It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forest on Mars !?!?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtal_Phusion
If you like, I can list the biochemical reasons why this is simply not possible (since it is my job to know!) but I suspect you'd rather play in the land of make-believe than learn a little science.

Yeah nice one go list your reasons why EARTH trees would not grow on MARS eh!

Then maybe open your mind a bit and realise you might not know EVERYTHING and vegetation there might be completely different in needs!!!

[edit on 10-4-2007 by kungfubeats]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

now that's interesting!

[edit on 10-4-2007 by undo]

But look here colors on Viking image : coz - red is cosed by storm, whwn storm is gone - colors are normal!!

Temporary, the surface illumination is really red, caused by dust-storms, darkening the sky. The image on the left was taken shortly after or during such a storm and the diffuse light with almost no shadows is visible. In contrast to this, the image on the right, shows sharp shadows and clear blue sky, the normal condition on Mars.
On the image-data of the Viking- and Pathfinder-Missions, this diffuse illumination is a very rare condition and not the normal state, as NASA seems to publish it with their dull-red picture

What is more than interesting is 'red' sky - but that was not the case back in '76 as we can see from Viking images - original data no corection!!!

mars-news.de...

source

[edit on 10-4-2007 by blue bird]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
*hands blue bird the smoking gun award*

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
*hands blue bird the smoking gun award*

Thank you undo !

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Regarding DARK SPOTS on Mars south pole, I found also information that 3 Hungarian scientist (Planetarium and the Institute for Advanced Study, Budapest) who were searching through over 60 000 photos from MGS, claim following:

. "The organisms live between the surface of Mars and a thick ice cover that isolates them extremely well from Martian temperatures of around -120°C," said Ganti. "When the spring comes and light penetrates the ice, these organisms absorb the energy of light and warm up themselves. Under the ice, temperatures rise to slightly above 0°C. A thin inner layer of the ice melts, thus creating the conditions of life. In the summer, when the whole ice cover melts and the water evaporates, they dry out again," he said. The dark spots start spreading in the spring, varying from 10 meters to several hundred metres in diameter. "The organisms could be algae or lichen at the most, similar to organisms that can be found on tundra close to the earth's North and South Poles,"

NASA large image: www.msss.com...

source

3 separate researches ( European Mars Express orbiter, a team from NASA Goddard Space Flight Center using several large telescopes, and a team led by Vladimir Krasnopolsky using the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope)

confirmed METHANE in Mars atmosphere - methane is on Earth manly product from bacteria and volcanic activity....maybe rover will try to get closer look and find the source of methane.

[edit on 11-4-2007 by blue bird]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   
More:

Row 1 and 3: Satellite images (from Google) of trees and shrubs around dunes in White Sands National Monument, New Mexico.
Row 2 and 4: Mars Global Surveyor images of similar spots around dunes in the northern polar regions of Mars, an area of high concentration of frozen water.

source

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by blue birdThe image on the left was taken shortly after or during such a storm and the diffuse light with almost no shadows is visible. In contrast to this, the image on the right, shows sharp shadows and clear blue sky, the normal condition on Mars.

Well the one thing I have noticed is that while NASA shows the "red", those that try to convince us that the sky is "blue" do exactly the same thing NASA does, only in the other direction...

Image one is clearly adjusted to show the darker red that NASA likes, while the other one is so clearly enhanced to the blue side that everything has a blue tint.... so neither image shows true color

What is more than interesting is 'red' sky - but that was not the case back in '76 as we can see from Viking images - original data no corection!!!

Only problem with that is that the Viking Rover shown in your image is blue as well... but it is really WHITE...

Now then I too have a Mars Color image....

The image below taken by Spirit Rover is one from NASA and is "Radiometrically Calibrated" This image represents true color on Mars. These images are not generally released to the public yet are not difficult to find. However for the time bring you will have to track them down yourself as we are not ready to hand over this source just yet...

Now I have done field work in geology for most of my life and the bluish black rocks and the sand in the image below look just like the volcanic Scoria, a type of Basalt in the desert sands here in Nevada... This summer I will go and take some photos of the area so we have a direct comparison.

In the meantime below is a small sample of Scoria or Vesicular Basalt. You can see the bluish black natural color of this material and it is readily found on Earth as one of the more common lavas...

This gives me a pretty good reference to be able to see that the image above is indeed true color on Mars...

Now the image below...

Mars or Earth... you decide...

Data Page

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
You have voted zorgon for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
First color image:

* many colors

source

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I am very interested in 'green' Hubble pictures from '96 - I know that all Hubble pictures are done black/white - send down in ones and zeros - and there is : g r e e n!!!

source

Mars 2001/Hubble:

source

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
My guess is that a lot of the stuff people see as "vegetation" is a result of darker, windblown material settling in crevasses, or possibly left over from melting ice. Anyone from a part of the world where the snow melts in the Spring and leaves little piles of dirt in the street knows the process I'm talking about.

A lot of the misperception about the Mars stuff is the way it has "branches" or "veins." Yeah, trees and bushes and other forms of plant life do that, but there are also plenty of erosion processes that will give you that same shape. And folks are also fooled by the light and shadows of the photos. We'll get better photos as time goes by that will clear up a lot of the misperceptions. That HiRise takes some pretty nice pictures.

Sure, we may eventually find some little bugs living in the dirt there (aside from the ones we put there ourselves when they rode in on our spaceships). But big trees and plants? No, sorry. That place is just too damned cold and dry to sustain any larger lifeforms.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus
That place is just too damned cold and dry to sustain any larger lifeforms.

* TEMPARATURE
You may be very surprised if I tell you that the Spirt In 2004, the Spirit rover recorded the warmest temperature around +5 C and the coldest is -15 Celsius in the Guisev Crater.

And that for example Viking measured warmest soil occasionally reaches +81° F (27° C).

source

* DRY !?

Do you find this soil dry or muddy and wet?

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

**Vegetation in cold arias - what about Siberian TUNDRA ?

SuicideVirus
My guess is that a lot of the stuff people see as "vegetation" is a result of darker, windblown material settling in crevasses, or possibly left over from melting ice. Anyone from a part of the world where the snow melts in the Spring and leaves little piles of dirt in the street knows the process I'm talking about.

A lot of the misperception about the Mars stuff is the way it has "branches" or "veins." Yeah, trees and bushes and other forms of plant life do that, but there are also plenty of erosion processes that will give you that same shape. And folks are also fooled by the light and shadows of the photos

I can clearly see the shadows here. There is really a lot of mystification going on about images - like it is coming from some other dimension - don't buy it any more that easily..

marsanomalyresearch.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Great points made on the 6th page here! Above all, NASA is witholding a bit. There is more happening on Mars than we are allowed to know. That doesn't neccessarily mean that there are aliens on Mars and they are covering it up... no it could be more subtle than that. Then again, maybe its not.

Bottom Line -> NASA knows plenty that we don't.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Posted about the red deviation several times before

Look up Keith Laney, for how he found the correct values for the different camera's (pathfinder's, viking's etc) and all of his corrected images.

Also read what he says on his site about it.. it's not necessarily a devious intentional trick to color it red.

Some real pretty images, I love the one with the rocks and ground covered with white "snow" the most

Also continuing on keath Laney check The Color of Mars

[edit on 11/4/2007 by David2012]

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by David2012

Some real pretty images, I love the one with the rocks and ground covered with white "snow" the most

LOL NASA uses red shift, Keith uses Blue shift ( as evident again by the blue color on the corner that shows a piece of the rover... So we will never see an "unshifted" image it seems

:shk:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   

[edit on 11/4/2007 by David2012]

It's early morning thin layer of water frost, near Viking Lander 2 site.

**my favorite dune//Endurance Crater

#BW
here

#'color'
here

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

LOL NASA uses red shift, Keith uses Blue shift ( as evident again by the blue color on the corner that shows a piece of the rover... So we will never see an "unshifted" image it seems

Couldn't agree more!

I found this on some forum - question about why are we not sending
this camera setup to Mars ???

- t a k e n at 400 m i l e s above earth !!!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

I will stick with my color match of the known rocks

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It is not that difficult to guess that there are 2 set of image releases, one for us and one restricted to 'them'.

The whole scenario in which you can see something - but you can not come to any definitive conclusion,is ridiculous. This is treating public like they are kids.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Here is Keith Laney //a photo-processing expert // processed Spirit picture from Mars:

* great images Spirit here and
Opportunity here

*** but look at this panoramic images

source

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join