It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why eggs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Modemizer
Just a way to materialize and merchandize another holiday. If there is a way to make money off of something they will pimp the hell out of it. That is what Santa and the bunny is really for.

I agree - they've started selling Easter Card's now, it's all a load of crap. It's terrible to feel forced to buy people things, I don't mind giving people gifts out of kindness, but I don't want to feel obliged to.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Some of the posters have it quite correct but have not quite taken it sufficiently far.

While you can find this book indexed on the web it is very difficult to find in most book stores..including Christian book stores.

The Two Babylons

by Alexander Hislop Circa 1916

In this book Alexander Hislop details extensively the origins of many of our holidays from Paganism.

THe ironic thing is that many of todays preachers know these origins and yet do not teach this truth from thier pulpits or in thier bible classes. So deeply are these pagan origins entrenched in Christianity that most preachers teaching and enforcing the truth would find themselves out of a job.

THe plain sad truth about these holidays and even the Easter Eggs is that todays Christian is ignorant of just about everything including Christianity.

Hislop details the origins of the word Easter on page 103 of his book as
coming from ancient Chaldea and the worship of Astarte. A title of the Queen of Heaven. THis belief system also introduced into Britian and the Druids. In the bible this has reference to the worship forbidden to the Hebrews in the Groves and High places.
In the worship of Astarte...there is often found by archeologists the carvings of the Egg..in fertility. As I recall the dogma Astarte the consort of the god Bel or Baal came down from heaven in an egg.

Yes some of the posters have the tradition correct in that life was worshiped and therefore the origins of life and all the symbols of life were therefore worshiped. This is why you see the references to animals which are quite proliferous in their reproduction or very strong as in the bull. Also in keeping with the traditions of fertility..eggs were quite common as a symbol of life. THese types of religions are often catalogued as fertility cults or fertility worship. Nature worship is another variation of this ancient tradition of men. Sun worship is another. THe name most people know them under is Paganism. Very very prominant today.

The very intresting thing is that neither is this taught in any history in public schools. If you know this history you can spot variations of this Pagan/Eastern dogma of fertility being promoted all around you every day through the various merchandizing mediums.
As I have stated many times here on ATS/BTS ..so many Christians are ignorant about every and anything including thier so called Christianity. THey havent a clue in their ignorance. THey are in fact mixing olde wine with new...leven with unleven and dont even know it.

This is not Christianity ..it is Paganism disguised as Christianity.
A counterfit.

Also the ironic thing about this history is that many Pagans think that much of Christianity is Christian and do not know the origins of the infiltrations ...not all but many. THey too have bought the dogmas without knowing.
IN many of the debates in ATS/BTS you have two groups who appear on opposite sides of a issue yet both have in thier dogmas pagan origins and they are often not even aware of this. It is the same with many Athiests. Many of them too do not know of the Pagan origins of much of what constitutes Christianity today.

Also in The Two Babylons is the details of the origins of Christmas/Lady Day,origins of the cross, etc etc.

This is a very difficult to read book as it is full of details, footnotes and woodcuts. Also the print is of the very olde style and very small. It takes some dedication and perseverence to finish this tome. It is however, very informative to those who like to read this type of history.

When I had digested this book and other volumes on related subject matter , gave up Christmas, Easter, Halloween and even birthdays. I too became disgusted with the man made merchandizing associated with them.
Not for me.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
i heard that it is something to do with the fact that the stone was being rolling away from the cave that jesus was in.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Why does it have to be a counterfeit if it parrallels a pagan belief? Christian Easter celebrates the resurrection of Christ, eggs are the pagan symbol for fertility, as are rabbits. With Jesus resurrecting, a symbol of life would be the perfect way to show that Jesus has shed his mortal shell. This I ask for you to answer: should we not share great ideas? As Christians, you know what you beliefs are, refusing to use pagan symbols to celebrate the greatest notion in your religion is ignorant to put it bluntly; a "pagan idea" shouldn't be stopping you from using the best symbolism possible in your celebrations.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Thanks for your post. To my limited knowlege as Christians we are not to celebrate life per se..as do the Pagan traditions.

We are to remember for what He died and yet death did not overcome Him.

Also in the traditions of men..we do not celebrate the fertility rituals and customs. We do not define who and what we are by our fertility/sexuality as is the fashion in times past and is being "Resurrected " today to pass as a standard of excellence. To be proud of ..to glorify.
This is not the Christian way. No well grounded Christian defines themselves by thier sexual orientation or glory. This is Paganism. Yet ironically very few preachers teach this Truth.

There is no instruction for a Hebrew in the Olde Testament to celebrate a birthday as it is considered very bad form to glorify ones self. All Glory is to God. This is quite different from the Pagan traditions and customs. Birthdays however, are found in Pagan traditions and customs.

There is certainly no tradition/custom in Christianity to keep Halloween or All Saints Day as it is come to be recognized in some quarters. You see no biblical instruction to do so.

There is also no instruction to Celebrate His birthday...we are to remember for what he died and was raised and resurrected. Not his physical birth. Such a thing in the hands of men is a counterfit. A substitution of Godly principles throughout both the Olde and New Testament.

This is the record we have of the traditions of men making the Word of God of non effect...by thier tradition. This, by the way, is precisely the trouble the Hebrews are recorded as getting involved into over and over both in the Olde Testament and in the New Testament. Replacing the instructions of God for the man made traditions of the nations surrounding them. THe Christians today are doing exactly this very same thing without many of them even knowing it. They are so ignorant about so many things including Christianity that they dont even know. Many of the Hebrews had been doing this for so many generations that they too thought this was in fact the Law of Moses when it was no such thing.
They had substituted the instructions given to Moses with the traditions of men ...they had privily switched gods...and told no one. They had counterfitted...just as are the Christians today.

It is clear that by 70 AD God had become disgusted with these people and allowed the nation to fall into the hands of the pagans..Romans. This is very telling to Christians.

What you see today as the nation called Israel is not the same nation as was in times past..before 70 AD. They too are the same disobedient people. It does not take much thinking to see this through.

A proper Christian does not mix leven with unleven..new wine with olde.
It is that simple.

One more thing bluesquareapples...Jesus is Life to the knowlegable Christian. Not a symbol of life. Symbols are paganism too. Also something parallel is not the same thing.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 9-4-2007 by orangetom1999]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join