It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where would I go?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I was thinking the other night where I would go with my family to survive if I had to leave civilization and would like to hear what ideas my fellow ATSers have about this.

Here is my situation: I am a nurse with emergency medical/biohaz/hazmat training. I am also a camper and former boy scout. I am married with three daughters ages 14 to 6.

My criteria is this: I want a place that has fresh water, resources to build shelter, wildlife to eat, and a climate that does not sway too far either way.

I am in the US but I am willing to relocate. I also would like any info on current inhabitants of location and if there would be a problem with an American "squatting" on their land/country.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Still waiting for some ideas folks.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'd say go to Canada tonnes of fresh water there

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The best place would be a woodland far away from any other people. It probably will have everything you are looking for.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I have traveled quite a bit around the globe & my ideal place would be Northern Alabama. Plenty of virgin forest & plenty of 100 acre+ tracts of land for sale cheap. Natural springs, lakes & rivers abound & deer & turkey are plentiful enough to be somewhat of a hazard when driving. Walnuts, Hickory nuts, Mulberrys, Blue Berries ,Black berries, Wild Persimmons & Plums are abundant. Winters never sink lower than 15 degrees F & then only for a rare day or two. Summers are in the 80's & nineties. Local geology includes layered slate outcroppings that are easily turned into building blocks. In addition, coal deposits can be found close to or on the surface & flake gold can be found in most gravels. People are very friendly but respect your need for privacy. Downsides are insects & poisonous snakes. I already have my place picked out.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Your first concern should be getting out, not where you're going. That part comes after you're out of immediate danger. You might not have to move- hunkering down in the burbs can actually be done. Since you have a mass of noncombatants with you, that's the course I'd want to take. It is you and your wide in charge of defending them. Get to the suburbs or a rural area- that would be best.

As for feeding your family, growing produce is generally not only easier (in that it is generally more consistent and most people have the necessary skills) but less dangerous. a well on your property fills the need for fresh water.

DE

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well, I have thought about staying put. The only thing that cocerns me with that plan is others looking to loot and/or wanting help or shelter from me. I don't know about anybody else but if this kind of scenario ever came to be, my first priority would be my family and I would not be in a very giving mood. I also think that I would have a hard time defending my house on all sides if the s*** started hitting the fan.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The simplest solution for that is bring in extended family or friends. don't try to solo it. You'd have enough defenders, enough resources if you pooled together everything to withstand a lot of punishment. Again, the burbs or a rural area is the place to be- don't try it in an urban environment, because urban environments are death.

DE

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I live in Ontario and share in your thoughts.I really don't know where to go but I will be leaving the city I'm in for a more remote area. My hope is to gather enough people together to benefit us all.Various walks of life would be helpfull too: doctors, hunters, botanist maybe. Anyone willing to get along to help us all survive whatever happens.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I live in Ontario and share in your thoughts.I really don't know where to go but I will be leaving the city I'm in for a more remote area. My hope is to gather enough people together to benefit us all.Various walks of life would be helpfull too: doctors, hunters, botanist maybe. Anyone willing to get along to help us all survive whatever happens.

I have thought about this alot, and being in Ontario myself, I think that the further North you drive, the safer it gets. I think i'd settle somewhere around Hudson's bay, possibly in Nunavut.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I don't even think you need to go that far. I'm stationed near Owen's Sound, and even up this far folks are fairly scarce. That's not so much the problem as finding food or keeping it there. Like I said, have a place to go, and go there. There's plenty of Crown land to be bought up from Sudbury to the Sault, I'm reasonably sure. Plus, it's great hunting land.

DE

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I have thought about this alot, and being in Ontario myself, I think that the further North you drive, the safer it gets. I think i'd settle somewhere around Hudson's bay, possibly in Nunavut.

I live in Ontario as well, and this was precisely my thoughts. I was thinking that ultimately ending up around Algonquin Park would be a good spot to settle. Although seeing as if anything happened I would likely be on bike, it could take quite a while

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I live in B.C. and there is plenty of lakes to fish in, plenty of natural short term shelters, and tonnes of water. Ive got to say the best drinking water is straight from a water-fall. The area where I live in I can walk a short few km's and Im in the woods. It would be a wise idea to carry water purification tablets just to be on the safe side. I also strongly agree that you and your family should come first. Now that summer is approaching, Ill be heading out into the forests in my area to practise my survival skills.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
This is a common question here and on other forums. It comes up quite frequently. The problem is, most people have a preconceived notion of what Sit-X will be. The fact is, none of us know what events precipitate Sit-X. We have no way of knowing what areas will be affected or how easy/difficult travel will be. The very last situation you want to find yourself or your family in is being stuck en-route.

My family plan includes a comprehensive Shelter-in-Place vs. Cut-and-Run checklist. We live about 50mi outside a city. Whether we stay or go and where we go will be dictated by what actually happens. If at all possible we would stay. We have a well, wildlife that can be hunted (rabbit, deer, squirrel, turkey, dove) and a stockpile of supplies. Of equal importance, we have neighbors that can be marshalled to provide mutual security and support.

The key is to carefully (and accurately) understand the situation, develop enough relaible intellgence as to how the situation is developing, and know with a very high degree of certainty that your destination would provide a better survival probability than your current location AND you have a very high probability of reaching it and reaching it safely.

[edit on 4-5-2007 by jtma508]

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Thanks for all the great comments. Based on what a lot of you have said and what I have read/researched, I have found a place here in the states. It has a small lake with fish, wildlife to hunt, well water, and shelter already in place. Now I just need to work on stocking up on supplies. I am going to use jtma's plan and start a Stay or Go checklist.

Jtma, can you give me an idea of what criteria you have listed to either stay or go?

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Here in the UK it's a different matter...practically the whole country is either urban/suburban, and the last place you'd want to be in the event of a mass catastrophe is either Wales or Cumbria/Northumbria, the populations of Manchester/Newcastle/Liverpool would turn the place into a barbarian refugee camp within a week.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Sure... this is an excerpt from an otherwise 32 page document. It is crafted uniquely for our location and situation (your mileage may vary).

Overview:
In an emergency the first decision that needs to be made is whether to Shelter-In-Place (SIP) or Cut-And-Run (CAR). The criteria for that decision are:

Reasons to Shelter-In-Place:
• Our home contains the largest possible cache of supplies and resources
• We are intimately familiar with the surrounding area and its resources
• We have well water and a generator
• We have extensive communications capabilities
• We have localized freedom and means of movement
• Family knows where to find us
• We have neighbors and can work together for mutual protection/support
• We have harvestable wildlife
• We have cultivatable land
• We are best able to protect ourselves and our property

Reasons to Cut-And-Run:
• The immediate area has become or has a high likelihood of becoming toxic (NBC) and there is a reasonable expectation of being able to reach a safe area.
• The immediate area has become or has a high likelihood of becoming geologically unstable (earthquakes), significantly flooded or at risk of wild fire
• The area is under an official mandatory evacuation where police are using force to impose the order. Only if officials are using force should this be a consideration.

Final Cut-And-Run Considerations and Reality Check:
• No matter how many supplies we can evacuate with, at some point we will have to abandon everything except what we can personally carry.
• We abandon the ability to protect ourselves and will no longer have freedom of movement
• We are relying on the government’s ability to make decisions for our safety and provisioning
• We will be huddled with large numbers of under-provisioned and frightened people presenting a sizeable security and public health risk
• We are effectively abandoning the contents of our home to destruction and looting
• No one will know where we are.
• The Jeep has a nominal range of 320 miles on a full tank of gas. In a situation requiring C-A-R the liklihood of securing more fuel is remote at best.

Shelter-In-Place Considerations:
• Will we be shelter-bound or free to move throughout the house?
• No one should be encouraged to join us (friends or family) unless absolutely necessary. Additional people significantly reduce the longevity of our stores. If people are allowed to come they should:
o Bring adequate clothing & bedding
o Bring as much non-perishable food as they can carry
o Bring sufficient personal care items
o Be prepared to work and follow instructions
o Not discuss our arrangements with anyone else
• We currently have no means to heat the house using locally collected materials (wood) once our existing fuel is exhausted

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Very good points JTMA, but I think we should start a UK-dedicated survival thread on methodologies to survive/fight...we can't carry guns for a start, most of us live within only a few miles of a major city, and there is very little open country outside those cities to accomodate the masses....any suggestions? (apart from hunt and eat the obese)

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Yea, smith, your situation is entirely different. It would be most comparable to someone living in a major metropolitan area here in the US. The problem for those of you in the UK is that, as you point out, there is nowhere to go. Where someone here in the US living in a high population density area (like a metro area) at least has the option of humping it to a less dense area, you folks in the UK can't. You're surrounded by water and, in the event of Sit-X, your borders will likely be closed. Scotland?

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Intresting!

I live in a big city and if the s##t hits the fan. I'm going in my room, closing the door, getting on my bed and then I will hide under the duvet.

After the dust has settled. I'll be out looting at Prada, so I can look good as I hunt down my next meal of unlucky homeless person.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join