It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forest on Mars !?!?

page: 58
<< 55  56  57    59 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Arthur C Clark Sees Banyon trees on Mars images

Arthur Clarke’s “Banyan Trees” on Mars Chopped Down
December 12th, 2007
Author Leonard David
Those weird features on Mars recently surveyed by NASA’s super-powerful Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter have uprooted Arthur C. Clarke’s view that vegetation might be at work on the red planet.

Back in 2001, I reported that Clarke saw in Mars Global Surveyor snapshots “extraordinary features” that couldn’t be explained. The noted science fact/fiction writer said signs of vegetation seem apparent. One image even showed what appeared to him looking like Banyan trees, he said.

In a bit of added humor, Clarke decided that Mars must be inhabited “by a race of demented landscape gardeners.”

Here are those stories:

www.space.com...

www.space.com...

But now MRO imagery has found that channels carved out by escaping gas form a “starburst” pattern, radiating out into feathery extensions.

At this week’s American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco, Candice Hansen of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory detailed new looks at Mars morphology, reporting on “lace” and “lizard skin” and branching patterns called “spiders”.

Check out: hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Turns out that those Clarke Banyan tree-like features are similar channels carved into the ground, Hansen has advised me, adding: “Arthur C. Clarke writes great science fiction.”

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

Yes, those things now look like many people said they probably were, ground features and not trees.

It is still possible (I think) that they are the result of some unknown life form, but they are clearly not trees.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Cool pics!
I have been a forester dweller and planted thousands of trees as well as harvested much less
I'd say its a tree and a kilometer across does not faze me- would love to stroll around there

...so what is living under that tree is the next question
nasa has a problem controlling info wouldant you say
or better yet
nasa has a control problem
like the w house
y

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

My hat is off to Nasa/JPL/University of Arizona for presenting the photo Starburst Channels and many thanks to Cyberian for contributing the location of this South Pole on Mars Photo.

NASA You want to know if I picked out all of the magnificent humanoid and hybrid faces on the South Pole of Mars the answer is yes. This dusting of H2O snow, and yes I believe snow versus frozen CO2, outlines in incredible detail one of the most spectacular visual testimonies that intelligent life exists on Mars to date. Folks you must view this photo reversely like you would a hologram. Take your time someone out there will finally see what I see and when you do it is breath taking. Remember when you lock in the visual depth of the photo it will jump out at you like 3D. Rik Riley

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
Arthur C Clark Sees Banyon trees on Mars images

Arthur Clarke’s “Banyan Trees” on Mars Chopped Down
December 12th, 2007
Author Leonard David
Those weird features on Mars recently surveyed by NASA’s super-powerful Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter have uprooted Arthur C. Clarke’s view that vegetation might be at work on the red planet.

Back in 2001, I reported that Clarke saw in Mars Global Surveyor snapshots “extraordinary features” that couldn’t be explained. The noted science fact/fiction writer said signs of vegetation seem apparent. One image even showed what appeared to him looking like Banyan trees, he said.

In a bit of added humor, Clarke decided that Mars must be inhabited “by a race of demented landscape gardeners.”

Here are those stories:

www.space.com...

www.space.com...

But now MRO imagery has found that channels carved out by escaping gas form a “starburst” pattern, radiating out into feathery extensions.

At this week’s American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco, Candice Hansen of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory detailed new looks at Mars morphology, reporting on “lace” and “lizard skin” and branching patterns called “spiders”.

Check out: hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Turns out that those Clarke Banyan tree-like features are similar channels carved into the ground, Hansen has advised me, adding: “Arthur C. Clarke writes great science fiction.”

Cyberbian, if everyone will go to this Mars site you refer to they will find the Motherload of photos hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

The dusting of snow outlines hundreds of mostly statues and structures on Mars. Enlarge the photo then take a high quality magnifying glass and stretch or bend the image you are viewing in the photo. The first time you look at the South Pole photo you will pick out a few anomolies the more you come back to the photo day after day your eye and brain will start to pick up on what I am seeing. Again this is a magnificent find. Rik Riley

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rikriley

I don't know if you noticed the scale of the biggest (1296.8 MB) image, 24.7 cm per pixel.

The false RGB images are usually half the resolution, and if that is the case then the resolution of the false colour image is around 50 cm per pixel.

Edit: I forgot to say that that site has been working for more than one year, and if I have my statistics right they have 2209 different images online.

[edit on 5/1/2008 by ArMaP]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Thanks ArMap, I will continue to view these enlarged photos of Mars. My wife usually has a hard time seeing any of the anomolies and was over whelmed when she started seeing many of anomolies from this photo of the South Pole. I am in the process of moving and will have more time next week to view the photos and give you and up date on what I see. These Martonians are very intelligent they will use an area of complex structures that come together on the ground to look like humanoids. The Martonians also have incredible statues with unique designs and heiroglyphs By the way Happy New Year. Rik

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

All the open-mindedness in the world won't change some of the requisites for complex life to exist.

Take an amount of different sands, put them on a cup, mix them well, and throw them in the floor.

Does it appear all uniform? Or in some positions some kinds of sands seem to agglomerate together with more frequency, while being non existent in others?

Now imagine that small amount of sand as the big universe we live in. Isn't it possible that we might be living in one of those agglomerates where oxygen is more likely to be found?

In fact, isn't it possible that, considering the never ending size of the universe, our planet just happens to not include all the elements that could possibly create life? Or even elements that would lead to the creation of stuff that could hardly be fit into what we consider to be life or non-life?

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtal_Phusion
Any vegetation here is imaginary. White = snow and Gray = soil (including rocks, sand, gravel, etc.). It's just not that difficult!

...I hope your kidding. There is no snow on mars. ever. snow is a form of frozen water. If you suggest that there is snow on mars, you suggest there is water, which would make the OP's claim a few billion times more likely.

But to the point, that is an incredibly intriguing picture. Perhaps it is craters, or some type of disturbance that has caused a deeper layer of darker soil to be uncovered. Maybe it is an incredibly dense field of rocks.

Great find OP

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by avingard

Water exists on Mars at the triple point.

Small differences in elevation, seasons, and solar heating here and there can cause it to vary.

In fact, Mars has a great deal of water, just not as a liquid or ice on its surface. Think freezing slush boiling away.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Matyas

According to ESA, the ice on Mars poles shifts from pole to pole (today the south pole has the bigger ice cap, but it wasn't allways like that) because of the transference of water vapour between poles.

The scientists set the clock 21 000 years back, when the closest vicinity of the planet to the Sun corresponded to the northern summer – a situation opposite to that of today.

The model has shown that water at the North Pole was in an unstable condition and was easily transported to the South Pole in the form of water vapour, to then re-condense and freeze on the surface. Up to 1 millimetre of water ice was deposited at the South Pole every year. After Mars has spent more than 10 000 years in that climatic configuration, this accumulation led to a layer up to 6-metre thick.

About 10 000 years ago the precession cycle was inverted, and started to return to its current configuration. Water-ice at the South Pole became unstable, and was forced to progressively return back to the North.

About 1000 years ago, by a not-yet-well explained trigger mechanism, the erosion of the water-ice deposits at the South pole was blocked as soon as layers of CO2 ice were deposited on the water-ice and trapped it, as OMEGA has observed them.

Source

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by avingard

I should add to my previous post that there is water on mars, but it's in very small amounts and not as we think of water on earth, a good deal of it is also in the atmosphere.

The picture looks very...uninteresting. Does anyone know the resolution of these photos?

p.s. Oh wait, someone already corrected my above water comment. Good call whoever that was

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
There are several images in this thread (go back and start looking around page 12 or so...) that show the rover tracks leaving what appears to be muddy prints. Some say it is electrostatic action causing clumping of fine dust to pack between the tracks...but i am not sure i buy that one. Zorgon has shown us the one with the wheels spinning out, animated.

We have animated images of clouds, wisping lazily across the sky. We have images of sunset atmosphere. Images of what look like small puddles of water in a low lying 'riverbed".

I am unsure where any water debate may come from. If we question where it went/currently is, that is one thing. But doesn't it seem settled that water is on Mars (by NASA's own admission)?

An interesting daydream i had: if the Expanding Earth theory is true, that might explain where Mars' water went.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
This is incredibly fascinating. I would love to accept that there is vegetation on Mars, but I am sure it would have made much bigger news in the general population especially considering NASA etc are still sending probes to investigate the slight possibility of life. Yes there is water on the planet (ice at least) so what stops the possibility of life.
Having said that, shadowing effects could ccount for it as with the "face" and pyramids. Remember, the face of Jesus and Mary have been seen in snow, clouds and various foods............or is that something for a completely different thread

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

VIKINGANT, you agree that there is water on the planet Mars or ice at least. I believe there is much more water on Mars then we are being told especially subsurface water. You ask what stops the possibility of life on Mars. From many different photos taken of Mars I agree there is plenty of biological lifeforms on the surface. My opinion is what stops the possibility of life on Mars is the powers from NASA not telling you there is really life on Mars. Rik Riley

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rikriley

You are absolutley spot on .

There is plenty of water and recent observations have even indicated the possibility of flowing water as a result of rising temps on Mars.
I also beleive there is active "life" but as for forests I am not so sure. Would the Rover have not pick this up? and if the pics were doctored to not show the forests how can we believe the rover even made it and if thats the case can we truely believe anything from NASA......

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I know that for those that consider that all space agencies work together to hide things from the public, what I will say means nothing.

NASA is not the only space agency with a satellite orbiting Mars, ESA also has one that is mapping the whole planet.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Confucius Say...
If a Rover landed on Earth in the Sahara Desert or Nevada would it see the huge Redwood forests in California?

Did they go? Are they on Mars? I think so....

Ever wondered who keeps cleaning the dust off those pesky little rovers? You really believe magic 'dust devils' come along at convenient times and clean them off? We have dust devils here too... trust me they do not do selective cleaning....

This was the situation as of January 3, 2005 and the power levels of Spirit were dropping because of the same layer of dust on the solar panels

(BTW Notice the color tabs on this version? That's the color they are SUPPOSED to be... now go compare this with those images from NASA that are 'reddened' and other conspiracy sites where they 'lean to the blue'
)

Before and After a Cleaning Event on Spirit March 03, 2005

I call this next set...
The Amazing Self Cleaning Sundial

Sol-662-2P185044696RADAJB1P2095L256C1

Sol-941-2P209900443RADAS00P2092L456C1

Sol-1120-2P224100632RADASG0P2122L257C1

Sol-1163-2P229612878ESFASP2111L234567M1

Sol-1170-2P230231922RADAT25P2122L257C1

Sol-1183-2P229612878RADASP2111L234567C1

Sol-1293-2P241153267ESFAUCMP2111L234567M1

SOL-1337-2P245056853ESFAVEFP2111L234567M1

NASA would have you believe that Dust Devils are responsible for this amazing feat of cleaning. These are just a few random selected SOLs from Spirit Rover.... When time allows I will search the archives extensively of both Rovers and get a more accurate time line of clean and dirty images... but the above selection clearly shows something is not right with the 'official' version...

Looks like it had a real overhaul around SOL 1293... that thing looks spotless...
That is some 'Dust Devil"

To see more evidence of 'selective cleaning' read now Ted Twietmeyer's report...
Mars Spirit Mission: Is It Real?
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Adirondack and Spirit's Arm
Sol-30-2-129026770-6

Day 30 on Mars and all gleaming clean, not a spot of dust....

[edit on 10-1-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
As a kid growing up in a part of the U.S. where it would snow in the winter and thaw in the spring, I was always fascinated by the interesting patterns the snow and ice would make as it melted, particularly when there was any sort of dirt present. As I got older, I understood the patterns were a result of uneven heat absorption that differed between the slightly darker dust/dirt and the white of the snow.

Try to explain to some people that's the same kind of thing going on with Mars, and they hoot you out of town as an horrible skeptic who can't see how "obvious" it is that there is vegetation growing. They won't believe me, and they won't believe NASA/JPL. And ten years from now, a lot of mini-Hoaglands will be plastering those same images up on their websites as "proof" of life on Mars.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NohupAnd ten years from now, a lot of mini-Hoaglands will be plastering those same images up on their websites as "proof" of life on Mars.

10 years from now I expect to be posting pictures of the 40 year old settlements on Mars as we send a new crew

new topics

top topics

<< 55  56  57    59 >>

join