It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are humans hard-wired for faith?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The new field of neurotheology, Scientist working to track how the human brain processes religion, spirituality.

Are we hardwired to believe in God by God itself?. . . or the believe in a higher power is something that has to do with evolution.

Anthropologists like Atran say, "Religion is a byproduct of many different evolutionary functions that organized our brains for day-to-day activity."

Could it be posible that the reason some people believe in religion is not because God wants them so but because is something that is learned and shared by others around the world through the development of human beings and their eviroment?

To be sure, religion has the unparalleled power to bring people into groups. Religion has helped humans survive, adapt and evolve in groups over the ages. It's also helped us learn to cope with death, identify danger and finding mating partners.

Perhaps the thought of religion and the believe of a higher being is nothing more than a social need to be shared with others.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
neurotheology? doesn't evolutionary psychology already deal with the evolution of brain functions and possible predispositions towards it?

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
It seems that now is going to be an entire field with funding on their won on this subject.

I guess like that funding will not be included in other study subjects.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
As a Non-believer i cant believe we are wired to believe . Since it never even crossed my mind that a god (or more) could have created everything. Looking at the whole creation thingy i always raise the question "Then who made God???" , i believe that sience gives us a much beter idea on the creation from anything ranging from : Stars to DNA.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Spartannic,

I think that the whole concept of having this new field is actually to bring the issue that “People of faith that believe they can communicate with God” is because they actually believe to have a special direct link to God and that is God the one that chose them. . .

If you read the article it tells that perhaps is the brain the one that has created this dependency and believe of religion and a higher being.

More to do with evolution and society needs than actually a doing of a higher being.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Sorry i dind't read the atricle before i posted

Maybe one day they are going to explain the god thingy . but the idea that faith has been developed by our brains as a evolutionair process is kinda far fetched , Dont u guys think so? And the claim that religion has brought ppl together is true, it also devided Humanity!

Nice find m8!! Makes u wonder how Faith is experienced by believers .

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I don't think religion is hard wired into humans because if it were everyone would believe. People simply need a scapegoat for the terrible things that happen to them.

"Well, it sucks billy got hit by that truck but it must be god's will." No, it's because he walked in front of traffic without looking!

"Mom just got diagnosed with lung cancer but it's okay because it's god's will." No, it was the 2 packs of cigs she smoked a day.

It is a way to keep people in check. The population will be more inclined to be good people if they think the alternative is hellfire.

People need something to believe in when times are tough and I don't blame them. If it keeps the general population from resorting to anarchy then by all means, keep on believing.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I find it alot like the rift you see between Liberal and Conservative minded people. Each side looks at the other with distaste and confusion. How could anyone sane think what they think?

And so it seems with Religion and Atheism. Both sides think that there point of view is obvious and logical. How can you not see God? Isn't it obvious in everything around you? Or... Can't you see that it's just a myth, a large scale delusion? A form of social control?

People seem to have quite different states on mind that are alien to each other.
As seen in all the fun between Muslims and Americans lately.

And I think it is built in to people. Not just learned from parents.
You can see in very young children their leanings towards or away from religion. Some are deeply affected. Some just don't see the point (the ones that fidget and play up at church
).

Religion is Biological.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The question/argument, 'Is man hard-wired for God?' is suggesting that belief is our default position... not a wrong/untrue position aimlessly culled by selection. Heck, if one were so inclined, they could use this to show that belief is seen to be good even by evolutionary standards ie, we're built for it... if one were so inclined that is

I read about this last month on the streetprophets (here) and telicthoughts (here) blogs after the New York Times article that seems to have also inspired this CNN article marge6043 posted. Both blogs I linked have alot of info and links (to good primary refs aswell) on this if ya'll are interested.

PS madnessinmysoul,

I believe that Neurotheology would be a subset of Evolutionary Psychology... I think.

Anyway it's a lot more complicated and a heck of a lot deeper than:

Religion is Biological

In my opinion,
-Rren

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I think that alot of you are getting confused. The idea that our brains are hardwired for faith doesn't necessarily mean they are configured to believe in a God or Gods.

What it can mean, however, is that humans are genetically predisposed to believe in something, whether its God, aliens or whatever.

Think about it. People who believe in aliens give the same explanation as people who adamantly believe in God... They just know. Its also how atheists think. They just know there isn't a God.

Faith isn't just about religion.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Hi Marge,

Your post reminded me of a study they did in 2004 (I think). It was called the God Gene.

Google link to stories:

www.google.com...

I thought it was fascinating. Some people seemed to have it and some did not.

I think most of us are born to seek God. But that is just my opinion. I seek for answers about God and religion every single day. I seemed to be driven to do it.

My Honeypie, who is not sure if he beleives there is a God. Does not seek religious answers, but turns to science.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I see it this way . . .when we are born we come to this world with the memories of the other side from were we originated. . .

But at some time during the early childhood forming years we get influenced by our surroundings, parents, grandparents and other close family members and the link the our pre born memories are forgotten, then our lives become nothing more than learned experiences given to us by our parents first and then society.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I think our main purpose and mission in life is to find our way back to God.

Just my personal belief.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
i think it's not so much that we're hard-wired for faith. it appears that humanity has these various instincts that overlap and make faith something that is easier to accept.

think about it this way, how many times have you given antropomorphic properties to the computer you're on? how many times have you pleaded with a piece of technology in a futile attempt to get it to work?

humanity has a tendency to attribute human characteristics to inanimate objects, why wouldn't we do the same with the universe?

new topics

top topics

join