, or add that spelling to my dictionary so that it won't be flagged as an error in the future. Something like your user name I would click so that it won't show as a mistake the next time it shows up.

A corrected version of your post:

I try but they always just go up to like 3. 26 is the most replies. I try to talk about stuff people relate with but it does not work.
So how do i get more replies ?
Help me please.
peace

Just a few changes makes it a lot easier to read, and others more likely to reply.
A spell checker in your browser can be your best friend when submitting to boards like these.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
By sending me five weekly installments of £1000 (Pound Sterling), you too can achieve great threads.

My company won't actually do anything, but you'll be safe in the knowledge that you paid for self improvement, and its a given that once paid for, it will be achieved.

Just dial 08000-BIG SCAM, to speak to one of our highly untrained professionals, and we'll get you making great threads today!

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
How do you make a good thread?

.5) Pick something that truly interests you, people can sense passion and it quickly becomes infectious.

1) Research

2) Backup Links

2) Images help to pull people through long posts

3) Give people your opinion (this gets people involved and encourages discussion)

4)Tend to your thread and talk to people

5) keep researching the topic and continue to post relevant information.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I'm new here also, but I'm familiar with forums like this.

Just be yourself. I can tell that the spelling and grammer is not an interest to you as much as people make it out to be.

To be honest! I have crappy spelling also and I have an I.Q. of 132. That's pretty high for the average person.

Do you have hearing problems? That is why I have spelling problems. I never was able to hear the proper pronouncements of the words because of that.

This is what I do. I have google loaded up on another page and enter the word I'm not sure how to spell. It always give me the proper spelling no matter how bad I write it.

I'm interested in what you have to write, so you have already aquired a loyal fan base.

I'm not really the hippie type, but I do smoke bud and have this totally cool tie-die shirt. It has about 50 2 inch peace symbols all over it and one big one in front of it.

Just talk about what you're passionate about and people will get to know you.

Personally, the messed up spelling doesn't matter to me but, everyone always judges a person by that on the interent. Just like a person judges someone by their looks in person. The same principle!

princeable typed on google = principle

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Tagged and Flagged........

That has to help a thread be successful.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
People it's grammar not grammer!!

Anyway, I think it's hard to predict what threads are going to take off and which ones won't. I've made some long, detailed posts that get few responses. And some short, off the cuff ones that go on for pages and pages.

My advice would just post what you find interesting. Some posts that are very interesting and read by a lot of people still don't get many responses since there's not much to add. Still, they are good threads.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
People it's grammar not grammer!!

Yeah....I knew that....I was just....trying to get the OP to notice to...work on her...spelling skills..yeah.

[edit on 8/4/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
WTF guys. I love u all but it just spelling. Atlest i dn't rit lik ths. (Atleast i do not write like this). THanx for the info and stuff but i feel like i am being personaly attacted. This thread is about making good threads, not grammer.lol
thanx, peace

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
No one is attacking you, we are just trying to help you.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

WTF guys. I love u all but it just spelling. Atlest i dn't rit lik ths. (Atleast i do not write like this). THanx for the info and stuff but i feel like i am being personaly attacted. This thread is about making good threads, not grammer.lol
thanx, peace

Actually people have been helping you (which you requested) and have not been attacking you, people can often judge a post within the first few seconds based upon several factors such as grammar, spelling, layout, content etc.

Its takes little effort to check spelling, divide your work up into paragraphs, refrain from using "text speak", a well presented thread post is the first step to a good thread post...of course the content is always the most important though

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
My reply to your thread was in no way an attack on you, just an attempt to provide you with the assistance you requested.

So far this thread seems to be moving along very well, with members taking the time to point out ways to help you create a successful thread.
I'm sorry you don't like the replies, but you asked.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
You may not put much stock in spelling and grammar, but it’s highly important if you want people to take what you’re saying seriously; even more so in the crowd of intelligent folks on this website.

I don’t mean this as in insult in any way, but the truth is that the only reason that I read as past your initial post was that after reading the title, and then seeing the spelling and grammar, I thought it was someone trying to be funny.

Normally if I open a thread, and the OP has poor spelling, poor grammar, and/or uses leet, I figure it’s a kid messing around, and I pass it by. I came darn close on this thread.

If you want folks to take what you’re saying seriously, then you have to post it in a serious manner.

When you make a thread, you are asking others to invest time in reading and responding to that thread, if you are not willing to invest the time to write the thread well, and do some research, then why should anyone else?

I see folks give links to free spell checkers on this site from time to time, can someone post a link like that for the OP?
I use word myself, so that is not going to be much help…

[edit on 4/9/2007 by defcon5]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
I see folks give links to free spell checkers on this site from time to time, can someone post a link like that for the OP?

Here's one-
Free online spell checker

Yes some very good advice throughout this thread. No attacking, just constructive criticism. Like anything else, crafting a good thread takes some effort and practice. [And I'm no example!]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well, *sigh*, unfortunately, most threads that get posted only receive 3-20 replies and usually 4-5 of those are from the original poster. That is just the way it goes. You never know what is going to interest any particular group on any given day. There are different people in here all of the time, so, naturally, some are more inclined to look at a thread you post than others. I have seen some of my posts not get any replies until 2-3 days after I posted it. You just have to be patient.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Modemizer

To be honest! I have crappy spelling also and I have an I.Q. of 132. That's pretty high for the average person.

That's very high for the average person. Average intelligence only ranges between 85-100. IQs of 140 and above are considered genius.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Foxylad-ay,

Your trying to use chat room talk here on the ats. We don't do this when typing out a thread. Alot of people are from different countrys and don't use chat rooms. Most cannot understand what your trying to say. Save the chat room talk for the chat rooms and talk with real words here on the boards. Take your time to actually spell out the words. Instead of thanx why not put up the word thanks, etc... It doesn't take that much more time to do that.

[edit on 9-4-2007 by Shar]

top topics

join