It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noticing an increase in large quotes in thread replies...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
post when they are the

Yabbut.....quoting odd, random bits and expanding on them while maniacally chortling is a hoot. Especially if you can get someone to respond to them.

I think you needed a comma in there. Maybe a colon or semi-colon. I know an ampersand would be a fly in the ointment. Or a pig in a poke? Never mind.

EDIT: Woot!!! I own the second page!!!!

[edit on 7-4-2007 by MrPenny]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Thanks skeptic. I know I often wonder if I am quoting too much.
I try to quote enough to show what I am replying to and edit out the unecessary bits. Sometimes I worry I have quoted too much.. if that happens I will understand if I get a warning although thankfully I have not had that happen as yet.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Wow. There are so many rules to go through. I hope there's some understanding
of newbies on this site trying to catch up. But there's so much good reading to do. I
guess I wouldn't be able to plead ignorance on a site that denies it....

thanx skeptic.

I barely know how to send you guys a message. I'm like Dave Rabbit was a couple
years ago.

Is there anyway to DOWNLOAD an entire thread, to print out and read on the couch?

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm new here, but far from being a newbie of forums!

What gets me is when people quote someone that is the last reply. Of course you will know who you're replying to because the person is right above you.

I always try to crop my qoutes to highlight the exact issue that I'm discussing!

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Mea Culpa...thanks for the heads up.

Peace &
Good Fortune
OBE1

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Thank you well understood. Hope things will be cool

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Thank you well understood. Hope things will be cool

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
What ATS needs is a quote system that works like a spoiler tag. Maybe it can be done so that the quote doesn't load until you show it?

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I think it was expressed earlier in the thread, but what really "BUGS" me is when someone "Quotes" the ENTIRE post directly before theirs.

I mean, to quote a part of it for emphasis is OK, but why the whole thing when it is sitting there for all to see anyway?

I suggest a MASS U2U to all members to read this thread...

Just my .02

Semper

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I suggest a MASS U2U to all members to read this thread...
Just my .02
Semper

I agree with semp, I have seen a lot of it as well,
drives me nuts

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   
ENOUGH already.......... just stop the nonsense......

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
A). What is the character limit on quotes, if any?

B). Is there a limit on number of quotes per reply?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'm seeing another increase in GIGANTIC QUOTES... and especially replies with quoted quotes of quoted replies to quotes.

Please people... please... edit your quotes to contain only the important points from the post you're replying to.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
and remember,

If you're not sure how to quote portions of a post, please just ask a friendly neighborhood Moderator, we'll be glad to help.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
well if you dont want us quoting how about giving us an alternative like "reply to:" so that when we click on it our post will be directed to that previous poster and maybe they can get a U2U announcement everytime they get a response to a post.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by razor1000
well if you dont want us quoting how about giving us an alternative like "reply to:"

You misunderstand... it's not that we don't want our members to quote (if that were the case, there'd be no quote button), we don't want gigantic quotes, and especially quote of quotes nested in quotes. Quoting a the relevant portion of the post you're replying to is an important component of an orderly discussion that is logical for readers to follow. And editing a quote down to the salient portion, or splitting it into several snippets is much easier on the reader than lazily quoting the entire post.

And... we certainly don't like to see posters quoting the entire previous post... no matter how short it might be.

However, your idea is interesting... look for that option coming soon.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by razor1000

All members will now notice that the reply button on individual posts now reads, "REPLY TO:" and inserts a link to the specific post and a divider (like above) into your reply. This makes it easier to indicate what you're replying to, if there's no need for quotes.

The regular reply button at the bottom and top of the thread page does not insert the link.

razor1000 has been awarded 10,000 ATS points for a suggestion that was made real.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well SO its not that i'm misunderstanding what you're saying i just generalized my statement a little bit. i get the point but yeah defenetly gives us an alternative, or you can also change your code to omit chain quotes

hey cool that was quick

[edit on 8/16/2007 by razor1000]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Please do all users and readers of AboveTopSecret.com a favor and reduce the material you quote to the bard minimum needed as a reference for your reply.

hope this works... let me see...

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Please do all users and readers of AboveTopSecret.com a favor and reduce the material you quote to the bard minimum needed as a reference for your reply.

that's better...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join