It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Station: Imus Remarks 'Inappropriate'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but it has to do with media so here you go:

The radio station that produces Don Imus' talk show pledged to keep tabs on its content after he apologized for calling the players on Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy headed hos."

"We are disappointed by Imus' actions earlier this week which we find completely inappropriate," WFAN-AM said in a statement Friday. "We fully agree that a sincere apology was called for and will continue to monitor the program's content going forward."

Imus apologized Friday for the comments made earlier this week on his nationally syndicated program.
The National Association of Black Journalists demanded the immediate firing of the "Imus in the Morning" host. Imus questioned the players' looks, describing them as tattooed "rough girls." His producer compared the team — which has eight black members — to the NBA's Toronto Raptors.
"You can apologize, but what does that mean when you have a history of making disparaging remarks about people?" Lee asked about the acid-tongued Imus. "This kind of behavior must be punished. I hope the company and sponsors he has take some sort of action ... to educate him."

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said.

"Man, they got tattoos ..."

"Some hardcore hos," said McGurk.

"That's some nappy headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

External Source

Here's a video also:

When i saw the video, I couldnt help but laugh, b/c what he said was so ridiculous. (Plus i had never heard an old white man say nappy headed) I understand that he is a shock jock and everything, but he has a history of saying insensitive things, a forced apology does no use. I think he should be fired or at least suspended for a while. What do yall think?

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
They both need to be reprimanded in some manner.

Ho's is not a respectable term for any woman.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This is a tough one. Every morning while I'm getting ready for work I switch TV channels between Imus, the local morning show, and Mike & Mike on ESPN 2. Imus is a good interviewer and has some really good guests. No doubt he's over the top, but there's usually something funny that will get a big laugh out of me.

Now this particular comment I don't find funny. Nor do I find it appropriate to pick on a team of college athletes in that manner. Yeah, go after the Washington power brokers and captains of industry. That's fair game, at least to me.

And therein lies the problem. The guy makes a living being outrageous, so it shouldn't be a big revelation that he's eventually going to say something that will offend you. Hell, EVERYTHING he says will offend SOMEBODY. Everyone draws lines, and we all draw them in different places. The only way to keep from crossing one is to remain perfectly still.

And this probably makes no difference at all, but here's some info about the Imus Ranch, a charity he set up for kids with cancer, blood disorders, and who have lost siblings to SIDS.

He was also instrumental in bringing the problems of the Walter Reed Hospital to the forefront. (Google up Imus Walter Reed).

So, yes he said something stupid. It's schtick. Let it go.

My question is, how does ANYONE listen to that no-talent hack Howard Stern? Talk about no redeeming value. And he's- Just. Not. Funny.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm must say that what he said was racist and sexist all in one. But YEAHRIGHT i'm glad that you included information about what he does for kids with cancer and other problems. Now in no way does this make what he said better (because i a m still offened) but it does help me see him more as a human being.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Imus is a vile human being.

I greatly admire what he does with the Kids Ranch ... but other than that...

I have tried to watch Imus in the Morning. It's just rank and vile. The language is crass. His comments about the women were even further out of line than usual. Disgusting.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of Imus, but this seems pretty tame compared to what other morning shock jocks have done and said.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I greatly admire what he does with the Kids Ranch ...

The only reason I admire him for that is the way he's been able to make his second home into a self-supporting charity and tax writeoff for having just a handful of kids there for a few weeks in the summer.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
he's been able to make his second home into a self-supporting charity and tax writeoff

OOOOOOOOOOH. I should have figured that. :shk: And here I was giving the disgusting creature some credit for doing something good. Gawd ... and I find out on Easter morning too. How sad.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Bah. Imus has enough money to buy his own cattle ranch several times over, and tell everybody to take a leap, if he's so inclined. He doesn't need to spend his own money, time, and effort in this charitable endeavor. It just so happens he wants to do something for sick kids.

He's not a journalist, or political hack. He's an entertainer; a host of what amounts to a comedy show, much like Jon Stewart (who I think, along with Steven Colbert, is hilarious). His shtick is what I'd call "The Old Curmudgeon".

Imus isn't everybody's cuppa tea, and I really don't care about him that much, one way or the other. Fact is, he's gored enough oxen that he's a high-profile target. Not that he cares. But I do think his charitable work is laudable.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
not to hijack...

did anyone read the ticker along the bottom??? It says Keith Richards snorted coc aine mixed with his fathers ashes! i just threw up into my mouth.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline

Since English in not my mother tongue, what does "nappy headed hos" means exactly?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I have always kind of liked Imus. With that being said, he has a tendency of saying things that are better left unsaid and this is one of them. He probably crossed the line this time.

[edit on 9-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

Since English in not my mother tongue, what does "nappy headed hos" means exactly?

nappy headed is a bad reference to the type of hair most typically darker skin black people have
ho is a woman who sleeps around. short for whore.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Nappy is apparently another word that whiter-skinned people can't use, but has been embraced by the darker-skinned people, much like the n-word.

nappyhairaffair.com...
www.nappyroots.com...
www.carolivia.org...

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I've never seen or heard his show.
I could care less about him one way or the other.

My concern is that there are some people who could get away with saying what he said and other people who will be called out for saying this.

If you had a rap song that used the exact same language that Immus used would there be an outcry from Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson?

We can't have language that is protected if used by one race by a moral outrage if used by another race. That, in my opinion, is a clear case of racist thought.

The language is either outragous, or it isn't. It shouldn't matter what race the speaker is.

I'm not defending Immus. I think that the language had no business being on any radio, TV or other forum.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I will say this, I am not much of a supporter of political correctness. However, I don't think it's right to make racial slurs regardless of your color.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

My concern is that there are some people who could get away with saying what he said and other people who will be called out for saying this.

If you had a rap song that used the exact same language that Immus used would there be an outcry from Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson?

We can't have language that is protected if used by one race by a moral outrage if used by another race. That, in my opinion, is a clear case of racist thought.

The language is either outragous, or it isn't. It shouldn't matter what race the speaker is.

I'm really not going to delve into this to much (because i feel like you are indirectly referring to the n-word) but...It depends on how you say it. For example if your talking with your friend and he/she says "your stupid" in a joking/friendly manner. You prob. wont be offended. But If some one else you dont know says 'Your stupid' . You are going to be like what the hell, and quite upset. Its the intent. He knew better. My friends and I have said "nappy headed" in joking manner, it offends no one. But if I run up to another black female and say 'you have nappy hair' it's going to be a problem. I'm not sure if i explained myself clearly ...but thats my 2cents

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I believe that he has the right to say it, as it is free speech, an integral
freedom protected by the Constiution.

Whether or not he is fired or suspended or reprimanded or whatever is
up to the radio station to decide, which will be influenced by public
opinion in the end

I do believe what he said was offensive, and I personally would like to
see him fired for saying it, but I dissaprove of the media witchhunt that
has stemmed from this.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Do girls bb players usually have large bouncy ponytails.

Thats all I noticed when forced into this as the media needs this to keep
from more important matters like the lies it promotes.

Well I think its a common thing for the girl players to have pony tails.

Too bad if you don't like it.

IMUS got caught in his own evil thoughts.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

nappy headed is a bad reference to the type of hair most typically darker skin black people have
ho is a woman who sleeps around. short for whore.

Perhaps IMUS was being correct because other groups have similar
hair conditions, don't keep it to the blacks.

As a child I recall saying I was with some people and got a different
term for such hair and the girl had red hair and seemed very Irish.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Just in from FOX,

MSNBC has canceled its television cable simulcast of Imus in the Morning....

top topics

join